Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: MOA question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default MOA question

I have a question refering to the MOA portion of the rules.

• No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts (except CC‐01, TA ‐02 etc..). No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.

I'm building a C1 with MRC axles, mini summit transmission as a t-case, and an MRC tranny up front. While making a mount for the tranny up front I noticed that it would be really simple to mount it to my axle truss/leaf spring mount. The motor just happens to be mounted to the tranny making it technically mounted to the axle. The rule states that it must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts and it will be. I will not have seperate throttle control either. This will lower my COG and make the tranny/motor unsprung weight thus saving my springs and making it crawl better.

Is it legal?
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Heres some pics of what I'm talking about.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Must be legal
Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I really like the idea/concept etc...but it isnt up to me. It will get brought up in comittee for discusion I am sure.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyZuki View Post

• No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts (except CC‐01, TA ‐02 etc..). No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.

I'm building a C1 with MRC axles, mini summit transmission as a t-case, and an MRC tranny up front. While making a mount for the tranny up front I noticed that it would be really simple to mount it to my axle truss/leaf spring mount. The motor just happens to be mounted to the tranny making it technically mounted to the axle. The rule states that it must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts and it will be. I will not have seperate throttle control either. This will lower my COG and make the tranny/motor unsprung weight thus saving my springs and making it crawl better.

Is it legal?
I would say yes it's legal.
You are not direct driving the axles in any way(As in a Berg or XR10 fashion), your using the drives shafts to drive the axles from the same motor source & not using two motors.

Nice idea, is the motor sitting on the front or rear axle?
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:

Is it legal?
Your motor is on the axle right? The first sentence covers this pretty well. "No motor on axle (MOA) of any kind.
I'd have to say it's illegial but that is only my opinion at the moment. The committee would have to discuss this.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 04-14-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
I would say yes it's legal.
You are not direct driving the axles in any way(As in a Berg or XR10 fashion), your using the drives shafts to drive the axles from the same motor source & not using two motors.

Nice idea, is the motor sitting on the front or rear axle?
It's currently on the front but now you've got me thinkin. Not sure it will work on the back with the drop bed. It's tucked up under the hood pretty well and the inner fenders should hide it completely. Just to spice it up a little, how many guys run servos on the axle? Is that not a motor with a gear box?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
It's currently on the front but now you've got me thinkin. Not sure it will work on the back with the drop bed. It's tucked up under the hood pretty well and the inner fenders should hide it completely. Just to spice it up a little, how many guys run servos on the axle? Is that not a motor with a gear box?
Not really its the same as a hydro steering set up to a degree.

If you ran a motor on your axle that moved the steering that is totally different then a motor on the axle the drives the vehicle IMO. Regardless if that motor has linkage going back to the chassis.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I would say illegal by the wording of the rules..

Quote:
That really does not spice it up at all... the term MOA is used for a motor that is mounted to the axles that then puts the power to the ground to drive the rig.. MOA has never ever had anything to do with steering setups or the tiny motor in the servo...
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Just build a chassis cross member that's similar to your truss then you'll be good
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Old guy

I always thought of a MOA as the motor mounted to the axle powering the axle. His is powering a transfer case.

Again, twice in one day I agree with Grizz.

"No motor on axle (MOA) of any kind......

I don't agree with Grizz about going to the committee, I think it's already there in black and white.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I don't agree with Grizz about going to the committee, I think it's already there in black and white.
You had to find something.......
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
You had to find something.......
How much of that do you think I can take.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I think it's all in the interpretation of this , but you guys are right. My thought on MOA, is the one motor driving the one axle it is mounted on like a 2.2 Comp rig.
Maybe MOA needs to be dropped from the text(not starting anything, just say'n) & it would make better sense.

Just do like Crawln Coles said, mount that setup on a cross member & you should be golden.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
"No motor on axle (MOA) of any kind......

That really is one of the just cut and dry rules to...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I don't think it's that cut and dry.

Like," is that Blue?" " No, it's Bahama Blue"

What's the real intent of the rule? To remove MOA's? To remove the chance of dig? To remove the lack of scale resemblance of a MOA? To piss off Jason?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Kinda like to move forward with the build. Looks like so far it's not black and white. Some look at it like me where the rule is there to keep moa axles out that prevent torque twist and give independant drive. Then there are those that think the rules is writen to prevent me from gaining a low cog and unsprung weight over the term moa. Is there a discusion behind the scenes between the people that wrote the rules? I know I can get away with it at club level and not have an issue but I'd like to have a national ruling so that at the end of the series it's not deamed a cheater truck by the guys that are behind it in points.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Old guy

Well it says as plain as day, No MOAs of any KIND. Your motor is on the axle. Thats how it reads right now.

Do I think what you are doing is the type of MOA the committee was thinking about, NO.
You still have a tranny and a transfer case, the motor is not powering the axle directly. It still is going throught the tranny and the tranfer case just like all the rest. On the other hand,Your motor is mounted to a tranny and the tranny is mounted to the axle.

But the way the rule reads, NO MOA OF ANY KIND, puts your set up in the moa class.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 04-15-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

New term, AOM. Can I mount an axle on a motor?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well it says as plain as day, No MOAs of any KIND. Your motor is on the axle. Thats how it reads right now.

Do I think what you are doing is the type of MOA the committee was thinking about, NO.
You still have a tranny and a transfer case, the motor is not powering the axle directly. It still is going throught the tranny and the tranfer case just like all the rest. On the other hand,Your motor is mounted to a tranny and the tranny is mounted to the axle.

But the way the rule reads, NO MOA OF ANY KIND, puts your set up in the moa class.
I dont know about the rest of the Rules committee.. But this was definitely one of things I considered MOA even before this was done.. Our club has had a local talking about doing this for years..