Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORCCA rules comments, suggestions, and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2012 SORCCA scale rules

Has then been any talk about adding points for towing a trailer? If so, it seems like it would be Alot!
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Has then been any talk about adding points for towing a trailer? If so, it seems like it would be Alot!
We had trailer points for a couple of years but nobody towed one around because it was ridiculous.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I thought I remembered something about trailers, but I wasn't scalin' then.
With the new class 1 and the courses that are designed for it, it might not be so ridiculous.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Tim.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
With the new class 1 and the courses that are designed for it, it might not be so ridiculous.

I think it would.. My class 1 is not real far off from a more mild class 2 rig. It can get around much of the same terrain to..

I know it can get around the same terrain we had a couple years ago when the trailer was in the rules, I know I would not even attempt to pull a trailer across that type of course..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Do it just for fun Jeramy I am sure we as a club can have a discusion about giving points for the trailer if you want to rock it
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Tim,

One of the guys in a local club is asking me about bed toolboxes and im a lil unclear. if a toolbox "functions" as a toolbox and actually holds "tools" is it a funtional item or just scale acc?
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

It could go either way (does it have a funtioning lid that opens and closes) and fall under the etc.. part of either catagory. Either way it is 1 point so it doesnt really matter.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

On cut and shut tires. Might be splitting hairs but what if a banned tire sidewall is used with an approved tire tread? Seems like it would be ok, I dunno? This been talked about before?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #29

yes its functions just like a real tool box and looks like one to
army of one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
On cut and shut tires. Might be splitting hairs but what if a banned tire sidewall is used with an approved tire tread? Seems like it would be ok, I dunno? This been talked about before?
You can't have any part of a banned tire. You can reduce it or narrow it.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 01-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
You can't have any part of a banned tire. You can reduce it or narrow it.
Huh?

Can or can't?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

What's up with people feeling the need to hack up and glue tires together? There are over 20 legal Class 2 tires available from manufacturers, and at least 5 that work really good......

You no longer need to make your own tires guys. Put the scissors and glue down.....put all that creativity into making the TRUCK look and perform better. Save the chopping tire sh!t for Class 3.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
What's up with people feeling the need to hack up and glue tires together? There are over 20 legal Class 2 tires available from manufacturers, and at least 5 that work really good......

You no longer need to make your own tires guys. Put the scissors and glue down.....put all that creativity into making the TRUCK look and perform better. Save the chopping tire sh!t for Class 3.
I think a piece of it is like the Flatirons, when they were legal for Class 2, they gave us a nice wide footprint as compared to the other Class 2 tires. The common cuts I see are TSLs reduced which gives about the same footprint and size as a 2.2 Flatiron and a few cases where people are reducing Pitbulls for the extra width also.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Cause it's still a hobby and people still like to build things.
Sorry, just asking a question about it.

I've seen a few good sets of 1.9 flatiron sidewalls with 2.2 flat iron treads. But both of those tires are not banned though.

I was referring to like a 1.9 rover sidewall on a 2.2 flatiron. Or a 2.2 rover sidewall another 2.2 legal tire to reduce or enlarge. Whatever the case may be.

Just wondering if the whole tire was "banned" or just the tread design.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #35

for class 2, the insides of the front tires not poking out past the sides of the doors seems to favor the larger/wider bodies like the honcho or tamiya hilux.

i'm building a trail ranger based class2, and it just seems kinda off that somebody with a wider body can have a wider track width.

was there a reason for the track width being determined by the body and not just establishing a max track width for the class?

im not debating the rule as much as wanting to understand why.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
I think a piece of it is like the Flatirons, when they were legal for Class 2, they gave us a nice wide footprint as compared to the other Class 2 tires. The common cuts I see are TSLs reduced which gives about the same footprint and size as a 2.2 Flatiron and a few cases where people are reducing Pitbulls for the extra width also.
2.2 Flatirons were never legal for Class 2. They are listed at 4.84" tall by Proline. If cut and shut 2.2 TSL's were legal in C2, everyone would run them and they look out of proportion on a 1.9 rig.

Quote:
Cause it's still a hobby and people still like to build things.
Sorry, just asking a question about it.

I've seen a few good sets of 1.9 flatiron sidewalls with 2.2 flat iron treads. But both of those tires are not banned though.

I was referring to like a 1.9 rover sidewall on a 2.2 flatiron. Or a 2.2 rover sidewall another 2.2 legal tire to reduce or enlarge. Whatever the case may be.

Just wondering if the whole tire was "banned" or just the tread design.
I understand, but allowing all the "frankenstein" tires in C2 just opens it up to people that are trying to make scale legal comp trucks. Hence no reducing and chopping up tires. Mod the tread all you want, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
for class 2, the insides of the front tires not poking out past the sides of the doors seems to favor the larger/wider bodies like the honcho or tamiya hilux.

i'm building a trail ranger based class2, and it just seems kinda off that somebody with a wider body can have a wider track width.

was there a reason for the track width being determined by the body and not just establishing a max track width for the class?

im not debating the rule as much as wanting to understand why.
It's all about proportions. There are so many different sizes and scales of bodies that you can't come up with one particular measurement that covers all vehicles. This allows people to use 1/8 scale bodies up to 1/12th scale bodies. As long as the insides of your tires aren't wider than your doors, and you can fit through a 12" gate, you should be fine. A wider track width isn't always an advantage. I've seen many smaller scale rigs that perform quite well.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #37
Scale Detail Engineering

The only issue I have with the 1.9" wheel limit in C2 is that I'm running a ProLine Bug body... it looks more in proportion with 2.2" wheels on it. 1.9" wheels just look small.
That's why I'd like to run a 2.2 wheel with a tire (cut n shut) that fell under the Max Dia... just to have the 2.2 wheel.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I understand, but allowing all the "frankenstein" tires in C2 just opens it up to people that are trying to make scale legal comp trucks. Hence no reducing and chopping up tires. Mod the tread all you want, but that's it.
Gotcha, guess I failed to mention I was really referring to Class 3 tires.

So is Ricky correct, no part of a "banned tire" can be used to make another tire?
Really just asking about a banned tire sidewall and if it could be used with a legal tread.
Sorry to keep beating this horse!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Gotcha, guess I failed to mention I was really referring to Class 3 tires.

So is Ricky correct, no part of a "banned tire" can be used to make another tire?
Really just asking about a banned tire sidewall and if it could be used with a legal tread.
Sorry to keep beating this horse!
No, a banned tire is a banned tire. No matter if its just a piece of one. Easier to enforce if you just say banned tires are just that.......not legal in any way shape or form. And in resonse to your last post, you can run a 2.2 wheel in Class 2, you would just have to stretch a 1.9 tire over it without modifying the tire carcass.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No, a banned tire is a banned tire. No matter if its just a piece of one. Easier to enforce if you just say banned tires are just that.......not legal in any way shape or form. And in resonse to your last post, you can run a 2.2 wheel in Class 2, you would just have to stretch a 1.9 tire over it without modifying the tire carcass.
Or run a 2.2 tire that is legal height for the class and not on the banned list..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

SORCCA rules comments, suggestions, and questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments, Suggestions and Questions. Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 755 05-01-2015 04:01 PM
2012 SORCCA rules in effect! War Pig Scale Nationals 16 03-19-2012 10:53 AM
2012 SORCCA Scale Rules War Pig Scale Comp Rules 2 01-01-2012 10:48 PM
Am I on the right track? Comments and Suggestions needed. Kingofthehill Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 02-22-2007 12:34 AM