Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: Truggy question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Arrow Truggy question?

Would I still receive points for this even though the main hoop does not go over the cab? Truggy points?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Truggy question?

I guess my question is: Why wouldn't you make a front hoop and tie the shock mounts into it? Not much cab protection and not much structural integrity.

How about this?

War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Your right, I'm just not too good at tube work yet and the tundra cab is a pain to make nice, I was thinking of adding a piece just like you drew, thanks for
The photoshop pic it help seeing a visual lol and it looks good too!!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

you should light that piece of shit on fire for new years.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_version View Post
you should light that piece of shit on fire for new years.
Cant do things like that in hawaii
Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Another question I have is, it says that the length of the body including bumper has to be 3" longer than the wheelbase. A truggy has no rear body and it says the chassis has to be at the back of the pumpkin in the rear. So how does that rule apply when using a truggy and you only have the cab?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Its overall length so if the truggy ends at the ceter of the rear pumpkin,then the front would need to be 3: longer than the center of the front pumpkin to acheive 3" longer than the wheel base.

Nothing says the truggy cant be longer than the rear of the diff so that measurement can also be included in overall if it is infact longer.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
RCC Addict

K gotcha. Thanks for the info
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

One other thing. The 2011 rules were written "slightly" incorrectly. It was suppose to say that the chassis is supposed to be 3" longer than the wheelbase, not the body is supposed to be 3" longer.....the 2012 rules (which I hope to post up tomorrow) will be corrected.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
One other thing. The 2011 rules were written "slightly" incorrectly. It was suppose to say that the chassis is supposed to be 3" longer than the wheelbase, not the body is supposed to be 3" longer.....the 2012 rules (which I hope to post up tomorrow) will be corrected.
Ok I'll be sure to set
My wheelbase accordingly. Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
I guess my question is: Why wouldn't you make a front hoop and tie the shock mounts into it? Not much cab protection and not much structural integrity.

How about this?

Why does it need a bar there? It's still a truggy with or without a roof bar. I'm not liking that "must have roll bar hoop" and you don't have to tie the shocks into the hoop. Maybe a better clarification of that section. I'm not trying to raise a stink, but per design freedom, you shouldn't have to have a roll bar hoop if the truggy section meets the other specifications per what classifies it a truggy.

Here's one I built. Visually a roll bar hoop wasn't what I had pictured when I did it. Now to date there are two of these almost matching rigs running around.

Wally101's Tundra Truggy
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I don't know what to tell you....that's how the rule worked out and was voted on.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

So if myself or one of the two owners out there went to a event using the scale rules, A-Would it be allowed to compete? and B-Would any points be given for the tube work.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

You just sealed the deal for me why the recon G6 is a better format than the lets have a comp style event for scalers, thanks for the clarification, no I will not be attending the scale nats, not worth the trouble

And yes I have one of the 2 rigs r2j is talking about

One more thing, Rock....don't change anything, it looks sick just the way you have it

Last edited by halfcab; 01-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
So if myself or one of the two owners out there went to a event using the scale rules, A-Would it be allowed to compete? and B-Would any points be given for the tube work.
Yes, you could compete. You would get points for a tube bed (-3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab View Post
You just sealed the deal for me why the recon G6 is a better format than the lets have a comp style event for scalers
The G6 is an awesome event, it's just limited in what you can do. There is a place for both scale competitions and G6 type events. I enjoy both.

Quote:
thanks for the clarification, no I will not be attending the scale nats, not worth the trouble
That's fine. If you had any idea what it took to come up with the SORCCA rules as they are written you wouldn't be rolling your eyes. You can't please everyone and sometimes things get left out....it's just how it is.

Quote:
And yes I have one of the 2 rigs r2j is talking about
Cool, I be it's an amazing rig.

Quote:
One more thing, Rock....don't change anything, it looks sick just the way you have it
I agree. You don't get any extra points for running a truggy bed, you can just build it smaller and lighter, hence no extra points.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Yes, you could compete. You would get points for a tube bed (-3).
It's not a tube bed though. But the rules have been voted on, so that is that I guess. Just don't understand the reasoning behind "must have a roll bar hoop". I'm really not trying to be difficult, just wanted a logical answer.

Last edited by R2j; 01-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

As Tim eluded to above in the last quote,it is due to the weight and performance hindering characteristis of having it up high(the weight) as in the case of a "roll bar". We did our best to make the rules reflect performance hindering rewards and not dictate style or design.....sometimes you have to put a stipultion in to meet the former requirments and sometimes that will or can affect design.

I hope that helps explain the reasoning behind some of the rules and the way they are written.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
As Tim eluded to above in the last quote,it is due to the weight and performance hindering characteristis of having it up high(the weight) as in the case of a "roll bar". We did our best to make the rules reflect performance hindering rewards and not dictate style or design.....sometimes you have to put a stipultion in to meet the former requirments and sometimes that will or can affect design.

I hope that helps explain the reasoning behind some of the rules and the way they are written.
Thanks you for the clarification. I still don't agree with it, but you can't please everyone. Adding a few ounces for -4 points or sticking with your vision for -3, I'll take the -3.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Thanks you for the clarification. I still don't agree with it, but you can't please everyone. Adding a few ounces for -4 points or sticking with your vision for -3, I'll take the -3.
I guess it makes sense that you should get an extra point for the roll bar up high. No way I'll add one for one measly point. It's still a truggy bed and not a tube bed. Part of the reason I bought this Truggy from R2j was the simple clean look with all the weight being low and nothing to get hung up. It must have been a nightmare coming up with all the rules and trying to please the majority. Maybe add the -3 for truggy without roll bar since it's not a tube bed?
wally101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

We had so many conversations and discusions around this and many other design aspects.....you are 100% correct, not only can you not please everyone but if you tried to cover every possible scenerio the rules and descriptions would be 100 pages long. Also, the more you try to cover, the more questions and issues arise from those decisions. So, KISS(keep it simple stupid) was used to keep it fun and sane for everyone

Truggy question? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JK Truggy Nate08 1.9 Scale Rigs 43 05-17-2014 04:42 AM
my e truggy vito Non Crawler RC's 9 01-06-2011 06:56 PM
1/8 buggy/truggy newb question Bart bender Non Crawler RC's 10 02-23-2010 10:00 AM
conversion question? mp7.5 to truggy wojin Non Crawler RC's 4 01-22-2009 03:00 PM