Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #41
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

[QUOTE=sgtbham;4622306]Hate to ask guys BUT is there any shot of some points in between a hard body and a custom hard body? I.E. If you take the time to make your truck a crew cab or something should you get points for that? Or would that just open up a can of worms in determining what's been modified enough to get some points....[/QUOTE

We touched on that a bit while discussing the custom body points, but still arrived at what it is. We decided that it would be too complicated to determine how to point body mods, therefor only rewarding extra points for for those who go beyond body mods and scratch build a body from the ground up.

Dang!....Tim beat me to it!

Last edited by R2j; 01-10-2014 at 09:01 AM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
It would still be considered a drop bed. That's why I left out the tailgate in my description of a drop bed.
Making sure I read it right, thanks
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
it sounds like you are just looking for extra free points. You can't get fender well points and drop bed points from the same piece of plastic. A storage area like that doesn't really waste space it hides electronics, gives you a place for scale items, etc.
isn't that the point of scale comps, to get as many points as possible from your build? its part of the competition.

its not "the same piece of plastic", i would build the bed box then the upper rails to build a gap between it and the bed sides.

i'm not looking for "free points", i'm going out of my way to build for those points. if i cant get the points then why build it, when i can just do the bare minimum with some down bars and leave the entire bed wide open. see my point?
spacecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
Hate to ask guys BUT is there any shot of some points in between a hard body and a custom hard body? I.E. If you take the time to make your truck a crew cab or something should you get points for that? Or would that just open up a can of worms in determining what's been modified enough to get some points....
I'm with the sarge here. I know he has alot of time making a 2 Dr Ute into a 4 Dr and I'd consider it a custom body because you can't buy anything even close to it. I'm also doing a hardbody that I've completely changed the look of and I'm wondering the same thing. Especially when someone puts serious time into said body.
THEmicroRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

I also have a question for a fellow club member concerning weight. We all use weights in wheels or on knuckles, but would using weights like on a pulling rig installed on the axles be legal? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
isn't that the point of scale comps, to get as many points as possible from your build? its part of the competition.

its not "the same piece of plastic", i would build the bed box then the upper rails to build a gap between it and the bed sides.

i'm not looking for "free points", i'm going out of my way to build for those points. if i cant get the points then why build it, when i can just do the bare minimum with some down bars and leave the entire bed wide open. see my point?
Build it like you want. when I built my Class 2 D90, I built it like I envisioned it. Full width body, full interior with 4 seats, lots of tube work, etc. It's not the best performing rig around, but it holds it's own. It's really fun to drive. Do that.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=R2j;4622505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
Hate to ask guys BUT is there any shot of some points in between a hard body and a custom hard body? I.E. If you take the time to make your truck a crew cab or something should you get points for that? Or would that just open up a can of worms in determining what's been modified enough to get some points....[/QUOTE

We touched on that a bit while discussing the custom body points, but still arrived at what it is. We decided that it would be too complicated to determine how to point body mods, therefor only rewarding extra points for for those who go beyond body mods and scratch build a body from the ground up.

Dang!....Tim beat me to it!
Thanks for the answers, you and Tim hooked me right up! That makes perfect sense guys, as soon as you give points for that everyone who puts dingo flares on their body will want them - I hadnt really thought the dark side of that of that through when I asked. Keep doing what youre doing guys, it is appreciated
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I do have an idea/suggestion. Why not have a sliding points scale system for body's? Say 4 categories. 1; off the shelf, 2; slightly modded I.e. adding fender flares or any minor modifications, 3; heavily modified I.e. making a 2dr into a 4dr or making a Suv into a pickup or vice versa, 4; scratch built. I'd just like to see some of the individual craftsmanship and talent recognized as much as possible. Thanks guys.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmicroRR View Post
I do have an idea/suggestion. Why not have a sliding points scale system for body's? Say 4 categories. 1; off the shelf, 2; slightly modded I.e. adding fender flares or any minor modifications, 3; heavily modified I.e. making a 2dr into a 4dr or making a Suv into a pickup or vice versa, 4; scratch built. I'd just like to see some of the individual craftsmanship and talent recognized as much as possible. Thanks guys.
Totally get what you're saying so bear with me.

2. Slightly modded:

So say you open the wheelwells on a lexan body with a pair of scissors? Bolt on some Dingo flares. Points or no?

How about cutting the bed off of a pickup and making it a truggy? Points?

My point is, where does the mod start and end?

3. Heavily modified:

Chopping the top off and making it into a convertible and pinching the front, therefore making it lighter and giving it more tire clearance. I would consider this a heavily modified body. This would give the rig better performance and at the same time reward them with scale points.

Do you understand how subjective these modification become? Who's to say what a slight mod is or a heavily modified body is? Better to just leave it be and make it as simple (and non subjective) as possible.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or an ass. We've tried countless times to figure out a way to reward body mods but I'm pretty sure it's impossible.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #50
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

[QUOTE=sgtbham;4623224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post

Thanks for the answers, you and Tim hooked me right up! That makes perfect sense guys, as soon as you give points for that everyone who puts dingo flares on their body will want them - I hadnt really thought the dark side of that of that through when I asked. Keep doing what youre doing guys, it is appreciated
Exactly! We didn't want to run into those types of issues.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Oh well. Guess putting time and passion into something doesn't count for much these days. Sadly its become the American way. It is what it is. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh well. Guess putting time and passion into something doesn't count for much these days. Sadly its become the American way. It is what it is. Thanks.
And I wasn't trying to be an ass over this, just think more could be done to reward the detail oriented people. As this was mainly concerning hardbodies.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
But it does. You see how people react to badass custom rigs. That's the reward. I mean are 2 or 3 scale points really that important in the overall scheme of a 50 point rig?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
But it does. You see how people react to badass custom rigs. That's the reward. I mean are 2 or 3 scale points really that important in the overall scheme of a 50 point rig?
I see your point. But when competing, those 2, 3 or even 8 points can be a huge difference between someone winning, which I'm not all about, or getting say, 7th place.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
I see your point. But when competing, those 2, 3 or even 8 points can be a huge difference between someone winning, which I'm not all about, or getting say, 7th place.
It is really isn't that hard to point out a rig, just pay attention to the details. And I'm not meaning a "Barbie dream truck" either.

I know what your getting at, I spent hours doing the body work on my old JK-8, but it was just what I wanted to build. Remember, we're in this to have fun and play with toy trucks!

Name:  RR JK 34.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Here Here Shon,

It took me awile to figure that out. I was getting all bent about rules and debating them..... then I realized : what is more important, building what I like and let the points fall where they do.

Or

Debating the merits and meaning of the rule set we all follow so I can get more points.

I would be lying to myself and you guys if I said points were not important to me, but debating the rules doesn't matter any more. If I need the points I will make consetions in my build to get there and follow the rules as they are layed out with out dissecting them. Then build the "campfire scaler" I dream of without regard to the rules
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Would these count as inner fender wells?
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #58
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepscx10 View Post
Would these count as inner fender wells?

You'll need to add a back to them and possibly a top, depending on your body. Think of it as what you would see on a 1:1 truck or car.

This is a good example.
Name:  Inner fender.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  55.2 KB

This would work too if your body closes the top.
Name:  DSC02271_zpsdf59c6a7.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Heres a pic with the body on.
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #60
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepscx10 View Post
Heres a pic with the body on.

I would have to say no, the point is to hide all the stuff you can see in there. Like electronic and the interior. Looks more like a body lift lip to me. Just make it bigger so to meet the interior and add a piece to the front and your good.

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM