Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #201
What could go wrong?

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Not with those tires. Other than that nothing stands out that would make it illegal. Make sure with the new tires that you have half tire coverage.

How not with the tires? They're within spec height-wise (4.19), and fit 6/8 into the wheelwells at least.

better pic of what I mean (from a little earlier in the build, but still):

Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
How not with the tires? They're within spec height-wise (4.19), and fit 6/8 into the wheelwells at least.

better pic of what I mean (from a little earlier in the build, but still):

Rock Beasts are 4.45" tall:

1.9 Rock Beast Scale Tire Specs:
Part# - PB9003NK
1.9" Rim
1.7" SW
4.45" OD
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #203
What could go wrong?

Apparently I'm just an idiot

No idea where I got 4.19 from, thanks.

Most likely just going to be able to go to G6-style events this year (likelyhood of making it to a SORCCA one is small sadly), so should be fine as is for what I need it for. Will make sure to do a tire-swap if and when the time comes
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Cool
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #205
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
"No Comp style knuckle weights" in any class.
And Dlux brass knuckles are not knuckle weights they are knuckles so very legal.
So if I make knuckle weights with CF pieces attaching them to the C's. They are now just knuckles. Seems like a play on words more than logic.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

How do you figure they are just knuckles? You've attached weight to your knuckle (hence the wording in the rules), nor remade the knuckles out of CF.
Although if you can remake the knuckle out of CF I am sure a lot of guys would buy them.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #207
RCC Addict

I did not state making knuckles out of CF. The weights housing the bearings are attached to the C's by CF plates. Lets say knuckle weights for sake of what it is. Non rotating mass on, in, around the Knuckle. If these are allowed. All should be allowed. Which I would prefer.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

That's my fault - My head read knuckle not Cs..... But at the end of the day, call it a play on words if you want - The intent will always be to keep things scale. So weather you and I like or agree with the rule, or can come up with a work around.... Just make it look like brakes instead of big shinny brass and everyone is happy.
Or that's the idea.... I think.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Yea seeing that knuckle weights do not make the cut while weight knuckles do is messed up. If they look like something scale. That is different. Mostly I can't see making one vendors product legal while putting another out for words. Make them all legal. Our drive trains will thank us and the allowed enhancement of capability will only make it more fun to watch them do work.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #210
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

I'm trying to get away from all that weight, working on a new light weight rig right now.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #211
RCC Addict

Class 3 Full Metal tuber with kms winch metal front axle. 6.5lb. I just sold it and working on another tuber with 4ws that should be under 5.5lbs. Both using solid steel rod.

Last edited by holycaveman; 01-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
Yea seeing that knuckle weights do not make the cut while weight knuckles do is messed up. If they look like something scale. That is different. Mostly I can't see making one vendors product legal while putting another out for words. Make them all legal. Our drive trains will thank us and the allowed enhancement of capability will only make it more fun to watch them do work.
See I disagree completely..... Dlux knuckles aren't weighted knuckles, if so - ban the brass but keep his ally ones legal?
The intent of the ruling was to keep things as scale looking as possible - a lot of guys don't like to see the big brass ugly. So to keep things fair vs trying to define what is or isn't scale, make comp styles illegal.

Plus you have to think, the guys making the rules are trying to keep this as simple and short as possible. Some times that means we have to explain things over and over till we get our wording and/or explanations correct. Other times the intent just has to be stated because rules are rules and no one will ever make a set of rules to keep everyone happy.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #213
RCC Addict

just discussing here but even if you buy the plastic version there are brass slugs that slide into them. brass is brass. Whether a weighted knuckle or a weight around a knuckle or inserted into a knuckle.

You can even get half in half so the weight is lower. LOL
Old 01-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #214
RCC Addict

Now I have a new buid. And I want it to look scale and work awesome! So my options are a scale knucke with no weights, or a heavy comp knuckle that doesn't look scale? Tough call. I can paint the dlux knuckle black. So honestly I will probably splurge for the heavy comp knuckle. And just paint it.

I hope that next year the comp knuckle is not outlawed after I spent 95$ on a set!

I don't run any weight at the moment. But i would always like the option. So if I buy the delux delrin version I can always add weight if I want to. Where I can not with a scale knuckle.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #215
I wanna be Dave

I think your just trying to make a dead point.... Change the words or names of things doesn't change the rule..... Comp style knuckle weights are illegal. And as soon as anyone that questions the words "comp style" and I explain RCBro weight holders or VP Brass chunk over the knuckle - "Ahhh that makes sense" is the reply I get most.
Can't make everyone happy, although the committee tries.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #216
RCC Addict

My point is knuckle weight is knuckle weight. Dlux knuckles were designed for comp use not scale. They even have holes in them to add slugs. How is this in any way shape or form scale. Needs to be all or none. I vote all.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Could have used the blue monkey ones if the rule was not so flakey.
Would have only spent half and they are already black. Look more like brake drums than brass with large holes in it for adjusting weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Now I have a new buid. And I want it to look scale and work awesome! So my options are a scale knucke with no weights, or a heavy comp knuckle that doesn't look scale? Tough call. I can paint the dlux knuckle black. So honestly I will probably splurge for the heavy comp knuckle. And just paint it.

I hope that next year the comp knuckle is not outlawed after I spent 95$ on a set!

I don't run any weight at the moment. But i would always like the option. So if I buy the delux delrin version I can always add weight if I want to. Where I can not with a scale knuckle.

Last edited by josh6575; 01-30-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #218
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I think your just trying to make a dead point.... Change the words or names of things doesn't change the rule..... Comp style knuckle weights are illegal. And as soon as anyone that questions the words "comp style" and I explain RCBro weight holders or VP Brass chunk over the knuckle - "Ahhh that makes sense" is the reply I get most.
Can't make everyone happy, although the committee tries.
Yea I know. I realize there is never a perfect answer.

So why you guys try and do a good job with the rules (and I know it's a pita) certain rules get costly for the builder. In my opinion sometimes these things should be left alone.

Again no big deal just a discussion.

I plan on the dlux knuckles. Because I have the option of running weighted or not. No other set up allows this option now.

But i will paint them black. Although brass is bling!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
Could have used the blue monkey ones if the rule was not so flakey.
Would have only spent half and they are already black.

I have a set of black blue monkey weights. Can't use them. So with these new dlux ones I will have almost 200$ in knuckle weights!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #220
RCC Addict

I like to make my own. They would be illegal like all others. Not knocking DLUX. I love his products and own many of them. To say no comp style except for this one certain one is not well.

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM