Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #721
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
• Flatbeds that run the full length of the rail chassis are allowed. The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed.
The fenders would fall into that also. So as long as your there all the way around you will be good.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #722
What could go wrong?

ok, that makes sense. Just need to widen it about 2mm to be legal then, no big deal
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #723
Quarry Creeper

A C2 flatbed question.

Can you dovetail a flatbed?

I seem to remember reading somewhere in one of these threads that a flatbed that is narrower than the cab is counted as a dovetail.

If that is so do the other dovetail rules apply? That it must be atleast 1/2 the width of the widest part of the cab? Can it be that width for the entire lenght?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #724
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
A C2 flatbed question.

Can you dovetail a flatbed?

I seem to remember reading somewhere in one of these threads that a flatbed that is narrower than the cab is counted as a dovetail.

If that is so do the other dovetail rules apply? That it must be atleast 1/2 the width of the widest part of the cab? Can it be that width for the entire lenght?
It's right here in the rules.

Class-2 “Trail” Details:
• Body/cage work must be at least 4.5" tall (including boat sides) and the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors.
• A front bumper is required and must be mounted to the vehicle's rail chassis and must be wider than the outside of the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• You must run a full rail chassis, and the chassis (including bumpers) must be 3" longer than the wheelbase (this includes a chassis with a truggy rear frame).
•Truggies are allowed, but you must replace the ladder frame behind the cab with tube, and the truggy rails must extend past the rear axle pumpkin to be legal. The bed must have a roll bar hoop and integrated shock mounts. It also must be a structural part of the rear of the vehicle. (If your bed does not meet ALL of the preceding criteria, it does not count as a truggy bed).
• Flatbeds that run the full length of the rail chassis are allowed. The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed.
• 2 of the 3 following modifications are allowed:
•Dovetailing the rear *a truggy/tube bed that is narrower than the cab counts as a dovetail* (1/2 the width of the widest part of the cab).
•Boat sides (no more than 1.25" measured vertically from the bottom of the skid).
•Pinching the front (2/3 the width of the widest part of the cab).
• 120mm / 4.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size including spare.
• Gates will be a minimum of 12" wide (so mind your width).

Since there is no mention of flatbeds (only truggies and tube beds) then the answer is no, you must have a cab width flatbed.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #725
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Then a tube bed it shall be.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #726

A question from the italian community, I know it seems silly but just to make things more clear

In class 1 bumpers are measured from the outsides and must be the width of your windshield to be legal, but how do you define a windshield?

I mean only the transparent part, or with the seal around it, or with all the body frame around the windshield?

Maybe it's just a problem of the italian translation, but I think that as a windshield you mean the "glass" transparent part right?
SimoCanto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #727
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoCanto86 View Post
A question from the italian community, I know it seems silly but just to make things more clear

In class 1 bumpers are measured from the outsides and must be the width of your windshield to be legal, but how do you define a windshield?

I mean only the transparent part, or with the seal around it, or with all the body frame around the windshield?

Maybe it's just a problem of the italian translation, but I think that as a windshield you mean the "glass" transparent part right?
Quote:
wind·shield - a window at the front of the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle.
It is the glass or clear area.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #728
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoCanto86 View Post
Thank you!
So are people taking a caliper and measuring the windshield area to bumper at your tech tables?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #729

Hi,

I have another question concerning the chassis of my last new rig...

I based it on a Losi Comp Crawler using its axles, skid and transmission but as you know the Losi Skid is really tiny and for that reason I left also some parts of the lateral aluminum chassis plate for fixing the real rails of the chassis.

Now… is that considered as a “TVP chassis extension” and so NOT legal?

In truth the small parts of the lateral vertical plates are really used for fitting the rails into the skid… otherwise is impossible to do it due to the small shape of the Losi plastic skid.

At the end, from my point of view the Losi plastic skid + lateral aluminum parts can be considered equal to a standard Axial Skid… is it correct or wrong?

These is a picture of my chassis:

Please, give me a feedback in order to understand if my rig can be legal in Class 3 or not…

Thank you in advance!

Daghen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #730
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daghen View Post
Hi,

I have another question concerning the chassis of my last new rig...

I based it on a Losi Comp Crawler using its axles, skid and transmission but as you know the Losi Skid is really tiny and for that reason I left also some parts of the lateral aluminum chassis plate for fixing the real rails of the chassis.

Now… is that considered as a “TVP chassis extension” and so NOT legal?

In truth the small parts of the lateral vertical plates are really used for fitting the rails into the skid… otherwise is impossible to do it due to the small shape of the Losi plastic skid.

At the end, from my point of view the Losi plastic skid + lateral aluminum parts can be considered equal to a standard Axial Skid… is it correct or wrong?

These is a picture of my chassis:

Please, give me a feedback in order to understand if my rig can be legal in Class 3 or not…

Thank you in advance!

Looks fine to me.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
So are people taking a caliper and measuring the windshield area to bumper at your tech tables?
Yes unfortunately...
We have almost 4 pages of the S.o.r.r.c.a. rules thread on the italian forum discussing about this little detail... we have some strange people here!

Dubbi, domande e spiegazioni REGOLAMENTO S.O.R.R.C.A. 2015 - Pagina 47 - Scalers & Crawlers

The problem was due to the fact that someone used to consider as a windshield all the windshield frame, which as you confirmed is not correct.

Last edited by SimoCanto86; 06-25-2015 at 10:36 AM.
SimoCanto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #732
RCC Addict

Looking for some clarification on my rig, not trying to be a pain or bend the rules in anyway, just wanting to score my rig appropriately.

I am not 100% sure to classify this as a "truggy" or "tuber" there are sections of Channel frame to mount the skid but the rest in 3/16 rod. The cab is lexan and the rear ( not pictured ) gets lexan panels bolted as "bedsides"

Between the roll bar, cage, truggy and shock mount points I believe I get more points if I class it as a truggy. Maybe I am thinking too much about it. But I am looking for opinions. Thank you. I am figuring -8 for tuber or (-4 truggy -3 cage -2 shock mounts) = -9

On with the pictures.

klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #733
Rock Crawler

^^^Valid question. Seems like enough tube work to be a tuber to me so -8. Not enough chassis rail to be considered otherwise.

Just an fyi, you would only get -1 for shock mounts if it was a truggy, no -1 for the shock mounts in back with a truggy. So either way you look at this it comes out -8.

Nice rig
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #734
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam63 View Post
^^^Valid question. Seems like enough tube work to be a tuber to me so -8. Not enough chassis rail to be considered otherwise.

Just an fyi, you would only get -1 for shock mounts if it was a truggy, no -1 for the shock mounts in back with a truggy. So either way you look at this it comes out -8.

Nice rig
Thanks, that makes since, btw I didn't design the chassis with that small amount of rail, it began life as a full scx10 chassis but has slowly been trimmed down to what you see lol
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #735
I wanna be Dave

would this tuber be considered class 2 or class 3? I can add a front bumper for class 2 if needed but wasnt sure if it would qualify for class 2 since it doesnt have a rail chassis but tube..
Attached Images

allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #736
Gettin’ back on the horse

No tubers in class 2.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #737
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
No tubers in class 2.

Unless you have a frame that either runs the legnth of the entire chassis...... or a frame that runs from rear os skid to the front bumper and details the rear to be truggy with tube having a single hoop to wrap the cab I belive?
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #738
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Unless you have a frame that either runs the legnth of the entire chassis...... or a frame that runs from rear os skid to the front bumper and details the rear to be truggy with tube having a single hoop to wrap the cab I belive?
But then it's not a tuber, is it?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #739
Quarry Creeper

Double trouble posting.

DNF question:
How are bonus gates calculated with a DNF? In the rules it is said that progress and scalepoints are subtracted from the DNF. Are bonus gates calculated like progress points?

How is the pointout judged? Are the progress and bonus gate points subtracted while on course? Or is it that once you have gathered 80 points worth of penalty then you get DNF and after that you start subtracting progress and possible bonus gate points?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #740
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Double trouble posting.

DNF question:
How are bonus gates calculated with a DNF? In the rules it is said that progress and scalepoints are subtracted from the DNF. Are bonus gates calculated like progress points?
Bonus gates are not counted if you DNF a course. We as a committee voted on this and it will be explained better in the 2016 revisions.

Quote:
How is the pointout judged? Are the progress and bonus gate points subtracted while on course? Or is it that once you have gathered 80 points worth of penalty then you get DNF and after that you start subtracting progress and possible bonus gate points?
You simply add up the on course penalties. Once they hit 80 points, their run is over. All progresses and bonuses (if they finish) are subtracted after their run is over.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM