Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #901
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Why would the toyzuki frame get integrated shock hoop points ? Rule clearly states metal AND welded or brazed...... you guys have done a great job defining it already. The word AND solves the issue. The one piece frames with shock up built into the design are not welded or brazed. So, the "And" is not followed thus no points.

Unless, one was to cut them off and weld thwm back on lol
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #902
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Unless, one was to cut them off and weld thwm back on lol
That very situation was brought up in another thread.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post
We cool with this?
call me crazy but i see an abstracted comp chassis with bumper dropouts.

if this chassis is legal for c1 and c2 framerails, i assume i can notch an scx framerail at the hoop area and incorporate a similar shock hoop design to get the same shock clearance?

so basically run metal hoops welded to the scx framerails, and cut the rail section out between the hoop area.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #904
I wanna be Dave

Yes you can hoppty, difusor has done it in the past for clearance reasons. Chop, cut and rebuild
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #905
RCC Addict

I don't see any issue with a C-notch. It's been done in the past without complaints.

Sent from the can using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Yes you can hoppty, difusor has done it in the past for clearance reasons. Chop, cut and rebuild
wish i had asked that question years ago...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #907
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Don't see why not, built up it'll look like just about everything else.
ugh. i'm not really cool with it. doesnt look scale. i love the engineering, but this is turning the undercarriage of these trucks into comp trucks. which may or may not even be necessary what with all the weight we put on these things.

really just personal preference. not saying i wouldnt use something like to win.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #908
Rock Crawler

I have a question about Class 2 tires.

I know cut and shut is illegal, but trimming is allowed.

What are your thoughts on a hybrid tire for C2?

Example: Can I take the lugs that were trimmed off one tire and glue them to another? As long as all parts & pieces are from a legal scale tire?

Such as glue Bogger lugs to a Ripsaw? Or, any other variation?
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #909
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
ugh. i'm not really cool with it. doesnt look scale. i love the engineering, but this is turning the undercarriage of these trucks into comp trucks. which may or may not even be necessary what with all the weight we put on these things.

really just personal preference. not saying i wouldnt use something like to win.
I have several issues with their design.

1. It's definitely not scale.
2. It's basically a tvp cut out to leave the holes they used and to imitate rails.
3. I tried a ecsc to have a setup to bolt shocks to my frame. Integrated means just that. It doesn't mean the rails themselves.

That's just my .02

But I can also see alot of disadvantages to this design to. Good luck with a drop bed, or a bed at all and a interrior is gonna be problematic too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
baconbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #910
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
I have a question about Class 2 tires.

I know cut and shut is illegal, but trimming is allowed.

What are your thoughts on a hybrid tire for C2?

Example: Can I take the lugs that were trimmed off one tire and glue them to another? As long as all parts & pieces are from a legal scale tire?

Such as glue Bogger lugs to a Ripsaw? Or, any other variation?
No, you cannot do that. No changing the carcass or tread. You can do that all you want in Class 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits View Post

2. It's basically a tvp cut out to leave the holes they used and to imitate rails.
3. I tried a ecsc to have a setup to bolt shocks to my frame. Integrated means just that. It doesn't mean the rails themselves.

That's just my .02

But I can also see alot of disadvantages to this design to. Good luck with a drop bed, or a bed at all and a interrior is gonna be problematic too.

There's always some give and take. Let's just have fun and not worry about everything being "perfect". Never going to happen.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #911
Rock Stacker

Quote:

That's just my .02

Sorry to hop on...but these rails were advertised as a multipurpose platform...

1. seems to be an excellent U4 class rail
2. Low/ slammed scx based drift truck
3. a low slung scx comp chassis....

its still full length ladder frame (granted a -2 scale shock hoop penalty) but the shocks still mount perpendicular to the axles. My point being i dont see how it can resemble a twin plate chassis with "bumper mounts attached at the end"

The chassis makes a droop shock driver drool

BUT! im 100% open to input! First design...and i didnt want to be labeled as a chassis copy cat...i think i achieved that goal
MichianaRCcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #912
Rock Stacker

MichianaRCcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #913
Rock Stacker

Quote:

That's just my .02

No drop bed is fine with me but we shall see how that works with my s10 body. As for my class 2 that is currently already running these rails it is a beast. 1 3/8" skid height running droop. It's crazy how well it handles. As for interior it actually gives you MORE room for interior as the skid is dropped half inch. But I can see where you'd have concern. My question to you is, if I go to attend kog next year are you gonna play nice by sorrca rules or will I be deemed illegal?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #914
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxCheeziexXx View Post
No drop bed is fine with me but we shall see how that works with my s10 body. As for my class 2 that is currently already running these rails it is a beast. 1 3/8" skid height running droop. It's crazy how well it handles. As for interior it actually gives you MORE room for interior as the skid is dropped half inch. But I can see where you'd have concern. My question to you is, if I go to attend kog next year are you gonna play nice by sorrca rules or will I be deemed illegal?

Are you suggesting that we play favorites??!!

If the committee says it's good to go. Well than its good to go.

And we'd love to see you at KOG.

baconbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #915
Rock Stacker

No just merely asking you a question that's all.

xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #916
Rock Stacker

Hi

just a little question,how many point for this type of interior/pilots lexan print?
Someone says only 2 points for the 2d interiors,others say 4 point for 2d interiors and head and arms of the pilots.

I know probably you have already answered this question....but I can't find it in the old posts.

TIA
The_NightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #917
RCC Addict

I'd give -4 for it. That's what I claimed for mine that was similar.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #918
Rock Stacker

Thank you
The_NightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #919

I have several questions from italian drivers:

- knuckle weights and fake brake discs/drums: i know adding any weight to the knuckles is not allowed, and a fake scale brake must have a rotating part attached to the wheel like the real ones, so what about knuckle weights looking like fake brakes, like the ones made for the Ascender Brake/Rotor brass weights or hand made solutions like this: Dubbi, domande e spiegazioni REGOLAMENTO S.O.R.R.C.A. 2015 - Pagina 111 - Scalers & Crawlers (I know marzo already asked about them).
Are they illegal since it's like adding knuckle weights or are they considered legal since they look like fake scale brakes? scale points for them too?

- Scale points: can the molded honcho bed fuel tank be considered a scale realistic exterior item?
Opening doors and hood cnan be counted separately (-1 point for opening doors and -1 for opening hood)?
How can a sound/smoke unit can be considered for scale points?

- Sliders: to be ok for scale points they must be made of plastic or metal tube or they can also have a square/flat surface? they must be wider than the body or is it ok to only have an underneath flat panel (not a boatside)
connecting the frame to the inner/outer side of the body?

- Spare tire: to get -3 points it must be a full size wheel that can be used on the truck right? what about a tire withouth the rim, or a tire cut in half (only one side of the rim and sidewall, half tread), a plastic fake tire, etc.?
I guess they can't get the -3 points correct? so only -1 for exterior item (non functional)?
SimoCanto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #920
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoCanto86 View Post
I have several questions from italian drivers:

- knuckle weights and fake brake discs/drums: i know adding any weight to the knuckles is not allowed, and a fake scale brake must have a rotating part attached to the wheel like the real ones, so what about knuckle weights looking like fake brakes, like the ones made for the Ascender Brake/Rotor brass weights or hand made solutions like this: Dubbi, domande e spiegazioni REGOLAMENTO S.O.R.R.C.A. 2015 - Pagina 111 - Scalers & Crawlers (I know marzo already asked about them).
Are they illegal since it's like adding knuckle weights or are they considered legal since they look like fake scale brakes? scale points for them too?

As for the Vaterra disc brake weight, the are fine. The full on "comp style" weights are what is not allowed, however if there is a reasonable effort put toward detailing something that is to look like a disc or drum without looking like a huge chunk of metal hanging there, it may pass. The key is the balance of how scale it looks and if it look like it would belong there.

- Scale points: can the molded honcho bed fuel tank be considered a scale realistic exterior item?

I don't know if it has been counted like that before, but I think it could be possible with a bit of detailing. Like adding some dimension to it by closing the bottom off to more resemble a fuel cell. Adding a 3D type of cap or filler tube maybe. Just a few ideas. Again, details make the difference.

Opening doors and hood can be counted separately (-1 point for opening doors and -1 for opening hood)?

Yes, but -1 for doors, not scored as each, -1 for hood. You are only allowed -8 total for functional items anyway and that that's not to0 hard to max points in that area.

How can a sound/smoke unit can be considered for scale points?

I personally have not ran across that question yet. Maybe on of the other committee members would be more up to speed on that. I personally think it could be considered a functional item.

- Sliders: to be ok for scale points they must be made of plastic or metal tube or they can also have a square/flat surface? they must be wider than the body or is it ok to only have an underneath flat panel (not a boatside)
connecting the frame to the inner/outer side of the body?

The sliders that I used to produce match the description of the flat metal from chassis to body, non boat side, with a edge turned up to protect the body and with or without tube on the turned up body side. They always pass for metal sliders. But that was the intention. They must be made with the intention of being body armor and not just a piece of metal flat metal hanging off the chassis.

- Spare tire: to get -3 points it must be a full size wheel that can be used on the truck right? what about a tire withouth the rim, or a tire cut in half (only one side of the rim and sidewall, half tread), a plastic fake tire, etc.?
I guess they can't get the -3 points correct? so only -1 for exterior item (non functional)?
Yes, must be within +/- .25 inch of tires being driven and able to be mounted like a spare. -1 would be iffy on partial tires or modeled tires and wheels. It's really not to hard to find -1 some where else with other pieces of non-functional items.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM