Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2016 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2016 Scale Rules

But if I made that out of metal, is it a weight?
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #302
I wanna be Dave

Not according to the wording. That is attached to the lockout, not a knunkle weight by definition. Its a lockout weight
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #303
I wanna be Dave

This seems like knuckle discrimination
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #304
I joined the Band!

"No comp style knuckle weights of any kind"

Comp style is bolted on, I'm sure most would agree with this. If it spins however, Thats a different story....

Anyways. I'm having trouble finding the info, Does anyone know where to find the limit to frame rail length?
As far as how far it needs to extend over the axles.. ??
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #305
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
"No comp style knuckle weights of any kind"

Comp style is bolted on, I'm sure most would agree with this. If it spins however, Thats a different story....

Anyways. I'm having trouble finding the info, Does anyone know where to find the limit to frame rail length?

But who defined that? Or is it an assumption. The rules don't clarify nor define.

My scale play tricks can have knuckle weights that look like brakes and I'll just have to build a carbon fiber comp rig with taped on weight everywhere I guess, and brass knuckles

That was sarcasm btw.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #306
I joined the Band!

"of any kind" pretty much says it all.. NO KNUCKLE WEIGHTS period..

Make them spin like actual brakes and its a different story.. I fail to see how this could be so confusing..

Old 12-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #307

sorrca.com for the rules. rails need to be 3" longer than wb.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #308
I joined the Band!

Yeah I know the site, I just couldnt find that one rule. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
"of any kind" pretty much says it all.. NO KNUCKLE WEIGHTS period..

Make them spin like actual brakes and its a different story.. I fail to see how this could be so confusing..

But it doesn't say "no knuckle weights" it probably should. But it doesn't...
Old 12-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Agree why put "comp style" if non knuckle weights are allowed. You could even word it to say no weights that bolt onto the knuckle allowed.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #311
I joined the Band!

If you take a weight, and bolt it onto a knuckle no matter what it looks like, That's a "knuckle weight".. "of any kind" covers all these bases you guys keep trying to get around. I could understand all this rule breaking if there wasn't already a product that works around the issue.. Beef Patties.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you take a weight, and bolt it onto a knuckle no matter what it looks like, That's a "knuckle weight".. "of any kind" covers all these bases you guys keep trying to get around. I could understand all this rule breaking if there wasn't already a product that works around the issue.. Beef Patties.
First I'm not trying to get around anything.

I don't need to use them. I do want the rule updated though. It has unnecessary wording that can make a grey area open to interpretation, and lacks other detail that allows for much more offensive weight than a bolt on round weight
Old 12-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #313
RCC Addict

The only offensive part of the whole knuckle debacle is that legality hinges on where the bolts are placed. A big chunk of non rotational mass is just that. Knuckle weight. Weight knuckle. Please just make them all legal and demand that they are painted to look like rotors or drums as it used to be. A lot of people that go to scale comps really enjoy the tuning aspect of the hobby. Climbing a long hill and tumbling down it without having a bunch of ornaments flying off is a lot of fun. I run model trucks because it's fun being able to do things that are not possible or sane in the real thing. Shit who wants to drive their scale commuter back and fourth to scale work. The scale community would benefit more from a "Spirit of fun" rule than a "Spirit of Scale" rule open to shutting people out. If you want to drive a doll house. Do it. If you want run a performance beast. Do it. The rules do a pretty good job of leveling the field with the points system. Some people are artist and create some very detailed and beautiful rigs. Others are not and are more into the tuning and mechanics. We need to welcome everyone to keep the hobby growing. I hope when I get old and decrepit that I can sit in a lawn chair and watch another generation run scale trucks. It would be a lot for fun than sitting around telling stories about how we used to drive these RC trucks but it got to be too many rules and drama.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #314
RCC Addict

This whole knuckle weight issue is getting old. Maybe the rules committee can consider a change for 2017.

I think this setup is a work of art, but not allowed...

While this one is allowed...

It's pretty clear which one looks absolutely scale and one that isn't even close (no offence Erik)
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Agree why put "comp style" if non knuckle weights are allowed. You could even word it to say no weights that bolt onto the knuckle allowed.
I think the intent was to be a little less general and specifically call out the specific style. Sometimes it's hard to general enough to catch products that haven't be released yet but specific enough that someone can pick up the rules and know what you're talking about. I see the point though, sounds like a quick update for 2018.

Quote:
Beef patties rotate like a actual disk brake, and add rotational mass in the same manner as heavy wheels. There's a big difference between that and a knuckle weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
This whole knuckle weight issue is getting old. Maybe the rules committee can consider a change for 2017.

I think this setup is a work of art, but not allowed...

While this one is allowed...

It's pretty clear which one looks absolutely scale and one that isn't even close (no offence Erik)
If I had to guess it's probably going be more like a 2018 sort of thing. We're pretty close to have the 2017 rules wrapped up.

At the end of the day I still wouldn't expect the one on top to be legal. There are too many functional rotor / caliper combinations out there. That's just my opinion, but that's where I see it going. Regarding the Dlux knuckles (which rule btw), that's a point of contention that will likely get revisited later.

Last edited by Highmark; 12-10-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #316
RCC Addict

Your right Highmark. Non rotation mass at the knuckle does work great. When you guys took away everyone else's weights you should have given yours up too. Way to go dictators. Look at all the other vendors that got crapped on. Allow all or give yours back to the comp scene where they were born.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #317
Quarry Creeper

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk
MudHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
Your right Highmark. Non rotation mass at the knuckle does work great. When you guys took away everyone else's weights you should have given yours up too. Way to go dictators. Look at all the other vendors that got crapped on. Allow all or give yours back to the comp scene where they were born.
Now that's probably a little harsh, and a pretty good example of how not to get your voice heard.

I helped with the MSD rules and was once on this committee. I understand the hard work that goes into doing this.

It's impossible to ask for perfect, but there is surely a right way and a wrong way to prove a point, or point out a possible issue.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #319
RCC Addict

It is hard to find a way to point out a wrong doing without hurting some feelings. No one is going to argue that the heavy knuckles are a distinct advantage and were created specifically for Dlux's comp rig. The rule states no Comp style knuckle weight. You don't get any more comp than those. There were a few vendors that made Wraith knuckle weights, a scale rig, that are not selling as many as they could be.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #320
I wanna be Dave

I mean, you could try not using the word dictator.

you make a decent point, just offering my $.02 to give it a chance to get through. Carry on..

2016 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 MNRCRC Vehicle Rules dna4engr Minnesota 61 04-02-2016 06:16 PM
2016-2017 rules and new ideas discussion Dezertdirt WRCCA Information 174 03-22-2016 12:14 PM
MNRCRC 2016 Rules Discussion Thread dna4engr Minnesota 66 11-09-2015 09:50 PM