Notices

Thread: 2017 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #321
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2017 Scale Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljinks View Post

any more discussion on the mojave / bruiser interior being full interior or just a cover?
Does it meet this criteria?

• A full interior must include these 3D pieces: seat, dash, steering wheel and complete floor. The
interior must be deep enough for a scale figure from the knees up.

Will a 5.5" tall scale figure fit in it if you chop off its lower legs? That would be the only sticking point. Otherwise it has the 4 items that make up a full interior.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #322

i'd call it a transfercase... its got the motor where the engine would be, and the transmission/tcase are also somewhat scale in their location.

a divorced transfercase connected to a fwd motor mount via intermediate shaft is easy to call, but whats the actual criteria for a transfercase? is it not just something that takes an input and splits it to the front and rear axles? and by that, isnt an old axial or pede trans mounted on the skid a transfercase? (i know its not according to sorrca rules, but why not?)

btw i ask questions not to be a dick, but just because i like to b.s. about the rules. i dont mean to be a pest.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #323

these are cut just below the knee

so Your answer is yes since all 4 pieces are there to count as long as i can get knees up figure its a GO for full interior ?

Last edited by Ljinks; 05-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Ljinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #324
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Cage must be affixed to a rigid floor board, fender well, slider, bumper or structural part of the chassis.
What kind of cages are eligible for points?

Does an exo need to be attached to some thing else than the body?

What about the cages on the Dingo and G6 jeep? Do those get points even if they are only attached to the body?

What about an internal cage in a hilux cab that is only attached to the body?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #325
Quarry Creeper

I have a question about flatbeds for class 1. If I have to use fender flares to meet tire coverage (Clod body with SCX axles) does the flatbed need to be as wide as the flares or just the cab?

Also I haven't been able to find it yet but I'm sure it has been answered before. Metal frame for the flatbed and wood floor. Does this get points or not? If so, how many?
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Can't tell from that picture. I'll have to see a complete assembled transmission to make a ruling.
it is the new transmission of traxxas scaler:

https://m.traxxas.com/news/new-product/trx-4

devilman_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #327
I wanna be Dave

I have a question about flat beds. This flat bed is wider than the top of the cab. I built this before I took a good look at the rules. Does it meet the spirt of the flat bed rule. Wasn't trying to bend the rules. Also all of the bed is metal but the deck, which is a piece of cherry wood. Most of the older decks were built from wood decks. Would it get full flat bed points?

Thanks for your help.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #328
5th D Owner/Driver

Why no extra scale points for running replica axles like the Curries? Shouldnt they get something extra vs a plastic axle?
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #329
Quarry Creeper

I think the real curries are steel. So why would one non scale material get points while another wouldn't?

Besides you get the big advantage of weight down low and the scale points are there to counter the disadvantages of scale stuff.

This has been discussed several times during the years.

Last edited by Scrap; 05-10-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Just for the fun of it.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #330
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
I think the real curries are steel. So why would one non scale material get points while another wouldn't?

Besides you get the big advantage of weight down low and the scale points are there to counter the disadvantages of scale stuff.

Because they are modeled after a real 1:1 axle and look the part. There is a better performance advantage to using plastic than any aluminum axle. Plastic will slide over rocks way easier than aluminum will plus it weighs less. Lighter weight rigs will always yield a performance advantage and allow you to add weight where needed. I just think there should be some extra scale points for choosing to run something that has a performance disadvantage in exchange for scale looks.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #331
Quarry Creeper

In what kind of wonky physics world do you live in where a lower COG is a bad thing?

The absolutely best place to add weight to a vehicle is it's lowest point. And usually the axles happen to be the lowest point on a vehicle

Check the previous rule discussion threads. This has been discussed many many many times before.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #332
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
In what kind of wonky physics world do you live in where a lower COG is a bad thing?

The absolutely best place to add weight to a vehicle is it's lowest point. And usually the axles happen to be the lowest point on a vehicle

Check the previous rule discussion threads. This has been discussed many many many times before.
In the comp crawler world where performance is everything. You will find no aluminum axle there in the sporty class. Maybe you should plan a trip and visit sometime.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #333
Quarry Creeper

So sorry. I thought this was the scale rule thread. My bad.

So in a comp crawler a high COG is good?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:43 AM   #334

Quote:
So sorry. I thought this was the scale rule thread. My bad.

So in a comp crawler a high COG is good?
so if your axles weighed 50lbs your center of gravity would be like, REALLY low right? all these stupid comp guys running lightweight rigs with no center of gravity...
Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #335
I wanna be Dave

No help with the flatbed questions???
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #336
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
In the comp crawler world where performance is everything. You will find no aluminum axle there in the sporty class. Maybe you should plan a trip and visit sometime.
Do you know what parts of a comp rig are the most heavy? And why the comp scene is making such light vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
so if your axles weighed 50lbs your center of gravity would be like, REALLY low right? all these stupid comp guys running lightweight rigs with no center of gravity...
Why are you calling comp guys stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
No help with the flatbed questions???
Last time it was discussed the ruling was that to get the points the flatbed needed to be full metal. Or you could get points if it was heavy enough and the person doing the tech inspection deemed it worth points.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #337
5th D Owner/Driver

Sorry guys, I just wanted to know why a scale replica axle didn't receive some scale points for looking real. Apparently I know nothing about performance competing with the best drivers in the world with pure performance based rigs, all us comp crawlers must be doing it wrong...
Old 05-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #338

Quote:
Why are you calling comp guys stupid?
i wasnt... but i see my comment went right over your head. or youre just being a smartass.

how about ya not flame people for asking valid questions?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #339
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i wasnt... but i see my comment went right over your head. or youre just being a smartass.

how about ya not flame people for asking valid questions?
How is the answer I first gave to the question flaming? Or the elaboration I gave after that?
You are the one flaming with your "50 lbs" axles.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #340
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Looks like just a big ass transmission to me.
I'd suggest that a Tcase needs to be removable from the Trans, just like a real one.
If it's contained in the exact same housing as the trans guts, then no, it's not a T case. Not only it doesn't look like a Tcase, but you can't take it off at all with the Traxxas new unit.
At the very least the SCX2 has a Tcase that can be removed... even though it's a rear trans vehicle.. which seems super odd to get Tcase points for a Jeep with a rear trans.

On an totally different note: Is there a Sorrca Class Zero thread or rules or anything?
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote

2017 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 rules and next year's scale nats location. ... distinctive pd Scale Comp Rules 2 12-02-2016 04:00 PM