Notices

Thread: 2017 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #341
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2017 Scale Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post

On an totally different note: Is there a Sorrca Class Zero thread or rules or anything?
Facebook group, rules in the pinned post.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
You are the one flaming with your "50 lbs" axles.
ffs... just be respectful.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #343
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Facebook group, rules in the pinned post.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
...from the Colorado club, yes, but not from SORRCA. Ok. Thanks....
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #344
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
No help with the flatbed questions???
You're good.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #345
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
On an totally different note: Is there a Sorrca Class Zero thread or rules or anything?
Its not an 'official' class so it varies by club an event.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #346
I wanna be Dave

Hey Cody, I am not an official committee member anymore but by the r definition of the rules that doesn't meet the criteria. It isn't as wide as the cab, and it has a taper at the very back end. With that said, I would allow it as there is no real performance advantage to the design. It is very similar to the honcho bed which has been deemed illegal in the past due to the pinch in the rear. I have had conversations with committee members over this since it is a real world design and received different opinions... but the rule states ... Committee will have to give you an official ruling.
Quote:
I have a question about flat beds. This flat bed is wider than the top of the cab. I built this before I took a good look at the rules. Does it meet the spirt of the flat bed rule. Wasn't trying to bend the rules. Also all of the bed is metal but the deck, which is a piece of cherry wood. Most of the older decks were built from wood decks. Would it get full flat bed points?

Thanks for your help.
Ernie
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #347
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input Kev, I did have a thumbs up from one of the members, but your response went to detail as to why it might not pass inspection. Maybe Tim will weigh in on his thoughts.
Good luck at nats this weekend, your bug is a work of art!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #348
I wanna be Dave

It was already discussed back around post #248
Old 05-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #349
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have a question about flat beds. This flat bed is wider than the top of the cab. I built this before I took a good look at the rules. Does it meet the spirt of the flat bed rule. Wasn't trying to bend the rules. Also all of the bed is metal but the deck, which is a piece of cherry wood. Most of the older decks were built from wood decks. Would it get full flat bed points?

Thanks for your help.
Ernie

Nice bed. I bet that if it doesn't make the width requirement you could tack on a rub rail to get the width . Worth asking..
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #350
Quarry Creeper

From the class 2 details:

Quote:
Dovetailing the rear *a truggy/tube bed that is narrower than the cab counts as a dovetail*
I don't see why you couldn't dovetail flatbeds too. So that flatbed should be perfectly legal in C2. Atleast that's how I have always judged it.

Edit: Oh one more thing. At some point it was judged by the rules committee that the flatbed had to be as wide as some part of the cab. You can find it in one of the previous rule discussion threads. Can't remember what year it was.

Last edited by Scrap; 05-12-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: More more more
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #351
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
It was already discussed back around post #248
Thanks, for the help, I won't be concerned any more. And good luck to you also at nats. Your bug is a great build!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #352
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, for the help, I won't be concerned any more. And good luck to you also at nats. Your bug is a great build!
Ernie
NP - thanks sir!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #353
Pebble Pounder

Are scale points maxed at 60 for C1 and 50 for C2, C3 still?
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #354
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongsten View Post
Are scale points maxed at 60 for C1 and 50 for C2, C3 still?
Its up to the event promoter ultimately, for evergreen scale nats it is exactly that.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #355

Hi Guy..

I am sorry, an other question..

about:

3D engine: -4
•Must be in a reasonable location and appear to be powering the drivetrain of the vehicle

about dimension..
the 3d engine must have of a reasonable dimension?
can be "little" smaller? but How much little?

can an engine like 0,150 liter take point like 4 liter ??

tks for answer...
devilman_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #356

I'm sure this has been asked before, but nothing came up on a search so here's my question.
Vaterra Ascender brass rotors/disc brakes, are they sorrca legal or they are to be considered as knuckle weights, as they are attached to knuckles ?
If they are legal, is there some kind of general guideline to follow - weight, size etc, - in case one decides to build something similar ?
So far, as a SORRCA local representative, I have considered as a knuckle weight anything attached to the knuckle no matter the shape or weight, but the matter keeps coming forth and I have had arguments with fellows coming from other areas, so I would really like to hear the sorrca committee's word about it.
Gumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #357
Quarry Creeper

It has been discussed several times. Might even be in this thread too.

It was declared that:

If it's bolted to the knuckle and it has weight it is a knuckle weight and therefore illegal.

So the Vaterra discs are illegal because they are bolted to the knuckle. The VP discs are legal because they are not. However the VP calipers are illegal because they bolt to the knuckle.

All this just because some people did put knuckle weights in their scalers to gain an unscale advantage.

Last edited by Scrap; 05-17-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Damdididoo
Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #358
RCC Addict

Quote:

All this just because some people did put knuckle weights in their scalers to gain an unscale advantage.
Do you know how stupid that sounds? Not the reasoning for banning them. The unscale advantage phrase. Because know because my 71 bronco can rock back and forth on its side and magically jump back on all fours. Yep thats scale right there.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #359
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Do you know how stupid that sounds? Not the reasoning for banning them. The unscale advantage phrase.
If you have a better reason then please enlighten me. Or are you saying knuckle weights are scale and they offer no performance advantage? Are the comp crawler guys putting knuckle weights on to make their crawlers more scale?
Quote:
Because know because my 71 bronco can rock back and forth on its side and magically jump back on all fours. Yep thats scale right there.
Nothing magical about it. Just physics. You can do it with 1:1 vehicles too. Ever watch rock bouncers or real comp crawlers?
But what has that got to do with knuckle weights?

I can't remember whether it was in the old SORRCA rules but our old Finnish rules gave the roll over penalty when ever a vehicle rolled. Whether it landed on its wheels or not. We found it a bit problematic where to draw the line between leaning on something and rolling over. If a vehicle is on it's side on flat ground then there was no problem it had rolled. But our courses were not on flat ground. So basically a vehicle could be leaning on a rock with only two tires on the ground and just drive on. At what point will the change occur from leaning to rolling? What about if you are starting to roll and you save it by using throttle and steering? (Just like 1:1 comp crawlers) At which point has the vehicle rolled and you receive the penalty if at the end it stays on it's wheels? Is it "if any other part than the wheels touch the ground"? Then it would be a roll over penalty even if all four tires were on the ground and you would drive under a rock ledge that your cage scrapes against.

The SORRCA rule is simple. If you can drive out it's not a roll. If you can't then it's a roll.

But if you want to go full ret... I mean scale then you better make an interior and driver mandatory in all classes. I don't think your magical bronco can drive itself without a driver. What about electric motors? Not many 1:1 crawlers with those. How about steering? Don't think there are many crawlers where the steering wheel is not attached to the vehicle.

This is scale RC crawling. The reason is given multiple times in these rule threads. Doesn't anybody read these? Just do a search of the Scale Comp Rules area with "knuckle weights" you'll find plenty of arguing about them. Even previously in this thread.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #360
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you have a better reason then please enlighten me. Or are you saying knuckle weights are scale and they offer no performance advantage? Are the comp crawler guys putting knuckle weights on to make their crawlers more scale?
Nothing magical about it. Just physics. You can do it with 1:1 vehicles too. Ever watch rock bouncers or real comp crawlers?
But what has that got to do with knuckle weights?

I can't remember whether it was in the old SORRCA rules but our old Finnish rules gave the roll over penalty when ever a vehicle rolled. Whether it landed on its wheels or not. We found it a bit problematic where to draw the line between leaning on something and rolling over. If a vehicle is on it's side on flat ground then there was no problem it had rolled. But our courses were not on flat ground. So basically a vehicle could be leaning on a rock with only two tires on the ground and just drive on. At what point will the change occur from leaning to rolling? What about if you are starting to roll and you save it by using throttle and steering? (Just like 1:1 comp crawlers) At which point has the vehicle rolled and you receive the penalty if at the end it stays on it's wheels? Is it "if any other part than the wheels touch the ground"? Then it would be a roll over penalty even if all four tires were on the ground and you would drive under a rock ledge that your cage scrapes against.

The SORRCA rule is simple. If you can drive out it's not a roll. If you can't then it's a roll.

But if you want to go full ret... I mean scale then you better make an interior and driver mandatory in all classes. I don't think your magical bronco can drive itself without a driver. What about electric motors? Not many 1:1 crawlers with those. How about steering? Don't think there are many crawlers where the steering wheel is not attached to the vehicle.

This is scale RC crawling. The reason is given multiple times in these rule threads. Doesn't anybody read these? Just do a search of the Scale Comp Rules area with "knuckle weights" you'll find plenty of arguing about them. Even previously in this thread.
I don't give a shyte about knuckle weights, rules are rules, play by them or don't play that's the options. Its the fake indignation that it isn't scale that I find amusing.

2017 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 rules and next year's scale nats location. ... distinctive pd Scale Comp Rules 2 12-02-2016 04:00 PM