Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2017 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 04:19 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2017 Scale Rules

Great post above Badhoopty, with the FJ and the XJ comparison. -12 is a big reward for nothing and it feels like the rules committee is made up of a group of lexan haters. I liked your double down idea yesterday. -8 for store bought hardbody, -16 for scratch built makes a lot of sense to me.

Wasting breath. The Oracles have spoken and nothing changes after that. Ever.
youngblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I dont think its about hating lexan, I think its about drawing a line somewhere. For the handful of lexan bodies that look super realistic there are far more that dont, its almost impossible to make any rule without a product or two getting caught in the crossfire but this at least encourages more hardbodies and on average hardbodies look much better. Anyone can run one, those points are free for the taking.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Default 2017 Scale Rules

Is there any way a lexan based body can fall under the "hardbody custom" rule? I build with lexan for the ability to control what the main look like when they get scratched. Rust paint under to be exposed when damaged.
But my bodies are all sectioned at some/multiple points with full abs/styrene/metal interiors and as the rules read don't count, but a store bought killerbody that weighs less gets 12 more points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stevem50; 01-04-2017 at 06:48 AM.
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Great post above Badhoopty, with the FJ and the XJ comparison. -12 is a big reward for nothing and it feels like the rules committee is made up of a group of lexan haters. I liked your double down idea yesterday. -8 for store bought hardbody, -16 for scratch built makes a lot of sense to me.

Wasting breath. The Oracles have spoken and nothing changes after that. Ever.

It is a lot, and the reason it's been increased over last year is to make it easier to justify running a detailed hard body.

It's getting harder and harder to justify running a hard body now days, and we wanted to make sure that it was a viable, competitive option for competitors moving forward.

I feel like I say this a lot, but if you aren't happy with things then apply to be on the rules committee when we ask for new members. Every year we remove folks who haven't / can't contribute and add new blood. It's anything but a bunch of dictators.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
mike & tim, heres what i feel is a more apples to apples comparison to what i talked about on capeks fb post. i would continue the discussion there but i get angry when i read comments directed at me that are shitty and uninformed.

i'll take 1bjb's example of a hardbody and mine of a lexan body of comparable execution and spirit. lets be clear i TOTALLY give props on realism and a deserved scale point adv to the hardbody, but -12 imho is a bit much.

for sure the scx10.2 has been retouched to be dark under the body and in the wheelwells. but i feel they are both pretty damn scale, and im only bringing it up here to make sure im understood and not seen as crying over it, which i am not.
Hardbody: Reason for scale points.

1. More weight up high.
2. Fragile. Have to drive better.
3. Better details (more Scale looking)
4. Ridgidity. Won't flex out of the way. Less performance.

Dummy 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Love the rules and changes for this year.

Few questions just for clarification. Sorry I didn't quote the rules exactly so hopefully I didn't mess them up.

No axle weights on top of axle or knuckle weights of any kind.
1a. Are Dlux knuckles still legal in C3 as long as no weight rings are added? I think the answer is yes. Yes
1b. Are the new ssd bolt on knuckle weights for the scx10 II banned? I think the answer is yes, since they bolt direct to the knuckle as a weight Yes they are banned. Not legal.
1c. Are beef patties and the brass drums from TSS still legal? I think the answer is yes since they are rotating weight and have "scale" appearance. Yes they are legal

Carbon fiber chassis rails and slanted skids out in 2018 (listed only in the C1 section)
2. Are these all allowed in C1, C2, and C3 for 2017? Yes, legal in all classes for 2017And will be excluded in 2018 "only" on C1 and remain legal in C2, and C3? Yes, will be illegal in Class 1 next year, but will still be legal in Class 2 and 3 for 2018

Thanks committee. Keep up the good work.
Answers in yellow, and thanks!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
Is there any way a lexan based body can fall under the "hardbody custom" rule? I build with lexan for the ability to control what the main look like when they get scratched. Rust paint under to be exposed when damaged.
But my bodies are all sectioned at some/multiple points with full abs/styrene/metal interiors and as the rules read don't count, but a store bought killerbody that weighs less gets 12 more points

Nope
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Didn't think so, never have, even though they do meet all the criteria that you cited in your last post. Just taking a shot to see if there was some parity this year.. kind of annoying when my stuff is better built and detailed than an off the shelf China abs Cherokee that gets triple my points

Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #28

ive offered. i dont compete nearly enough to justify being a member, but i definitely have had my nose in the scene for a long time and for sure with my work history could help with helping edit the final draft to be a bit more solid.

before the 2017 rules came out and everybody was speculating i asked on the sorrca fb page about wild willy/matt hicks/knight customs figures being considered full, and i got an answer from a sorrca committee person (i forget who) that they were going to be. is that still the case?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Hardbody: Reason for scale points.

1. More weight up high.
2. Fragile. Have to drive better.
3. Better details (more Scale looking)
4. Ridgidity. Won't flex out of the way. Less performance.

Dummy 😀
i have tried very hard to communicate over multiple posts that im not at all questioning the scale aspects of a hardbody or that points shouldnt be awarded for one. i was just surprised to see what i felt was already a pretty decent point value bumped up even higher.

im over it... but please for the love of god understand that i understand that a hardbody is more scale.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i have tried very hard to communicate over multiple posts that im not at all questioning the scale aspects of a hardbody or that points shouldnt be awarded for one. i was just surprised to see what i felt was already a pretty decent point value bumped up even higher.

im over it... but please for the love of god understand that i understand that a hardbody is more scale.
We saw it as a "if you want more of X make it more appealing" sort of thing. Hopefully we'll see more hard bodies this year. That's the intent.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #31

i realize its one of the areas that can be locked down without a boatload of people whining about it. most hardbodys also most definitely restrict some areas where peoples 'creativity' may be influenced by a lexan body of questionable scale spirit.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #32
Sinking with the ship

I have seen some very scale lexan bodied rigs over the years, one in particular was my Wyoming FJ45 which he chopped a FJ40 proline body into the 45 cab and scratch built the bed from styrene. He even fiberglass reinforced the entire cab, so while it was lexan, it has ZERO deflection. However, that body in terms of current times would be extremely dated...

I think the upped points is a good thing, its not 10 years ago when we didnt have the options we have now. 2016 dropped a shit ton of hard bodies on us from the Killer bodies lc70, the XJ body, the WJ body, the RC4WD TF2 4 door hilux, those crappy bodies from the guy in canada who did the suburban, 4runners, bronco etc...

I can only imagine what 2017 will bring, 3d printing is constantly improving and I have seen quite a few badass bodies already.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 01-04-2017 at 01:31 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I have seen some very scale lexan bodied rigs over the years, one in particular was my Wyoming FJ45 which he chopped a FJ40 proline body into the 45 cab and scratch built the bed from styrene. He even fiberglass reinforced the entire cab, so while it was lexan, it has ZERO deflection. However, that body in terms of current times would be extremely dated...

I think the upped points is a good thing, its not 10 years ago when we didnt have the options we have now. 2016 dropped a shit ton of hard bodies on us from the Killer bodies lc70, the XJ body, the WJ body, the RC4WD TF2 4 door hilux, those crappy bodies from the guy in canada who did the suburban, 4runners, bronco etc...

I can only imagine what 2017 will bring, 3d printing is constantly improving and I have seen quite a few badass bodies already.

Another valid point for encouraging hardbodies! They are very easy to come by these days, and the cost in some cases is only a little more than a lexan body (the china JKs for example are around $60).
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #34
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Update #1 has occurred!

This was accidentally left off during the course of compiling:

Quote:
Hardbodies can be injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.
They can also be 3D printed or vacuum formed but must have a finished thickness of .060 with these processes to receive hardbody points.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

That solves my problem!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Bring your micrometers for tech-in!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

•*Hardbodies can be injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.*
•*They can also be 3D printed or vacuum formed but must have a finished thickness of .060 with these processes to receive hardbody points.

Couple questions.....

1) Injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.....do these bodies need to be .060 also ?

2) 3d printed or vacu-formed... .060, 100% or are there exceptions for stretching during the process of vacu-forming. I guess what I am askimg if it started as a .060 sheet is that a good enough baseline.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Plenty of lexan bodies are .060 thick, such as this Pro-line blazer.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...-1-10-crawler/

So vacuum formed .060 bodies that are white are worth -12 but vacuum formed .060 bodies that are clear are worth 0.

Who's coming up with this crap.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Default 2017 Scale Rules

So is wood an unacceptable hardbody method? You have all seen headquakes builds and I have build one previous body from wood myself. Limiting it to styrene or metal doesn't make any sense to me. I am in the process of beginning a new body build and like to work with wood as a medium because of its ease and strength. I wouldn't want to miss out on scale points because of the material I chose.

avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Personally I think the medium used should have less to do with the point value than the level of modification and finished product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 rules and next year's scale nats location. ... distinctive pd Scale Comp Rules 2 12-02-2016 04:00 PM