Notices

Thread: 2017 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2017 Scale Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post

So vacuum formed .060 bodies that are white are worth -12 but vacuum formed .060 bodies that are clear are worth 0.

Stuff like this is a clear turn off to getting involved. You have to have rules, but clearly someone has no clue about vacuum forming.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Bump.. looking for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Update #1 has occurred!

This was accidentally left off during the course of compiling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
•*Hardbodies can be injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.*
•*They can also be 3D printed or vacuum formed but must have a finished thickness of .060 with these processes to receive hardbody points.

Couple questions.....

1) Injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.....do these bodies need to be .060 also ?

2) 3d printed or vacu-formed... .060, 100% or are there exceptions for stretching during the process of vacu-forming. I guess what I am askimg if it started as a .060 sheet is that a good enough baseline
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Easiest way to tech this .060 rule would be to just have a small piece of .060 styrene on hand to spot check a few places for those that were wondering how to tech this. For example, just comparing the new axial cherokee body to a piece of .060 makes it look like its .015 or so.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
•*Hardbodies can be injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.*
•*They can also be 3D printed or vacuum formed but must have a finished thickness of .060 with these processes to receive hardbody points.

Couple questions.....

1) Injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.....do these bodies need to be .060 also ?

2) 3d printed or vacu-formed... .060, 100% or are there exceptions for stretching during the process of vacu-forming. I guess what I am askimg if it started as a .060 sheet is that a good enough baseline.
1. No, most injection molded bodies are thick, heavy and brittle. Metal can be any thickness. A steel body that's .060 would be REALLY heavy.
2. The body can be measured anywhere during tech and if it isn't .060 it will not get hardbody points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Plenty of lexan bodies are .060 thick, such as this Pro-line blazer.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...-1-10-crawler/

So vacuum formed .060 bodies that are white are worth -12 but vacuum formed .060 bodies that are clear are worth 0.

Who's coming up with this crap.
Lexan bodies don't get hardbody points ever. Vacuum formed Styrene or ABS bodies do get hardbody points if they are .060+ in thickness throughout the whole body.

The people that come up with this "crap" are a dedicated bunch of Scale enthusiasts that put a lot of their free time and effort into coming up with a fair way to distribute points so everyone else can compete and have fun. Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanord View Post
So is wood an unacceptable hardbody method? You have all seen headquakes builds and I have build one previous body from wood myself. Limiting it to styrene or metal doesn't make any sense to me. I am in the process of beginning a new body build and like to work with wood as a medium because of its ease and strength. I wouldn't want to miss out on scale points because of the material I chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say that a nicely done and detailed wood body should get the points. Something we can discuss in the committee for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
Personally I think the medium used should have less to do with the point value than the level of modification and finished product.
That sounds awesome, but difficult to regulate because it's an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Stuff like this is a clear turn off to getting involved. You have to have rules, but clearly someone has no clue about vacuum forming.
We did a lot of research, please enlighten us.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

War Pig thank you on the clarification. Just wondering what kind of detail you are looking for. I am posting up this picture as it was my first attempt at a hard body build. It is wood and the cab is lacking detail in my mind, but. It much. It is not a direct replica of an actual truck, but inspired by an old Willys or Power Wagon style. Since it was my first attempt I chose to go conceptual and learn along the way. The bed is far more detailed just don't have pictures. It had mirrors, door handles, full interior. It has just been run hard for the past 2 years.

I am asking if this is detailed enough or you would need more? I am curious because my upcoming build will be custom and I want to make sure I nail it. Thank you in advance.

avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Question on class 1 tires.
Are the rc4wd genius 1.9 tires illegal for class one the sidewall is marked 4.2 so I guessing yes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfred28 View Post
Question on class 1 tires.
Are the rc4wd genius 1.9 tires illegal for class one the sidewall is marked 4.2 so I guessing yes?

Does it say 42 or 4.2? (I asked a similar question here.)

Both 1.9 Genius tires are Class 1 legal per manufacturer specs:

Genius Ignorante 1.9" Scale Tires

Specifications:

Advanced X2 SS Compound (Super Soft & Super Sticky)
Fits 1.9" Wheels
OD: 4.09in / 104mm
ID: 1.9in / 48.3mm
Width: 1.52in / 38.5mm
Each Tire Weight: 1.69oz / 48g

RC4WD Genius Sem Limites 2 1.9" Scale Tires

Specifications:

Advanced X2SS Compound (Super Soft & Super Sticky)
Fit 1.9'' Wheels
OD: 4.13in / 105mm
ID: 1.84in / 46.8mm
Width: 1.46in / 37.3mm
Weight: 1.76oz / 50g
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Tire is marked 42 not 4.2.guess we will wait and see what a committee member says

fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfred28 View Post
Tire is marked 42 not 4.2.guess we will wait and see what a committee member says

Your question's answered. Manufacturers' posted specs are always what dictates a tire's legality.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Your question's answered. Manufacturers' posted specs are always what dictates a tire's legality.
Yup
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #51

are those ignorantes sorrca legal?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
are those ignorantes sorrca legal?
They are indeed a scaled down version of a real 1:1 tire (Genius Tyres link here).

btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

That thing must ride like a Cadillac...

stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Under the new rules 2017,
i have some simple questions:

1) the Vaterra Ascender brake discs (optional) are legal?

2) we have some difficulty in understanding what you mean exactly for "flat skid plate in class 1 "
probably the translation from the English language to the Italian language is not correct,
you can give a concrete and understandable example ?

3) "Cage must be a rigid material of at least 1/8” diameter that is permanently brazed, welded or soldered to create a single unit".
If the material used is aluminum, it's legal assemble tubes with screws and glue to aluminum or epoxy glue,
if the end result is a rigid cage?

4) Sliders - "Must be within 1/2" of each wheel well, or to the back of the cab on trucks"
In case of an unusual building, V8 engine visible and cabin only,
the solution adopted in this photo, which I believe is correct and realistic, is legal?

Thank you in advance for answers

Last edited by maxbonv; 01-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.
maxbonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Flat skid ... no angled skids in C1. The skid does not have to be flat, just not angled like a comp chasis skid. SCX10 skids and simular are 100% legal. SORCCA WILL BE DEFINING THIS BETTER in the future.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #56

for a hardbody... say i was to fully encapsulate a lexan body with .060 sheet styrene and did it right with nothing halfassed...? basically building a hardbody around a lexan one.

trail ranger body to be specific. conceptually speaking you could pop the lexan off the body once you got the styrene panels all glued up, but it would be nice to keep the lexan for added rigidity and areas that are glass or where you want the appearance of seperate body panel detail.

i think i could it very well and make the body more realistic than it is in its lexan form to be honest...

Quote:
Flat skid ... no angled skids in C1. The skid does not have to be flat, just not angled like a comp chasis skid. SCX10 skids and simular are 100% legal. SORCCA WILL BE DEFINING THIS BETTER in the future.
'skid must be horizontal at loaded ride height (+/- .x") and parallel to the chassis rails and body'

^better explains the skid rule imo and also addresses one of the realistically mounted body issues.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

What is a functional transfercase? Does it need hi and lo ranges to get points?

What is a realistically mounted body? No more body clips?

What is the reasoning behind making cms mandatory in C1?

Is the CC01 going to be illegal in 2018 in C1 because it does not have a metal chassis or a skidplate of any kind?

Bumpers and stuff:
"Flat plate may be any thickness with a minimum of 1/2”."
What does that mean? Flat plate can be any thickness as long as it is atleast 1/2" thick? Or should that be wide?

Why is the spare wheel width policed?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

A stepside bed usually has overall fender as wide as the cab, but the bed itself is narrower. Does it means all stepside beds are not allowed, even if they clearly do exist on real stock rigs?
May they be allowed, adding to the stepside a bumper which is as large as the front one, in order to exclude any "dovetail effect" advantage?

Thanks
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=badhoopty;5646317]for a hardbody... say i was to fully encapsulate a lexan body with .060 sheet styrene and did it right with nothing halfassed...? basically building a hardbody around a lexan one.

trail ranger body to be specific. conceptually speaking you could pop the lexan off the body once you got the styrene panels all glued up, but it would be nice to keep the lexan for added rigidity and areas that are glass or where you want the appearance of seperate body panel detail.

i think i could it very well and make the body more realistic than it is in its lexan form to be.

This is how I have done mine, sometimes with the lexan panels on the outside (impact zones, so I can have color coat on the outside and rust effect after it scrapes off ) or styrene/metal on the outside of the lexan for detail or structural panels. If you mic my bodies they end up well over .060.. but since lexan is one of the materials used, no points. Yet wood is an acceptable material? Yes you can sculpt a beautiful body from wood, but nobody is going to use it in a 1:1 build. Lexan/polycarbonate is used in every race car I've ever seen, at least as windows on road vehicles, and for body panels on utvs

stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Could you clarify the 'functional t-case' for the bonus points? functional 2wd/4wd or just being a separate, dedicated t-case? I have a Dinky divorce mount t-case, does that count?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

2017 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 rules and next year's scale nats location. ... distinctive pd Scale Comp Rules 2 12-02-2016 04:00 PM