Notices

Thread: 2017 Scale Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default 2017 Scale Rules

2017 Rules V1 are up and available for download:
http://sorrca.com/rules/2017Rules.pdf

I say V1 because the public always find a few things we missed and we correct over the course of the next few days.

I will be updating the site and this thread with more download options when we have everything 100% finalized.

If you are interested in any of the older rule sets, they are also available from the SORRCA site:
SORRCA.com

1/4/17 update:
Update #1 has occurred!

This was accidentally left off during the course of compiling:
Quote:
• Hardbodies can be injection molded or hand made from styrene or metal.
• They can also be 3D printed or vacuum formed but must have a finished thickness of .060 with these processes to receive hardbody points.

Stay tuned for future updates.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-04-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: 2017 Scale Rules

Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Timely, I like it!
MudHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Couldnt be happier about the changes made, look forward to seeing more realistic looking trucks at the scale events
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I said it last year and I'll say it this year, C3 gate minimum needs to be widened! Taller tires are becoming more and more popular and trying to cram a 12"+ wide truck through a 13" gate is unrealistic. Class 3 is supposed to be the big bad class, its time to grow with the trend the trucks are going.

Glad to see the comp wheels have been banned.

Under metal accessories, the new info about being for minimum of 1/2" is that for just bumpers or does that include sliders and shock mounts too?

3d shock mounts... If I simply cut off my plate chassis rail shock mounts and weld them back on... -1? (asking for a friend )

My last bone to pick... a store bought hard body has been boosted to -12 but the guy that takes the time to build a custom body only gets -4. way to encourage the scratch builds guys.

Last edited by youngblood; 01-03-2017 at 08:20 AM.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
RCC Addict

^^^ lol. Asking for a friend
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
I said it last year and I'll say it this year, C3 gate minimum needs to be widened! Taller tires are becoming more and more popular and trying to cram a 12"+ wide truck through a 13" gate is unrealistic. Class 3 is supposed to be the big bad class, its time to grow with the trend the trucks are going.

Under metal accessories, the new info about being for minimum of 1/2" is that for just bumpers or does that include sliders and shock mounts too?

3d shock mounts... If I simply cut off my plate chassis rail shock mounts and weld them back on... -1? (asking for a friend )

My last bone to pick... a store bought hard body has been boosted to -12 but the guy that takes the time to build a custom body only gets -4. way to encourage the scratch builds guys.

The custom body points are in addition to the hard body points. So it would be -16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post
The custom body points are in addition to the hard body points. So it would be -16.
Ahh, that makes more sense now. thanks
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

-12 for a store bought hardbody is insane to me... i would have much rather seen a double down -16 for custom hardbody and keep the -8 for regular bolt on hardbody.

other than that i think the rules are damn nice, very very happy to see interior points restored to reward the effort and space required for proper 3d.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

wow this has me soooo wanting to build a scaler that i could comp with... those rules seem very nice...
Class 1 or 2 ( liking class 1 )

im a super n00b at this so here is my stupidity question.

on rules it says - in front of points. That sounds like a penalty to me...

my example is..
Body:
Hard body:
Full -12, cab -6

so if I did a clod body (as I want to make a 1:1 of my current stock real truck)....

would be -12 for hard body... That is good?
so you add up all the - points and that is a good thing then?

/stupidity
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post

1. That's just a minimum width for the gates. Course designers certainly can make the gates wider at their own discretion.
2. 13" is pretty wide IMO. My C3 truck with wraith axles and tall tires has a track width of 10 7/8". I want to say a stock wraith is still under 12".
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
wow this has me soooo wanting to build a scaler that i could comp with... those rules seem very nice...
Class 1 or 2 ( liking class 1 )

im a super n00b at this so here is my stupidity question.

on rules it says - in front of points. That sounds like a penalty to me...

would be -12 for hard body... That is good?
so you add up all the - points and that is a good thing then?

/stupidity
negative is good. im very ignorantly simplifying here (cause some of the scoring is straight up voodoo to me...) but +points are added to your rigs scale point value when you make any mistakes during your run on the gated course. the driver with the lowest score wins.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
negative is good. im very ignorantly simplifying here (cause some of the scoring is straight up voodoo to me...) but +points are added to your rigs scale point value when you make any mistakes during your run on the gated course. the driver with the lowest score wins.
thx for that...
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EDGE View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't get that. So you get an advantage for having more weight on top(I get this part) but you get more of an advantage for a custom body.

So I can just spend a little extra cash to have someone make me a body and get some extra points but don't actually put in the extra work you are clearly trying to encourage.

The other think I don't get is in C1 allowing wheels to extend past the fenders. There are only a few states in the union where tires extended past the wheel wells is street legal, and generally they are required flaps to cover 100% of the exposed tire.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Yeah, I don't get that. So you get an advantage for having more weight on top(I get this part) but you get more of an advantage for a custom body.

So I can just spend a little extra cash to have someone make me a body and get some extra points but don't actually put in the extra work you are clearly trying to encourage.

The other think I don't get is in C1 allowing wheels to extend past the fenders. There are only a few states in the union where tires extended past the wheel wells is street legal, and generally they are required flaps to cover 100% of the exposed tire.
its all to encourage more realistic builds...

the c1 tire coverage is because there just arent many axle and tire/wheel combos that will allow for full coverage with the available bodies on the market. The class 1 trucks are suppose to look like something that is daily driven and wheeled on the weekends. my 1:1 83 toyota has tires that stick out past the wells.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #16

mike & tim, heres what i feel is a more apples to apples comparison to what i talked about on capeks fb post. i would continue the discussion there but i get angry when i read comments directed at me that are shitty and uninformed.

i'll take 1bjb's example of a hardbody and mine of a lexan body of comparable execution and spirit. lets be clear i TOTALLY give props on realism and a deserved scale point adv to the hardbody, but -12 imho is a bit much.

for sure the scx10.2 has been retouched to be dark under the body and in the wheelwells. but i feel they are both pretty damn scale, and im only bringing it up here to make sure im understood and not seen as crying over it, which i am not.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #17

...ok maybe i cried a little.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #18
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
...ok maybe i cried a little.
I didn't think you were crying

I also some of the lexan bodies have come really far, for example the proline toyota body with all knight customs goodies, which by the way I am building one of those

It's just that majority of the time the hardbodies tend to be more realistic looking just to start
Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #19

i can look at it subjectively enough to see how its alot easier to maintain a scale aspect overall if hardbodies are heavily encouraged, hardbodies by nature are more realistic and not so monster jammy as something like a crowd pleazer.

everything else in the rules i find outstanding. happy happy to see the interior stuff redone.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Love the rules and changes for this year.

Few questions just for clarification. Sorry I didn't quote the rules exactly so hopefully I didn't mess them up.

No axle weights on top of axle or knuckle weights of any kind.
1a. Are Dlux knuckles still legal in C3 as long as no weight rings are added? I think the answer is yes.
1b. Are the new ssd bolt on knuckle weights for the scx10 II banned? I think the answer is yes, since they bolt direct to the knuckle as a weight
1c. Are beef patties and the brass drums from TSS still legal? I think the answer is yes since they are rotating weight and have "scale" appearance.

Carbon fiber chassis rails and slanted skids out in 2018 (listed only in the C1 section)
2. Are these all allowed in C1, C2, and C3 for 2017? And will be excluded in 2018 "only" on C1 and remain legal in C2, and C3?

Thanks committee. Keep up the good work.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote

2017 Scale Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 rules and next year's scale nats location. ... distinctive pd Scale Comp Rules 2 12-02-2016 04:00 PM