Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My Tuber build, Hydraulic Steering, Custom Hubs, Front Dig with Disk Brake, lots of p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #361
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted
Default Info for people wanting to machine thier own winch

I have received tons of PM's asking me if I have any winches for sale, As of right now I do not unfortunatly! I am working on something that is more to scale and better mechanicly, Stronger and easier to reproduce. However I can not elaborate on this as of right now. If everything works out you may all see this for sale in the not so distant future but again I cant release any details on that either! Sorry guys its just what I have to do untill the testing and details of reproducing them can be released.

But what I will do is post some pics of the internal workings of my first winch. I remembered yesterday that I would post these up for you all to have something to possibly get your brains going and build your own if thats what you would like to do. Keep in mind that there are easier ways and parts redily available with a little bit of searching on the internet and some innovation. Believe it or not I built this one before I actualy started searching for other ways to build a small winch. Again there are easier ways! Now you can find small gearhead motors but just pay particular attention to the the output or in-oz of tq. Take into account the drum diameter!!! the bigger it is the less power you have, the smaller the more you have! The gears I used on this are metal servo gears that I got at my LHS If you want details on the part#s I may be able to get it for you by request. The motor I used if from a ducted fan unit that came out of a big foam A-10 I crashed years ago. These motors are very powerfull but also very fast! (high RPM's) so you have to gear down and for the control of the winch I found it best to use an Associated XPS speed control, the amperage ratings are perfect for a winch especialy its continuous load, its small, light and here are the specs for that:

Voltage input: 4.8-8.5V
Internal resistance: 0.0045Ohm
Momentary load (1 second): 50A
Brief load (30 seconds): 30A
Continuous load (5 minutes): 20A

If you do use this speed control WARNING!!!!! you must!!!!!!!!! take the red WIRE out of the reciever plug and use only the white siginal AND BLACK GROUND wire in the plug! take THE RED OR "POWER" wire and shrink rap IT individualy SO IT DOESNT touch ANYTHING! and tuck IT away! The reason I say this is, you will need to use the two 14g power-in wires to get your power from the batt! If you dont remove the RED power wire from the speed control receiver plug you will back feed power and burn the ESC up!!!! Mystery smoke!!! NOT GOOD They are about $50 each and I learned the hard way burning two of them up!

Well thats all I can think of for now if you have any questions please feel free to ask! Like I said there are better ways of making a winch but this is a cheep way to do it if you have machines and this is just intended to help people get started and get you wheels turning in your head and come up with your own untill I have something available.

So here are the pics! NOW GET TO WORK!!!! I want to see some custom winches at the Montana scale comp!!!!!

Last edited by CCFBERG; 05-20-2008 at 02:02 PM.
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #362
RCC Addict

CCFBERG........, Thanks a lot man! That is pretty awesome for sharing the info! Not many people do that.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #363
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150bronco View Post
CCFBERG........, Thanks a lot man! That is pretty awesome for sharing the info! Not many people do that.
Your welcome man! I just figured that since I have decided to not reproduce these winches I would give up the internal secret
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #364
RCC Addict

Hey! I know that little motor. That is a GWS IPS motor...more specifically a IPS-1AXC 7.2V. :-D I have used many of them (and their brushless equivalents) over the last bunch of years. Those little awesome motors are so useful for so many things. I wonder how one of the GWS LPS motors would do? Not as strong as the IPS, but half the size...
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #365
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster View Post
Hey! I know that little motor. That is a GWS IPS motor...more specifically a IPS-1AXC 7.2V. :-D I have used many of them (and their brushless equivalents) over the last bunch of years. Those little awesome motors are so useful for so many things. I wonder how one of the GWS LPS motors would do? Not as strong as the IPS, but half the size...

Ya torquee little bastard isnt it! I had two of them but the first one granaded itself when I tried to use it.

Oh ya I forgot something on this........pack your gear housing with a light wieght synthetic grease and a small amount of synthetic oil. If you dont you will smoke these little gears in no time flat!

Last edited by CCFBERG; 02-20-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #366
Rock Crawler

Well guys after along time testing different setups, fixing this and fixing that I have decided to withdraw from the hydraulic steering game for the moment. I will be regretably:-( mounting a servo on the axle and going to the standard setup. As you have all seen on my thread the system works! But unfortunatly it just to unreliable for my liking at this time! I decided to go to the standard setup for now after working on several different things over the last 2 days. One of the things I noticed is I was only getting 25 degrees of steering and that is just unaceptable when I could easily get 40 from a axle mounted servo. I built an actuator that gave me 40 degrees bof steer but then in the testing of this I blew a master cylinder rod seal testing it under load. So for now I am going to move on and get this rig completed so I can play after working on it for the last year and 2 mos. I havent given up on the hydraulic steering and will continue to work on a setup that is reliable and wont give me hell at a comp, but Im not going to work on this hydraulic stuff again untill after the Montana scale comp. Ive given it one hell of a try and was pleased with alot of the results I got but like today blowing a seal is something I am not willing to risk.

When I do get back to working on the hydro steering I will be using actuators that are manufactured already, it will be the same setup and type of system but I will just be buying my actuators instead of making them. I will also setup a test bed and work it that way untill I have something that works without blowing seals and having other minor problems and then I will mount it on the truck. Anyway I was realy looking forward to having this type of steering but Im just burnt out for now! Just thought I would let you all know where I stood on this.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #367
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Gotta commend you on your efforts to make this work. It's been fascinating to watch your innovation
and I'm sure everyone appreciates your sharing of information and all the details of your build.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #368
rbl
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
Gotta commend you on your efforts to make this work. It's been fascinating to watch your innovation
and I'm sure everyone appreciates your sharing of information and all the details of your build.
Jay

ditto,

im interesed to see how it turns out after some fine tunning.

good luck with it
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #369
Pebble Pounder

Good try Shawn, I know it is killing you that its not up and running right and reliable but I know you will have it down soon enough. We missed you at the comp yesterday, the weather was good and we had a great time. Alot of people asked about you and were bummed that you didnt make it out so they could have seen the beast. The next comp is next month in Yakima and that place rocks so be ready and keep up with the awesome work.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #370
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Good try Shawn, I know it is killing you that its not up and running right and reliable but I know you will have it down soon enough. We missed you at the comp yesterday, the weather was good and we had a great time. Alot of people asked about you and were bummed that you didnt make it out so they could have seen the beast. The next comp is next month in Yakima and that place rocks so be ready and keep up with the awesome work.

Thanks man! But its not over yet! Believe me! I Met with Chris today, wnt over to his place after I told him what Im going to try next and he gave me some goodies So ya for now Im just going to get her together to play with and Ill retro fit hydraulics later. Ill give you the details of my plan later when I see ya! As far as this weekend, We didnt do anything that we were supposed to do that the wife bugged me about all week! PISSED! WASTED WEEKEND!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #371
Rock Crawler

Well everyone, I just received notification that I have orders to move to Ramstein Air Base Germany for the next 4 years and I have to be there by June 30th possibly earlier. So If this truck isnt finnished in like the next 2 weeks I will have to forfit the Montana Scale comp in May and pack everything up to move to Germany. If this happens my tickets for the comp may go up for grabs and Ill let you all know!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #372
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFBERG View Post
Well everyone, I just received notification that I have orders to move to Ramstein Air Base Germany for the next 4 years and I have to be there by June 30th possibly earlier. So If this truck isnt finnished in like the next 2 weeks I will have to forfit the Montana Scale comp in May and pack everything up to move to Germany. If this happens my tickets for the comp may go up for grabs and Ill let you all know!
It is a great AFB. I lived there for nearly 10 years. Have fun in "Little America" as it is called.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #373

That the cool project
RESpect you from russian Crawlers
Stepan4ek_RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #374
Trying to have Fun Again

Quote:
Damb that sucks Shawn, I do hope you can go to Montana.

Good news is now you can show us some of the cool stuff they have oversea's.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #375
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
Damb that sucks Shawn, I do hope you can go to Montana.

Good news is now you can show us some of the cool stuff they have oversea's.

Ya man, this aspect of my moving does suck! Im going to have to start all over again! Ill have to find all the Hobbie shops around the base agian if they have any, get my network of people and resources built up again and what realy sucks is I will have to find a place that has room to build a small shop so I can get back to fabing again. I just built my shop 2 years ago and had so many plans! Pretty bummed about that! Hell I havent even ben out to crawl with any of you guys yet, this sucks!

As far as Montana goes Im still trying to figure out if its going to be something I can fit in. Ill know more middle of this week and Ill let you know!

And yes I will be back up on here as soon as I can get settled over in Germany and Ill post up all the cool stuff I can find!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #376
Rock Crawler

I would love to get stationed at Ramstein!!! I hope you get this truck done soon lol!!!
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #377
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ya man, this aspect of my moving does suck! Im going to have to start all over again! Ill have to find all the Hobbie shops around the base agian if they have any, get my network of people and resources built up again and what realy sucks is I will have to find a place that has room to build a small shop so I can get back to fabing again. I just built my shop 2 years ago and had so many plans! Pretty bummed about that! Hell I havent even ben out to crawl with any of you guys yet, this sucks!

As far as Montana goes Im still trying to figure out if its going to be something I can fit in. Ill know more middle of this week and Ill let you know!

And yes I will be back up on here as soon as I can get settled over in Germany and Ill post up all the cool stuff I can find!!
There used to be an awesome hobby shop in Kaiserslautern near Karstadts (big department store, awesome cafeteria) downtown. I went there every weekend and spent too much money. There was another one in Miesenbach, but I think they were closing when my folks and I PCS'ed back to California. I know there is a huge one in Frankfurt, but that is a 45 minute drive one-way. Might be worth a day trip, but your milage will vary.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #378
Rock Crawler

Default Scale comp tickets

My tickets for the MT Scale Comp are up for grabs!

Go here for info if you want them:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...87#post1080287

Last edited by CCFBERG; 03-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #379
Trying to have Fun Again

Well sorry to here that shawn. We still have 2 more comp left one in march and the last one in spokane. Even if it isn't running we would love to see you one last time before you get sent off to germany. I might have a big shopping list for you to find me some parts that are on some germany websites and have you pick them up for me and send me the parts.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #380
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rockcrawler View Post
Well sorry to here that shawn. We still have 2 more comp left one in march and the last one in spokane. Even if it isn't running we would love to see you one last time before you get sent off to germany. I might have a big shopping list for you to find me some parts that are on some germany websites and have you pick them up for me and send me the parts.
Hey no prob buddy! I think I can make itatleast one time before I leave. And those parts you want, just let me know man! Ill get them for ya! Also Things have changed a bit in the last day and I may not have to report untill June 30th so if thats the case I will be making it to the scale comp!

Going back into the shop starting tonight and try to get that rig going, gonna press on with life like Im not leaving until late june untill I here something different. I was asked to report early by these people over there but they arent helping me out so Im saying screw the early report date, untill they pull thier heads out Im not going to inconvience myself or my wife trying to get there early when they are the ones asking but not providing any further guidance on what they want from me! Screw em!

Anyway so like I said hopefully Ill still get to the last comps and scale comp and have a blast with ya before I go!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/82803-my-tuber-build-hydraulic-steering-custom-hubs-front-dig-disk-brake-lots-p.html
Posted By For Type Date
лебедка Post #0 Refback 10-06-2011 01:17 AM
Зарубежные проекты 1.9 - Страница 4 This thread Refback 10-05-2011 03:36 AM