Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3PM 3-speed Shift possibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 3PM 3-speed Shift possibility

I think I got it figured out but would like some addition verification from you other 3PM owners. I was searching around here and all I could find was 4ws setup, nothing on 3 positions for the 3rd channel. I've got a High Lift coming in the next couple days so I was playing around with one of my 3PMs trying to get a 3 position setup. With just a servo sitting on the bench it looks like it will work for the 3-speed trans with 2nd gear as the default/centered position. There's no reason why it shouldn't work with Dig too.

Shifting - Shifting between 3rd and 2nd - just hit the Cond2 Switch
Shifting between 1st and 2nd - Use the SW2 switch

-SW2 off (against the wheel) / Cond SW off (normal) - Second Gear / Centered servo
-SW2 on (away from wheel) / Cond SW off (normal) - First Gear
-SW2 off / Cond SW on (LED Blinking) - Third Gear

I was using a 27mhz 3PM with a HPI SF-1 servo. I just had that and an AI Runner ESC for power sitting on the bench, hitting buttons until something worked.

I started with the 4ws tutorial on here and in the controller's system setting I started with a fresh profile and then I set SW2 to 3C (pg 54) and tuned on the Cond 2 switch (pg 56)

from here on out it was more like a monkey with the proverbial football but here's what I came up with.

PMX Screens w/ Cond2 off

PMX Rt = (LFU) -100
PMX Rt = (RBD) 0
PMX-MS = CH3
PMX-SL = CH3
PMX-MD = on

PMX Screens w/ Cond2 On

PMX-RT = (LFU) -50
PMX-RT = (RBD) +50
The rest is the same

And on the 3rd ch EPA's

EPA-3C (LFU) 100%
EPA-3C (RBD) 50%

I managed to trim the servo throw down to what should be close but I don't have anything to try it on just yet. If anyone comes up with a better config please post it.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The 3PM can shift the Highlift 3 speed trans. Got it installed and shifting. I had to reverse the servo because of how it's mounted and recenter it using the 3ch sub trim but it works fine.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #3

Default Futaba 3pm Help

Thank You So Much For The Help..!!! I Will Try That Myself And See If I Cant Get It To Work. I Was Trying To Go This Route Rather Than Spending Money On A New Radio. So Thans Again For Your Help.!! Anything New Pops Up Please Let Me Know..!!
CLIMR0XAX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks also man! I am getting me another highlift here soon. I was just reading the tutorial last night on the 3PM also and set my 3PM for 4WS
chino438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Mriswith, this works with the factory thumb button?
Or did you install a toggle?
Very nice info if it's factory components since I'm ready for dig and don't like the thought of tearing apart a new 3PM.
Thanks for the info.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
Very nice info if it's factory components since I'm ready for dig and don't like the thought of tearing apart a new 3PM.
Thanks for the info.
Factory stuff, no modding of any sort. With the switch placement on the 3PM it may be a little cumbersome to use but you can get 3 positions. I haven't tried it on a dig setup yet but I don't see why it won't work.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Great write-up!
I programmed my 3PM according to your instructions for my VF dig and IT WORKS!!! The button on the handle will place the dig in free wheel and the SW switch would operate the 4wd and dig.

Thanks!
Sprint 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

OH man..... saving this thread to my favorites.

so when I do my dig.....soonday

Thanks
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinDoug View Post
Thanks for the info.
I have a tq3 and all I had to do was replace the 2-way switch with a 3-way toggle switch. All the wiring was there all I had to do was solder the wires (had to try a few different configurations first), and drill a hole for the switch, and you dont even have to do that! It has worked for 2 years now with 0 problems.
Hellstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm glad I found this thread, I bought a Futaba stick radio for my highlift and I am not really liking it, the throttle/gear shift stick has no return spring
which makes it a pain in the ass:-(
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstomper View Post
I have a tq3 and all I had to do was replace the 2-way switch with a 3-way toggle switch. All the wiring was there all I had to do was solder the wires (had to try a few different configurations first), and drill a hole for the switch, and you dont even have to do that! It has worked for 2 years now with 0 problems.
Thats true a modded TQ3 works great if you want a cheap AM 27mhz radio. But if you already have a 3PM with all it's adjustments, why fall down the elevator shaft for the TQ3 when you can spend a few agonizing minutes and no money.

Don't get me wrong there are way better radios than the 3PM but I like all my adjustments in a 2.4 freq for a reasonable price and I'm sick of 27mhz. That and I have 2 of 'em
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
Thats true a modded TQ3 works great if you want a cheap AM 27mhz radio. But if you already have a 3PM with all it's adjustments, why fall down the elevator shaft for the TQ3 when you can spend a few agonizing minutes and no money.

Don't get me wrong there are way better radios than the 3PM but I like all my adjustments in a 2.4 freq for a reasonable price and I'm sick of 27mhz. That and I have 2 of 'em
Thats cool I dont know $hit about radios. My first rc was a t-maxx, and the tq3 receivers are cheap and easy to find so I never really tried anything else. Although I have been getting kinda annoyed with having glitchy crawlers. Maybe its time to try something else (It's been like 4 years with the same radio!).
Hellstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Mriswith,
Thanks for posting up that info. I've read the 3pm manual and I couldn't figure it out, so thanks for explaining it.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Still not working for me. When I try to turn the PMX-MD from off I have "inh" instead of "on".

With all other settings as described... Here is what I get.

SW2 only switches Ch3 between 100 left trim and 100 right trim.
When I hit SW1, it switches to Cond 2, but nothing happens, and if I hit SW2 while in condition 2 it still does the same thing as condition 2 off.

So basically I am getting 2 positions and I can't adjust the servo throw. I get about 1/4 inch from one side to the other.

I'm about to pull out my hair. Can anyone straighten me out?

Thanks
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Unhappy

I tried to do the 3 position programming last night for my son's VF dig in his GC1. He wanted to try the free wheel option. So I printed out Mriswith's instruction in the first post and went out to the garage with the 3PM FM instruction manual as well. I was able to get it to perform the 3 positions, however I was unable to get it to work properly for me.

I was trying to get the 3 position to work this way:

SW2 switch off = 4WD
SW2 switch on = Free wheel
SW2 switch off and 3rd channel button on = Dig

That did not work. It would work properly with SW2 switch on and 3rd channel button on, but since we use dig more than free wheel, I don't want to have to go through a special procedure to get into dig. I was hoping to be able to get from 4WD to Dig with one button like it was before I attempted this. Please keep in mind this a 6 year olds comp rig. He knows how to use every part of it and drives well, but I am still trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I tried every possible combo last night. I tried switching it to this and still no luck:

SW2 switch off = Free wheel
SW2 switch on = 4wd drive
SW2 switch on + 3rd channel button on = dig

No luck.

The biggest problem I encountered, was I getting four distinct servo positions. If you did not follow the exact order to engage or disengage, or if you pressed the 3rd channel button out of sequence, the servo moved to a unknown position causing complete disruption. About an hour later, I thought I had it right. So I attached the dig linkage to the servo to begin the final tuning of it. Within minutes the Hitec 645MG servo burned out:-(. I am / was extremely disappointed to say the least. I should have left it the way I had it with a 2 position 3rd channel.

I would not recommend this programming for a comp rig or an adolescent. It could be very confusing during a comp and take attention away from your driving line and if you get out of sequence in the 3rd channel operation you could possibly burn up the servo. I think I will be looking into a DX3 with a 3 position switch instead. For a scaler this would be fine like how Mriswith has it. But if you ever engage the 3rd channel button out of sequence it moved the servo to a fourth position. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there something wrong in the way I programmed it?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Never said it was the best radio or that it would be easy to operate, just that I had got it work with 3 positions. And yes if you get the sequence out of wack you get like 4 positions.

I would assume that those who have gotten it to work for Dig are switching something like this ..

SW2 off / Cond Sw on - dig
SW2 off / Cond SW off - freewheel
SW2 on / Cond SW off - 4wd

Freewheel being the centered servo horn position

It's definately not the best solution for a comp, I think I mentioned something about cumbersome too. If you already have one it just happens to save you a few bucks and buy you some time before upgrading to something like the DX3. Milage May Vary.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
Never said it was the best radio or that it would be easy to operate, just that I had got it work with 3 positions. And yes if you get the sequence out of wack you get like 4 positions.

I would assume that those who have gotten it to work for Dig are switching something like this ..

SW2 off / Cond Sw on - dig
SW2 off / Cond SW off - freewheel
SW2 on / Cond SW off - 4wd

Freewheel being the centered servo horn position

It's definitely not the best solution for a comp, I think I mentioned something about cumbersome too. If you already have one it just happens to save you a few bucks and buy you some time before upgrading to something like the DX3. Mileage May Vary.
Right on bro. I hope my post doesn't seem derogatory. I was not trying to blame you or anyone else. If it had not been for you, I would have never even attempted it or figured out how to even work it. So props to you for figuring it out and posting such a comprehensive list of instructions. At least I got it to work, regardless of the outcome. After talking it over with my son though, he wants it simple and we'll just go back to how we had it.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #18

thanks! i was able to make it work on my winch
mandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #19

Such a great thread!!!!!! it worked for me i had to reverse the servo and adjust the end points to not burn up the servo but could have never done this in a year of triying on my own thaks so much!!!!!!!
goofy4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #20

Thumbs up Thanks!

Mriswith-

You are MUCH SMARTER than I! I spent an hour or so messing around and decided I couldn't make the radio do this. I see you figured it out! Thank you very much. I see its a little long, but much better than buying another radio, as I have only had this one about 1 month! Wife wouldn't be happy at all about another new toy showing up.....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
w0ace is offline   Reply With Quote