Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering Computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering Computer

I have a quick announcement...
I have developed a awesome new product for any four wheel steering rig, even if you don't use rear steer for your crawling class. The product is the Punk Rock Crawler Steering Computer (Patent Pending) sold exclusively by www.clodmodracing.com.
The PRCSC, is a small computer that plugs into your 3 channel receiver. You then plug in both front and rear servos into the PRCSC. Now your third channel toggle will switch between three steering modes:
(1) Normal Dual Steering
(2) Rear Lockout Steering
(3) Crabwalk Dual Steering

Product Manual: http://www.clodmodracing.com/files/PRCSC.pdf
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-aUkNDMgDA

Their webpage is needing some updating, but you can order it there from the NEWS section. There are a few in stock (I will edit this post when they sell), with tons more on the way.
We are also looking for Hobby Shops and other Vendors.
-PunkRC

Last edited by PunkRC; 07-25-2007 at 09:38 AM.
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Very Cool idea!!! I can see this being fairly popular!
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I want one.. I want one.
damion289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I prefer independant control of my rear servo - actuating both servos from one source will make the rear go places you don't want it to as you try to steer the front.

BUT - as an easy to install, plug-and-play solution - that's a really cool idea. Especially as it will work with no mods at all to a stock TQ3. This will be a good solution for those who lack the ability to do hard modifications.

The ability to turn off the rear servo solves half the problem of all wheel steering.

Did you fabricate the prototype for that unit yourself?

Last edited by Big Mike; 07-24-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

awesome system for rear steer, definitely something else to add to the list...
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This seems like something that you would be better off marketing to the monster truck fanatic. Because most crawler drivers would probably like total control of the rear servo, but monster truck fanatics who just want a tighter turning radius could benifit much more from this. But its a really good idea anyway.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default hmm

checking it out now looks interesting to me too for a 2.2
flomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

THANKS FOR THE POSITIVE RESPONSES!!!!!
I am having the boards manufactured, then some assembly by a few different people. I also then program them. The beauty of the little computer is I can program them to do most anything. I will have a version soon that will *** speed proportional steering to any vehicle. I also have some things I cannot mention until I get patent protection.
As for turning off and on the rear steer, to a TQ3 which does not center, a simple on-off toggle can be added to the gray wire and it will act as a rear steer turn off and on.
As for the totally independent steer, when I designed the UTQ3 radio hack, I kept the toggle option, but when you can toggle the rear behavior of the wheels, you realize that most the time you are doing one of the three behaviors. I ended up never using the toggle again, but that was just me. I wish I could just hand these out for people to see.
I will also be doing a Dig Steer unit that will attach to any 2+ channel system and it will cut power to the rear motor, or actuate a disengage servo, for an easy was to add dig steer.
Let me know if you have any more questions or comments.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So what you've got is a selectable-mix option for any radio. Sweet.

I can do the same thing with my R-1 But I'll bet your board costs a little less than $350.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

FYI I just added an ebay auction here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290142977254
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

We are hosting a product giveaway here in the general crawler section.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

so would it be something like what a Futaba 3pm does?
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My thoughts excatly , i programmed my friends 3 pm and i does the exact same thing.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

This thing looks awesome i almost bought the clodmodracing tq3 controller with all 9 yards of switches and stuff but with it pushing $100 i think i like this better. And it will work w/o any modifications. Nice work punk
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
So what you've got is a selectable-mix option for any radio. Sweet.

I can do the same thing with my R-1 But I'll bet your board costs a little less than $350.
I was thinking almost the same thing "gee, that's cool. Just like my Nomadio React was first set up".

Cool idea though for people not wanting to spend the coin on a good radio.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I really like the UTQ3, but they were a little on the expensive side and they were labor intensive to build. Also, they didn't work for guys who have already invested in a radio. That is where I had the idea of the PRCSC.
I really appreciate everyone's comments.
I am pretty sure no radios do exactly this, but they can do something like it. One feature don't think has been done is the ability to lock the servo to center, or have it mix normal, or reverse mix. I'm sure doing two of those is possible. Let me know that the Futaba 3pm will do if I am mistaken or not. (I have never invested in one)

BTW, if this is the least bit cool, I CANT wait to show everyone our next couple items in the works. I will start talking about it once I get the patenting.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Cant wait man. You have a future customer right here this will be a gread adition for my super crawler. I cant wait to see what your "secret" project is when do you think you can start talking about it? i bet you cant wait to tell us.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple of questions. First, I run my servos off of my ESCs so as not to have to hassle a receiver pack or other voltage source. I use high quality ESCs like SR, SD, and TR2s and am happy with the servo power and response. Your device is powered from the BEC and must pass the BEC volts/amps through to the servos, so I am wondering if the available servo power is degraded much? For instance, if the ESC's BEC is rated at 6V and 5A, what will be available for the servos?

Second, it sounds like you must have a 3 position switch on the transmitters 3rd channel to get full function from the PRCSC. I have a JR XS3Pro that I had hoped to use but found out that the 3rd channel can't drive the rear servo independently. So, I bought several cheapo TQ3s and have been using them. The TQ3 works fine with the added 3-position switch by itself. I don't think your device adds much functionality to a modified TQ3. However, I would be interested in using with my JR or unmodified TQ3 if the PRCSC can be programmed differently. What I and probably many others would be willing to give up is the "crabwalking" mode to have a rear lockout mode and a dual steer mode on factory 2 position switch. I had planned to do myself using a failsafe device and relay but would pay more to get a "plug and play" unit. Is the PRCSC capable of this?
Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

cool idea i hope it sells for ya
MAXIMUM777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Talking

In reply to Jeeper:

The PRCSC draws less than 0.05 amps. The amperage used is negligible. It is about 1/25th of what most servos use without a load just turned on.
You are adding about 10" of servo wire. It is heavy duty high guage wire so resistance across them is very small. Also, the PRCSC itself has large circuit traces to allow for good conduction.

If using a two position switch, and you want the two modes to be normal and lockout, I can easily reprogram then that way. Let me know what you want when you order and I can program them to suit. I can also "upgrade" your program if you ever change your mind, just ship it back and let us know what you like.

The idea of doing it that way might appeal to some crawlers more than the current configuration. I will have to make sure there is an option make known. Thanks for the Idea...

Does anyone thing there is a need for a two channel version that changes modes by stopping and holding the wheel left or right while in neutral? It would be a simple, but slightly cumbersome way to use two channels to do the job of three. Any thoughts???