Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Bowser the WK!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Bowser the WK!

Well...I never did a build thread, so here it is.

A big thanks to STEW<CO> for the above pics.

The Specs!
Axles:
Front RCP knuckles, C's and CVD's
VF servo mount
VF upper link mounts
TCS lower link mounts
Rear RC4WD straight axles and adapters. The straight axle adapters are a bit thinner than the stock C's, so the screws hit the axleshaft if you don't trim them down some.
JB Lockers

Suspension:
Duratrax Evader ST rear shocks all around
Yellow Losi springs in the front
Yellow Duratrax springs in the rear
60 weight oil in right rear shock, 40 everywhere else
Homemade links with Jato rod ends
Bender Customs SW3 chassis with full length skid

Drivetrain:
AX-10 Transmission
12/87 gearing
Pede Shafts with steel yokes
Currently dig-less

Electronics:
Mamba Max
JP Custom RC's 35t Warrior
CC BEC
JR DS8711
Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz
Elite 4000mah S/C 6-cell brick packs (I have a grip of 2/3a cells on the way, I'm going to give it a try. I may stick with the big ones, I like 3+ hour run times)
Dean's throughout.

Rolling Stock:
VF Stalker Wheels. These things are some of the nicest wheels I've ever seen. They've held every bead I've ever put to them, and they put the track width right at 10 1/8th inch with the claws. I'd advise them to anyone.
Losi Rock Claws
I just got some Rubicons and memory foams in the mail today. I'm skeptical, but if the rubicons work decently and clean out any better than the losis, I'll run them when it's wet.

Here are some of the things I've had to do to make this work well together.

Topside body posts for the SW3: I've found that Team Associated TC3 rear body posts fit like a glove! P/N 8874. They even come with screws, washers and body pins.

Pede shafts to 6mm WK pinion shafts:
What I did to make this work was to drill out the steel pede yoke to 6mm and then tapped one of the set screw holes to M4x0.7, and used the stock WK driveshaft retainer screws. If you want to do this but don't have the screws, they can be had here The HPI hardened steel ring and pinion set has a 5mm input shaft which is cross drilled, I suspect the RCP units are similar. I've not broken them yet, so I'm sticking with stock.

VF servo mount+TCS link mounts with good steering angle
To get the TCS link mounts to fit under the VF servo mount, some trimming is required.

The CVD's from RCP offer a huge improvement in steering angle, especially when used in conjunction with their knuckles and c's. Sadly, the VF servo mount hinders this, and needs to be trimmed.
before:

After:

All of this allows a pretty respectable steering angle, if you bend the tie rod. A straight one hits the diff.

All in all this rig has been working beautifully. Tuning is, of course, an ongoing process, but it's started really coming together lately.

It's not won any comps but I'm having great fun with it anyways.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 02-28-2008 at 10:39 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks great and now I really need to finish my WK crawler!!!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice rig! How do you find the Worrior motor? Thinking of getting one...
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon170 View Post
I would like to know too. Guess I should do a search.....

Last edited by 4xFord; 02-05-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: not sarcastic, I am seriouly going to search!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon170 View Post
I have to admit that I haven't used many other motors, but it is definitely a lot more powerful than the integy motor it replaced. I also like that it gives the truck a good amount of wheel speed even with relatively low gearing and only 6 cells. The drag brake seems a bit stronger than with the integy, but without being overpowering. On the whole I'm pretty happy with it and have no plans to replace it.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice lookin rig! I had to do the same thing as you, bend the front tie rod to prevent it from hitting the axle casing.

I like the vertical mounted body posts vs the side mounted posts that im currently using. Bolink posts are what was recommended to me.

Post some up topless pics of the rest of your rig. Lets see what your electronics setup looks like.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
Post some up topless pics of the rest of your rig. Lets see what your electronics setup looks like.
OK, OK, here are more pics.

And just for fun, here's a cutaway poser shot

And because too many poser shots is a bad thing, some action shots:
At Vasquez Rocks, in California Christmas Eve

At Red Rocks, with xGerstandtx's truck in November.

At Flatirons, near Boulder last month
Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

very cool rig. those sw3's sure do make good comp rigs.
juststartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default Upgrades!

So, I can't leave anything alone

New Delrin lower links!

They're 3/8" black delrin rod, drilled and tapped on the ends for 8/32, with revo rod ends. I had been using Jato rod ends, but I figured I'd give the revo's a chance. The delrin does seem to slide over the rocks a bit better than the aluminum ones, but the difference is not huge.

I finally got the (soft) Rubicons and Memory makers out on the rocks, and here is my opinion. The memory makers are too stiff for the front, but seem dead on for the rear. I just measured the foams, they are actually 5 1/8" by 2 1/4". I plan to cut down the height and U-channel the fronts, and leave the rears alone, see what happens. I may also try other memory foams at some point, but right now I don't see a clear advantage.
As for the tires, some more work on foam and weight set up is definitely in order, but they seem promising. At this point, I can say that my claws worked better (when dry) in almost every setting, but they took a lot of setup work too. What I did notice was the rubicons were not really bothered by wet and mud and cleaned out pretty well, as compared to the claws which are useless when wet and don't clean out at all. I was not impressed too with the sidehilling, but I'm not ready to give up on them yet. On the whole, I'd say they're promising, but I need to dial them in before I can say for sure.

One of my crawl buddies got a set of 2.2 Badlands! I only used them for a little bit, but I can say they are a lot more promising than the rubicons, and they clean out well. I must admit I was skeptical about the M2 compound, but they do work really well. Sidehilling is very good.

Note: Yes, the rear axle shafts are bent. I think it's time to test out RC4WD's customer service...

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 02-10-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Nope..

So you strap the battery to that jeep grille servo mount looking contraption right? That seems very high on the axle.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
So you strap the battery to that jeep grille servo mount looking contraption right? That seems very high on the axle.
Yep. It really doesn't make the battery sit any higher than the axial made front axle servo/battery plate, though I admit it could be lower. On the whole, the truck isn't excessively tippy, and works well, so I'm happy. Also, the plate is designed to work with 2/3A cell bricks, which aren't that heavy. I'm just now gearing up to run 12 cells so we'll see how that works out, probably 6 on the servo mount and 6 on top of the links on the front.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Nope..

Oh, that's not bad then.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

thats good to here that u like the motor i got one in the mail it should b here soon i cant wait .... nice build
rockwood330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Default More updates

I finally decided to go LiPo. I picked up a 3c 2100 pack, and crap, this thing is a rocket sled! Still the 35t warrior, still geared 12/87, and this thing pulls full fledged wheelies even with all the weight over the front axle, if it can find the traction (I've only had it around the house) I just love this motor more and more.

I've never been happy with the way my electronics were mounted, but I think I have finally found something that works. I picked up a sheet of .030 clear styrene from my LHS and, using my lighter, bent it to make electronics and battery trays. Firstly, for the battery tray, over the front links. I bent a coat hanger up to make a little tray that attaches to the frame, but still moves and allows the links to move and keeps the battery centered. I then cut a sheet out to the correct dimensions and bent one end around the coat hanger and bent the other end up to keep the batt located front to rear. For the ESC, I bent a sheet around the cross braces on the rear of the chassis, making a nice little tray. I also mounted the receiver over the rear links on a fairly loose fitting tray wrapped around the rear upper links. I gotta say, as easy and cheap as this was, I'm surprised I don't see more people doing it this way. Seriously, the hardest part was getting to the LHS, which is on the way home from work. Now I just need to find some velcro straps.

Pics will be forthcoming.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Hey man, thanks for posting up the topless pics. It's been a little bit since I have been on this site, so im doing a little bit of catching up.

Im still pondering a AX10 trans swap for my pede trans that I have in my now. I'm also considering dumpin the Integy 55T for something a bit better (holmes hobbies revolver or possibly just a Novak 55).

I have to get around to working on mine again.. lol.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Updates

I finally got a chance to get the rig out a few times with the new 3c lipo, and I'm sold. The lighter weight, placed lower in the chassis makes a bigger difference than I thought it would, it seems that slight changes in cog make really big differences in the performance. The particular battery I got was a Nexxus 3c 2100, which was admittedly the cheapo battery that the LHS had, however I've just peaked one at 2440 mah, so they can't be all that bad. I'm totally sold on the higher voltage also, this thing is a quick little truck, without any loss in low speed control that I can see.

I also cut up my front memory makers. They seemed way too stiff to me, so I shortened them to about 4 3/4" tall and am much happier with the performance. Next weekend I'll try them with my claws and see about that.

I swear, dig will be my next thing on this truck, I've just been so busy working on the body for my scaler, and work, and every other damn thing. I bought a 3 channel radio specifically with dig in mind in december, and still haven't done it. Oh well, soon enough.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig. How are those rubicons? Do you like them? I was thinking about getting a set.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LST022752 View Post
Nice rig. How are those rubicons? Do you like them? I was thinking about getting a set.
The rubicons are reallly good...for an Imex tire. I kept hearing that they sidehill better than the losi Claws, but I don't see it. They definitely clean out better than the claws, and their performance is less affected by being wet than the claws. On the whole, I'd say they're better than M2 moabs, but they're not as good as the claws. Your millage may vary...

Thanks for all the compliments.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

you and I have almost identical setups!
only difference is I am running a fatdog tuber and 2c lipo.

I am just about to upgrade to the cvd's, knuckles and c's

I placed my battery on top of my front links and love it there.

I do think my servo mount will be an issue when I get more steering throw though.
I am running one I built off of harleys template.

I will be honest. ever since I went to this setup I have been placing extremely well in comps now compared to my old setup.

Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
RCC Addict

looks like you have servo/mount and wheels in common... other than that i guess it would be identical. ha
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote