Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Another recruit to the Blackjack Army

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Another recruit to the Blackjack Army

I just finished up the latest rebuild of my crawler. After hacking my stock AX10 chassis to the point there is nothing left to hack, I decided it was time for a new chassis. I was going to make my own, but I came across a great deal on a new Blackjack in the classifieds, so I jumped on it.

The new specs...

Blackjack Chassis
Axial axles
CKRC Heavy Duty Lockers
R2 disconnect
Crawlmaster
Quark 33
Castle BEC
Traxxas driveline
Traxxas #3760 shocks
Losi Rock Claws with Kreepy Krawler foams
JR XR3i
7-cell split pack from cheapbatterypacks.com
I also have a set of Teflon bushings for the R2 from Rocksmith that I need to install

It is a belly dragger at 2.25", I may have to raise it a little, I need to do some testing first. The top of the chassis sits below the top of the tires which I love. This thing is insanely stabile since the COG is so low.

I originally wanted to run a puller, so I mounted the transmission up quite a ways to make room. After looking at the chassis for a few days, I decided I wanted to run a compact brushless setup and order up a Crawlmaster and a Quark 33.

All wired up and ready to go:

The wheel speed is not very impressive with the stock 8t pinion that came with the R2, but the low speed control is amazing! The Quark is such a smooth controller. I put in a 10t pinion and the wheel speed improved dramatically, but I lost some of that low speed control. It is a temporary solution, I will be volting up as soon as the budget allows, I’m thinking of stepping up from 7 cells to 9 or 10 (and then go back down to the 8t pinion), should definitely help get my wheel speed up.

I will be making a trip to the hobby shop on Friday to try to find a body that will fit it, I want to find something that I can slam down as far as I can on the chassis, so I will post some pics when I find one.
hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That is a nice loking BJ. I like the covering on the wires, it makes it really clean looking. Do you have any shots of your R2D shift linkage, I just like to see how everyone does their linkage differently. I guess you can see it in the top pic. How doe it work, do you get any binding.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

awesome, i love your wiring, where did you get that stuff?
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm interested to hear how this works for you. I've been curious about having a low truck like that and have been conflicted about how it would work in Washington.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
awesome, i love your wiring, where did you get that stuff?
Thanks. I picked it up at Fry's. They have it on their website also (http://www.outpost.com/), just search for "Expandable Sleeving". I used 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" stuff. Just slide it on and use a little heat shrink to hold it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh87 View Post
That is a nice loking BJ. I like the covering on the wires, it makes it really clean looking. Do you have any shots of your R2D shift linkage, I just like to see how everyone does their linkage differently. I guess you can see it in the top pic. How doe it work, do you get any binding.
That top pic is the best on I have of the R2 linkage. It works really well, the mounting point on the servo arm and on the shift rod are pretty level so it shifts with no binding, works perfect every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
I'm interested to hear how this works for you. I've been curious about having a low truck like that and have been conflicted about how it would work in Washington.
Well it is about .5" lower than my last setup, which worked pretty well, it never really hurt me being that low. So I'm hoping being this low won't give me anymore problems.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! I love my BlackJack even though I am running a sprung setup. I have about 3 1/2" under the skid but it works well where I crawl. And for it to be that high up, its still very stable. I have not done much tuning with it yet but I took 2nd at its first comp so it may not need it. :-P
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

looks really good man, i like it alot. im thinking about getting that chassis
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

nice welcome to the bj army! mount the body low! this rig is awsome!!! run either a grappler or a bug body you can slam them
Panchira! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Looks good...Welcome to the blackjack army
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Welcome!

Those sleeves look sooo damn nice.
bi_eep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
ghetto fabulous newbie

Looks pretty good
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well it is about .5" lower than my last setup, which worked pretty well, it never really hurt me being that low. So I'm hoping being this low won't give me anymore problems.
So seeing this last night made me want to go out and try a similar setup, but with the AX10 chassis. Man, I'm a big fan of the droop setups now, mine needs some work but I like how it drives. I was running about the same ride height, it gets hung up on some stuff easier and high centered over some rocks but the difference in what it can do is a pretty good trade off.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas View Post
So seeing this last night made me want to go out and try a similar setup, but with the AX10 chassis. Man, I'm a big fan of the droop setups now, mine needs some work but I like how it drives. I was running about the same ride height, it gets hung up on some stuff easier and high centered over some rocks but the difference in what it can do is a pretty good trade off.
If you do want to go droop with the AX10 chassis, the Integy MSR-10 shocks were REALLY well for that. That is what I was previously running, it comes with 2 different length rod ends, I was using the longer ones and it was the perfect ride height.

Here is how it use to sit with that setup:

Last edited by hlb3; 03-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Not to hijack your thread or anything .. but what weight of oil were you using? I tried the Integy shocks, with 3 hole piston front, 2 hole rear, 1000wt rear, 900wt front...worked pretty decent. I was thinking of using the longer rod ends, but did not feel like taking the shocks back off when I had the idea...I just wanted to try it, I liked it overall.

But a new chassis is sounding way cooler...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I was using 100wt with the 1 hole piston in the front, 80wt with 1 hole in the rear. It worked well, but it could be a little floppy at times, it needed thicker oil, but I was too lazy to change it. :-P
Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Got my new body on, an HPI Silverado. Did my first attempt at a fancy paint job, put a couple stripes up the body, turned out looking pretty good, there are a few crappy spots, but it was much better than I expected.

Now for some pics:

Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Looks good. now get back in line private
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looks great. I am doing a rebuild on mine.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Took it to it's first comp today with a total of 20 minutes of drive time on it, came home with 3rd place, highest I have ever placed. Had a little breakage so I had to take a penalty to fix it, had I not got that penalty I would have been in 1st. :-( I can say 100% without a doubt that I would have been no where near the top of the pack with my old setup.

Had a little difficulty with my front axle, the ears of the inner C's and the link mounts kind of ripped off. :-P

I was able to borrow a knuckle and zip tie the links to the axle and finish the course though.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

damn thats some breakage!! glad youre liking it!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote