Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project "Clampy" 1.9" Scale Yota Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Project "Clampy" 1.9" Scale Yota Build

Here was the original Concept/Idea... To build a functional and cool looking 1.9" Yota Truggy. I was planning on using a K2-5 Chassis with front and rear 4 links....

THEN, My Imagination started getting the better of me... ( I HATE it when it does that..!! )

Being a LONG Time reader, and subscriber of Petersons 4-Wheel & Off-road magazine, I started thinking about a sick little project they had built... "Project Clampy" which one of the guys that works at the mag ( Fred Williams) bought from a farmer pretty much a stocker, and they built it up into a capable, and sick looking trail machine..!

Anyhow, after studying and reading up on "Clampy", I decided that THIS was the next SCALE Project I wanted to build..!!!

I also had this MINT Original Bruiser cab that I'd been saving for that "Perfect" project, and Figured that this should be it, so on the chopping block it went..!! First thing was to open the fender wells by 1/4"

Then build a super realistic rear firewall...

Next step was to ditch the K2-5 for an Original Hilux aluminum frame I'd been saving as well.. The front TLT axle has Leafs, just waiting for hardware to do the rear...

The next step was the removal of the doors (that part scared me a little, but I took my time, and they came out sweet..)

Still have more holes to fill, but so far so good.., This trucks gettin the FULL interior treatment, as well as a few more surprises to come later..!!

So heres where we stand as of right now.....MUCH more to come VERY soon..!!!!!

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 08-14-2008 at 06:07 PM.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Sinking with the ship

SICK! The back of the cab came out AWESOME! The front fenders also look sweet like that. Ill be watching this for sure

What did you use to cut the doors out? I used an exacto knife on the one I have, took for ever
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks Amazing Can't wait to see more
RC_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

very cool, i've always been a fan of Clampy too. i've been lucky enough to wheel with Fred and see that thing in action, and it gets it done for sure. can't wait to see how this build turns out.

please tell me you're going to go spring under in the rear... any chance on running wider axles under it? maybe Axials?
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That looks awesome man! I remember when they bought that POS....and I havent got that rag in quite some time. It looks good now!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It looks awesome so far! Oh, and I hate you.
onlyinajeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yes very cool indeed. Clampy is one bad @ss rig! Looking pretty good so far. Can't wait till you start on the tube work.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

WOW! Looks great so far. I guess some of us have a thing for cutting up expensive bodies! Great work. What did you use to cut it? Very clean. I have an OG Bruiser body and a few new Hilux ones. hmmm I think I will cut up my new Hilux first

Keep it up and I have been wanting to do a truggy for a while now and this just might be the inspirational build that pushes me over the edge to do it.

Thanks

Rock on Clampy!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
rbl
Rock Crawler

going to be a great build, can't wait to see how it turns out
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

great start!
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
What did you use to cut the doors out? I used an exacto knife on the one I have, took for ever
This is just a guess but i think he used the string method. They look so perfect that i dont know what else he could have used. If not, let me know what you used, because that is very clean.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

fantastic job on the back of the cab!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default wooooooooooow!!!!! impresive

I'm gonna really keep my eyes open on this build,we are all going for a ride gentelmen!!
great job so far!!!
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Clampy is one of the few, can count on one finger, magazine rigs that I like. One more vote for spring under rear. Also if you could get some bruiser, or other yota-looking, axles it would fit better. Keeping an eye on this build.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Impressive work on removing the doors and the rear bulkhead.
But those arches are so cleanily done it looks like they popped out of the mould like that

Care to share how you got them so neat?

Neil
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
SICK! The back of the cab came out AWESOME! The front fenders also look sweet like that. Ill be watching this for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
WOW! Looks great so far. I guess some of us have a thing for cutting up expensive bodies! Great work. What did you use to cut it? Very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
This is just a guess but i think he used the string method. They look so perfect that i dont know what else he could have used. If not, let me know what you used, because that is very clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Impressive work on removing the doors and the rear bulkhead.
But those arches are so cleanily done it looks like they popped out of the mould like that

Care to share how you got them so neat?

Neil

Thanks Guys, for all the positive comments,Im glad to hear everyone likes what they see so far..!!!! Its been alot of work,up until this point, and I've barely scratched the surface as far as how involved this ones gonna be..!!!

First off, YES, The rear will have leaf springs.. ( gotta go just like the 1:1 Clampy) I thought about 4 linking it, but it just wouldn't be the same if I did that..!! I might run wider axles (axials), or OG bruiser axles, OR just run spacers for now.. we will see once i get 4 wheels under it first..!!

Second- I tried using the string (thread) method to cut the doors.. ( actually used a test piece of spare styrene first) It worked for a little bit, but the only thread I had to use was old, and it kept breaking, so I got out the old hand held Air grinder, and went to town with a 1 1/2" disk.. The actual door removal process was super quick, but it was the cleaning up of all the extra "melted" plastic that was the pain.. I used about 4 different files and lots of sandpaper, but all in all, it worked perfect. I just had to be SUPER carefull around the bottom of the door because that lower piece was super thin, so I backed it up with more styrene, and sanded very carefully..!! Heres pics of the doors ( which are now scrap) and the door openings before the filing and sanding...

As far as the fenders go, I have an "Old School" craftsman drill press that I put a 2" sanding drum on, and carefully ground down the plastic until i hit the marker line, then out came the sandpaper.. each fender took me about 15 miuntes from start to finish..! Not really all that hard, but just alot of skill, ensuring not to take TOO much material away. I hadn't mentioned it before, but I also trimmed off the lower valence from the stock OG Bruiser grille, and also ground down the lower mounting tabs on the fenders as well, for that "clean" look...wait until you guys see the next FEW steps I'm taking on this project..!!!! Stay Tuned..!!!

Last edited by 51WillysJeep; 08-07-2008 at 07:40 AM.
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

axials or even t-rex 60s would look killer under this thing. bruisers not so much IMO... (the 1:1 is running a 60/70 combo)
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

this is going to be a sick build. being a long time petersons reader i know the 1:1 well an cant wait to see what you have in store for this
haynesn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
axials or even t-rex 60s would look killer under this thing. bruisers not so much IMO... (the 1:1 is running a 60/70 combo)
I agree that the t-rex axles would look right for this rig given the axles the real thing rund, but the diffs on the 4c4wd axles are so huge. Plus I think clampy had a solid yota axle at one point in life, can't remember though.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Excellent start.

Subscribed.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/130383-project-clampy-1-9-scale-yota-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
clampy ,, but only a 1/10 of the size - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:45 AM