Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #261
RCC Addict

I'm slacking again on updates but things have been busy lately

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
I nominate your for scale master (read as scale Yoda)!

I also have a question. One you may have already answered and I missed processing all the awesomeness. But how are you bonding the panels together, or are you bending seams to mate to one another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by that4byguy View Post
simply amazing, great detail. I am guessing you built a scale spot welder to attach the panels.
Thanks! I wish! I use Shoo goo to hold everything together. works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERFELBLOP View Post
This is incredible, very inspiring.

I do have a quick question; do you anneal the metal before shaping or is it already soft enough?
I did originally when i was recycling old cooking sheets but the stuff i get now is already soft enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towjockeyrc10 View Post
beautiful work masher, saw how you were mounting the cab to the frame, just an observation, maybe put something rubber and soft between the cab and frame like an o-ring or something, if your frame has any twist to it it may rip the body apart. that is why they do it on a 1:1. it is not just for noise reduction it gives it flex, anyway not bashing just saying. you are building something i would never have the patience for fn great work. just saying cause i would like to see how long you can make it last.
Right now i have plastic spacers and i think they will work fine. the chassis is completely rigid and doesn't flex at all so soft rubber spacers would only allow the nuts to come loose. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general lee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
that is a must for this build i think to bad it is $256

also respond to my pm dam it good job on this build the latex mold looks alot better
Yah, I've been looking at them since they came out but those things are crazy expensive. I'm planning on something with half as many cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecleanjetta View Post
soooooooo this is amazing

when will these be available for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedenko View Post
Nice ride. I've seen a few of the aluminum bodies on the bay, but I think you may have inspired me to try my own. Gracias!
Those are not mine although he got the idea from me. I say go ahead and make you're own. it's fun and then you can make as many as you want!

Here is some more progress.

I ran out of material to do the firewall so i decided to start on the inner doors.

I pondered the best way to carve out the inner door skins when I came up with yet another mold making method. I started by making a negative of the inside of the outer skin

Then to make it easy to carve the edge details i filled it with clay then to make sure it was flat, and to get the details behind the door panel, i topped it with styrene.

Then when i was happy with the look i cast it in silicone then made a resin copy

Then i formed it in aluminum and attached it to the outer skin just like the real thing by folding the edges over.

I even have a place for the window;)

and of course it wouldn't be complete without the window frame. I just folded some metal a couple times

and shaped it with a form

Then, just to make everyone cringe, I did some destructive testing on the door to see how the seams held up

Held up real well to simulated normal trail damage. Then i went that extra step to see just what it took to split the seam

Not bad for a seam without glue!

That's all for now but there it more to come!
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #262
RCC Addict

Masher, I was skeptical on how deep your detail was going to go with build. I know what it takes to build a 1:1 body and how many molds it will take to pull this off. I am truely impressed and amazed at your dedication and skil this project takes..

I strongly feel you could get a fat shiny "Penny" for one of these body's!! Maybe somewhere in the $2000 range Then add the chassis. In fact yuo have a problem now.. Your chassis will have to be stepped up to this level.

You sir, are a Scale God!!
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #263
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Masher, I was skeptical on how deep your detail was going to go with build. I know what it takes to build a 1:1 body and how many molds it will take to pull this off. I am truely impressed and amazed at your dedication and skil this project takes..

I strongly feel you could get a fat shiny "Penny" for one of these body's!! Maybe somewhere in the $2000 range Then add the chassis. In fact yuo have a problem now.. Your chassis will have to be stepped up to this level.

My attitude has always been, it's not worth doing if you don't do it right. I've been obsessed with making an exact replica of a real vehicle for as long as i can remember so skimping on any detail is out of the question.

One can say the body could be valued at that much but no one will pay that. I'd be very surprised if someone would pay $500 for a complete body.

I did mention before that i have plans already for a scale accurate chassis. and it will be metal!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #264
I wanna be Dave

You got some kickass detail going on there. Can't wait to see how it crunches up on the trail
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #265
Rock Crawler

0_0 awsomeness x10!
big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #266
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post

Couldnt have said it any better my self. I do find my self wondering that with all this detail will the steering wheel turn with the truck? Will the wipers work too? Also if you dont mind imma bout to go nuts seein one part here and there, is there any way to do a "mock up" Pic?

Sorry kindof at a loss of words after reading all the pages.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #267
Rock Stacker

Holly Crap you are god !!!
82-Toyota-SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #268
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
Couldnt have said it any better my self. I do find my self wondering that with all this detail will the steering wheel turn with the truck? Will the wipers work too? Also if you dont mind imma bout to go nuts seein one part here and there, is there any way to do a "mock up" Pic?

Sorry kindof at a loss of words after reading all the pages.
I do have plans to do all that stuff eventually, I even figured out a way to have wind up windows but that will come later. Right now i'm just trying to get the body done!

I did a mock up pick already go to post 187 on this page: Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #269

should go all the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA
willinthe985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #270
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willinthe985 View Post
I wish i could! I don't have the money or the tools to build something with an actual running 4 cyl motor in it although i really want to. maybe sometime down the road.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #271
Quarry Creeper

My mistake I must have missed that.

Still incredible work now matterwhat.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #272

this is the most incredible build i have ever seen. any updates?
oldskoolmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #273

Man that is a sweet truck.are you going to be selling them
crawler-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #274
Quarry Creeper

mmm must have more true scale
cooterwrenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #275
Quarry Creeper

Alright, you had a long enough vacation.... Back to work
CRAWLERCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #276
Rock Stacker

Scale power windows would be cool! Roll ups would be too easy. Maybe with the RC4WD remote winch control? Very sick, indeed! Can't wait to see this one finished. Or will there one day be an end?
CRAZYRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #277
www.team3sixrc.com

Its really something what you do to recreate the true look of an actual vehicle.
Sad to say i complete forgot about this until someone posted on it. But have you thought about actually making all these molds for the body parts once they are done. I ask because as what has probably been asked by you before is the possibility of forming lexan parts based off your molds that could just be glued together or better yet, a true plastic mold that can be assembled like the real thing. I see the point of loosing the look of it as compared to the real 1:1 of it, but it would keep your idea going for a long time into the future and make it more possible for someone to build.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #278
Quarry Creeper

Monogram made a Jaguar model 1:6 scale with roll up windows.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #279
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
My mistake I must have missed that.

Still incredible work now matterwhat.
No problem, Nobody's perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler-king View Post
Man that is a sweet truck.are you going to be selling them
Maybe. I don't want to say yes or no yet. it depends on if i can all the logistics worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolmini View Post
this is the most incredible build i have ever seen. any updates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooterwrenchen View Post
mmm must have more true scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERCRAZY View Post
Alright, you had a long enough vacation.... Back to work
LOL! Sorry guys for the lack of updates. I've been trying to get Leo's jeep done but don't worry, there will be more progress very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYRT View Post
Scale power windows would be cool! Roll ups would be too easy. Maybe with the RC4WD remote winch control? Very sick, indeed! Can't wait to see this one finished. Or will there one day be an end?
Electric windows, hmmm...... Wait, I gotta get a complete truck first before i even think about that. An end? you got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Its really something what you do to recreate the true look of an actual vehicle.
Sad to say i complete forgot about this until someone posted on it. But have you thought about actually making all these molds for the body parts once they are done. I ask because as what has probably been asked by you before is the possibility of forming lexan parts based off your molds that could just be glued together or better yet, a true plastic mold that can be assembled like the real thing. I see the point of loosing the look of it as compared to the real 1:1 of it, but it would keep your idea going for a long time into the future and make it more possible for someone to build.
It has been mentioned before, though I can't recall where. I have every mold needed to make this body and using resin i could re-create all the parts. Then you would have a truly realistic hard plastic body. But the cost involved in producing the parts would probably make it way out of the price range someone would be willing to pay, Not to mention it would be one heavy F-er!. I have been thinking about it though so it's not entirely out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstone View Post
Monogram made a Jaguar model 1:6 scale with roll up windows.
Do you have any more details on this?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #280
Quarry Creeper

I have a GMP 1:18 Plymouth GTX diecast car with rol up windows. So it would definitely fit in a 1:10
VanDongen is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/147988-project-true-scale-aluminum-toyota-body.html
Posted By For Type Date
Кузова,все о них и для них - Страница 5 This thread Refback 10-05-2011 08:25 PM
Wow, Amazing Scale RC Toyota - Tacoma World Forums This thread Refback 10-04-2011 06:14 PM