Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 hummer h1 clod exo cage scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 1/6 hummer h1 clod exo cage scaler

This H1 hummer body just picked up at the swap meet for 10.00 that was a rc nikko street hummer now the star of my clod based hummer that hope to take to completion over the next month or so. t's my first sart to finish scale project to date. Here in san deigo there is not a comp class for supers since there just isn't enough inerest so I'm going scale with it.
Plans are ti build a channel frame out of 1/2 or 5/8 box and cutting down the middle then building off that with 1/4 tubing for the rest. I will be using savage shocks with 3/8 or larger links with the big traxxas ends. I built a 1to 1 hummer in the past that I will post some pics of soon that doesn't have a exo cage but has no top (except for soft top) and has a huge 2" rollcage that will be the base idea of my exo cage. The nikko body even has working light built in already which was a bonus. It will end up with a removable roof rack and light rack aswell.I think after looking at the body ion my super chassis that is 17 inches long that it will need to be longer by 1/2 inch or so.
Just got started today in the tear down and start the mock up and design.I will post as I go and get the pics of the 1o1 rig soon. Can't wait to get sarted and will be geting tubing and the box for the frame soon. Hope you like it and all the input to help me out is always helpful. Thanx for looking.
Attached Images

62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

very cool man, cant wait to see some more
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

is it fun owning a mini, a 2.2, and a super???? i have a mini but kinda want another one but they are so frieken expensive. And the only way to get a good one is a kit and i dont know if i would be good at building a kit.
KrazyKrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

that looks friggen AWSOME! are you planning on painting it a diff color??
jms222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I not a huge fan of hummer's but in this case, that looks good on the clod. Good find!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default progress

Yes I will be painting different color and will either be cammo desert storm type or flat black. I will be getting rid of the chrome aswell no bling except for wheels. Hoping to get frame material ( 1/2 inch ,o49 wall box tubing soon so I can get started but might attack the body in the mean time. I also have to get by my freinds shop to take pics of the 1to1 h1 I did so you can see what the exo will look like. and let me tell ya it's a huge cage with tons of x's in it. Can't wait to get started and I think once the ball is rolling it won't stop.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #7

nice set of classes u got there
barnes10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default thanx

Thanks man my son just got the mrc from a freind so he can comp and my blazer is always a work in progress.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default pics of 1to1

So I got the pics of the 1to1 h1 I did so you have an idea of were this one is going the only difference is it's going to be exo cage. I also think I might make the rear section removable so that I can have a slanted rear section like the 1to1 for when the h1 is truck style then pull off the rear section ad the wagon section to the body and have a different exo section for that so I can have both. I will be building a light rack like it aswell and in the last pic shows a ram style servo that adjusts tilt on the light rack which is very helpful not to blind people in the desert since you can tilt the lights up to the sky when you pass people and it is ran from buttons on the steering wheel. The 1to1 also needed the lights to tilt way down so it could go in a normal garage door. I was thinking of doing the same thing but use a servo to move the lights but same style linkage so I can hide the servo in the body.I also got the 1/2 inch .049 wall for the frame so I can get started. I will also be building a trailer to tow behind it for all my other crawlers and I'm going to use the old h1 spinner wheels for it. My son that is 8 is taking on that project so we'll see how he does. I will post up pics as that gets started aswell.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default progress

I got allittle done on it and have a main frame done now.I was going to bend the frame which is 1/2 inch box steel and cur down center to make two c channel frame rails but thought decided not to since it would need some real drastic bends in it. I used the 1/2 box for 2 frame rails then bent up the drop down out of 1/4 inch solid. Now I'm doing the links and getting it to a roller with shocks. The links are 3/8 alum drilled and tapped for 8/32 and revo rod ends. I'm using savage shocks that provide a ton of travel even in staight up mounting position. I will have roller pics in the next couple days and should have it driving but will start on the rock sliders and bumpers so the exo cage can be next. My son that is 8 has been working on the trailor for it too that will haul the other crawlers around. ( he's done the measuring,marking, cutting, grinding but I've done the welding)I will also get those pics up soon aswell. Well back to the garage for clean up.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
I used the 1/2 box for 2 frame rails then bent up the drop down out of 1/4 inch solid.
shes gonna be a heavy pig!!cant wait to see it though .... the motorized lights on the 1:1 are cool!
flybynighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default chassis roller

Well got some done and it's now a roller and almost ready to run. This weekend I will get it running this weekend just need to mount the steering. I have a over 300 oz torque 1/4 scale servo and since I can't afford a high dollar high torque in regular size I will make it work. I don't have room for it on the axle so I'm mounting it on the frame with linkage going to a pivot in the front to run the steering like a wheely king. Should work good and look clean without the sevo being seen. The chaasis is set up as a drooper and would like suggestions on shock oil. Next will be the rock sliders,front and rear bumpers then exo cage. (can't wait for that) Hope you guys like it. (one link is smaller 1/4 inch since I ran out of the 3/8 that I have now and will be replaced right away)
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Lookin great, nice job on the chassis
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #14

holy thats awsome man i like the light rack on the 1:1
joe245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default keep going

Can't wait to get the exo going and work on the light rack on this one. I have a 3rd channel just waiting for the tilting light rack and it should work like the 1to1. Got it driving yesterday and now just need to figure out a good shock oil and small spring for the drooper set up. I think for now I'm just going to do the oil and wait til the end with all the weight on it before I go further with the tuning. Should have time tonight to get the rock sliders going and bumpers.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default rock sliders

Well the rock sliders are done now the bumpers and figure out how to hook the exo cage to f/r bumper and rock slider and have it removable. Pics will get posted soon.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default updates

I just did some of the exocage for the hummer and now just need to add the smaller size x braces and light rack. I have enough weight on it now so I added the prings back to the savage shocks instead of being a complete drooper now it has a little spring and after the rest of the metal work should sit a little lower than in the pics. took it out crawling and it worked great but even with the weight have now it clod stalls more than like so might change the gearing some but besides that for being as big as it is it worked great in the rocks so I'm very happy.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #18

Default H1

GREAT WORK...
i have a body just like that,and i am planning to do a scale truck too...instead of clod axles im thinking of using an 1/8tt complete transmission set,if it does exists in the measures requirerd,trying to be like your 1/1,independent suspension...
as soon as possible iŽl put on some pictures...
jpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #19

I'm not a big fan of Hummer at all!!! I like Jeep more!! but that is a cool body!!!
RCrockcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/151393-1-6-hummer-h1-clod-exo-cage-scaler.html
Posted By For Type Date
huge 1/6 hummer scaler crawler exo cage cheap - R/C Tech Forums This thread Refback 10-06-2011 01:25 AM