Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Badger's Baja of Death

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Badger's Baja of Death

Some of you know that my company got its start making parts for the 1/5 scale Baja 5b, so since that's my gig, Badger asked me to help him out with his Baja, so not knowing quite what I was getting into, I said, give me that thing, I'll hook you up. So after a recent comp, we were dropping Badger off, and he pulled the Baja down, and I took it with.

I have not had a whole lot of time till lately, and since a Baja race is coming up, I figured I had better get my ass in gear, and get this thing finished, as I started to tear into it, I sort of commented to myself, hoooooleeey sheeeeeit, I really have my work cut out .

I have now owned about 12 large scale rigs, 8 of which are Bajas, and this thing is , well, in very poor shape.... to say the least.

But I am a man of my word, and the tear down / rebuild begins. The plan for Badger's Baja is to give it a little bling, but mostly function and reliability since he is going to be racing with us at our local "Autocross" series, and a few offroad races up in Lakeport, CA.

You all know what a stock Baja looks like-

So I didn't think to take a pic of Badger's when I started, but here is the chassis after removal of pretty much everything. The "dirt" is actually crusted on (and if I didn't know better, I would say it was also baked on), I had to soak it in hot soapy water just so it could be scrubbed off. Anyplace that is not brown (dirt) SHOULD be purple, how that much anodizing got worn away on the INSIDE of the chassis is beyond me -

So I tore the chassis all the way down, bead blasted all the purple off, and sent it out to the anodizer for some hard black plating on the chassis, and of course green, here it all is stripped, everything should be back from the plater tomorrow or Monday-

With the chassis torn down and all the peripherals off and awaiting their tear down, it was time to start amassing the new parts that are going to be needed.

Turtle Racing makes some stuff that I consider just mandatory for any Baja. Front and rear shock tower / braces, front chassis brace, rear chassis brace and reinforced rear brake-

Also needed, Hitec 5745 1/4 scale steering servo, outerwear cover for the air filter, some new larger diameter fuel tubing, sway bars, lots of Team Fast Eddy bearings, new large diameter "SS" shock shafts-

Badger fortunately had lots of stock HPI parts which are going to be needed like new bulkheads, a-arms, hubs, and a few other bits, as well some of my own DS super duty "MeatyBones" dogbones, and some skull & crossbone wheel nuts. -

Here is a size comparison for you guys so you can see an Axial drive axle compared to the DS dogbones -

MMmmmmmm, beefy

Much more to come......................
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
20K Club

I love these things.

Some day.......some day I will own one!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
I have now owned about 12 large scale rigs, 8 of which are Bajas, and this thing is , well, in very poor shape.... to say the least.
Did Badger tell you I once owned that? I'm not hard on things at all, in fact it was in very pristine condition when I sent it to him.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you are looking for one I have an SS that I am probably gonna sell. I have three sitting here. MAn I love the DS builds. They are some of the best that come out of the Large scale world.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ted I was going to say, I hope you get Johns(badgers) Ass up here to run at Thunder Valley! Badger me and you Baja e Baja

Get a good look at this, cause your gonna see it alot

RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

RPP how you like the RC4wd tires? I need to get back up there and run with everyone. I was at the first Autocross and haven't been back yet. I even have my Baja set up for onroad. I will see alot of that sight from where I run.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Did Badger tell you I once owned that? I'm not hard on things at all, in fact it was in very pristine condition when I sent it to him.
Uhhhh, ya, I have heard different
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
If you are looking for one I have an SS that I am probably gonna sell. I have three sitting here. MAn I love the DS builds. They are some of the best that come out of the Large scale world.
Thanks man, here is a pic of my Insane Sand Car build, probably the most intensive build I have done, check the uber trick long travel trailing arm suspension-

Badgers won't quite be that insane , but it will be nice.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Got a picture of that at full droop?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Baja's are soo last summer. I'm into drifting now.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
Ted I was going to say, I hope you get Johns(badgers) Ass up here to run at Thunder Valley! Badger me and you Baja e Baja

Get a good look at this, cause your gonna see it alot

If I see that in front of me, this is what I'm going to see next as I'm passing you.

badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

John, bring this with you on your next trip.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

More work done........... yeeeesh , pulled the transmission out, here is whats left of the gearbox, notice the amount of dirt and debris that is inside the gear box. Now also know, its not dirt that can just be brushed out, I actually can't really identify what all that crud is, but never the less, it was not worth trying to clean, parts of the case were melted, and the "stuff" was almost impossible to remove, so I just moved the gear box case right into the garbage can and ordered a new one-

So after that was removed, out came the diff, never seen anything like this before, notice the big bearing on the left is shattered, and was totally seized, both cups had chips in them and deep grooves, look at the huge chip on the left drive cup, don't even know how that's possible -

So with the bulk of it torn down, I started in on the rebuild, here is the new diff-

Now with the new diff resurrected, need to beef up both the inner and outer drive cups, so grabbed a few reinforcement rings, my handy dandy TIG and went at it-

The final product ready for re-assembly-

With some brand new tranny cases, and some TFE diff grease, it all went back together nice and smoove-

And voila, ready to go back in, as bulletproof as can be-

To give you guys how big these suckers are, here is a pick of Baja diff, a quarter and the diff out of an 1/8 scale Xray XB8-

After the gearbox, not a whole lot to do until the chassis and all the aluminum gets back from the plater (hopefully today), so really just had the radio box to contend with, not a whole lot there, but the stock steering servos (and throttle servo for that matter) have a very short life span, and fail quickly in a race application, so out with the old, and in with the new Hitec 5745mg -

These are a bit smaller than the stock servo so there is a small adapter that needs to be fitten to the side of the radio box servo location to fit, all installed, using a Spektrum Rx, and the 5 cell Rx pack is charged and ready to go back in-

The bulk of the engine is done, although the billet heat sink is back off and at the platers for some green anodizing.

The engine is a 26cc CY marine cylinder with the DarkSoul heat sink. This combination makes about 4hp with the exhaust that will be used (stock is about 3hp) so its a pretty decent increase in HP, but its all a very usable power, great for racing.

So until the parts are back from anodizing, I am at a standstill, hopefully all will be back today.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

nice! the CY marine motors make pretty decent power.

non crawler RCs?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
20K Club

I am not sure what to think of that gear box WTF did Jason do!?!?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Cant wait to get mine going again winter and the cold suck they just sit there looking pretty any parts from Ted are good i spent way to much money on the bajas
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
I drove it a couple times too, wasn't very nice to it at all!!
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
R.I.P. Chip

Damn I can't believe how Badger treated that thing.

Did you use the same motor that was in it or is that a whole new motor?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Damn I can't believe how Badger treated that thing.

Quote:
Did you use the same motor that was in it or is that a whole new motor?
It's basically a whole new motor, the 30.5 engine (engine that was in it) IMO are garbage even brand new, and that one was pretty nuked anyways. The motor that is going in is a 26cc and makes actually more HP with a smaller displacment plus it keeps up some pretty decent RPM, the 30.5 will hit its ceiling at about 13-14k, the 26cc will spin to at least 16, and well tuned and broken in can potentially hit 18k.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

That is gonna be one built Baja. I have pretty much that same motor and it rips over the stocker. I need to rebuild mine with the new bottom end. I will have to save up for the DS case and 1mm stroker to throw in. What exhaust is going on it? I have the JPV4 and when you get on it it flys.