Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: A Couple notes about the Comp Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default A Couple notes about the Comp Crawler

Hi All,
I'm not sure when the new section will be started for the Comp Crawler, but I wanted to pass a couple notes on. I'll be gone most of the weekend for my oldest daughters Softball Tourney, so I doubt I'll have much internet access.

1. It appears that some of the Comp Crawler got through without loctite on the setscrews. Please check yours just to be safe. I assure you that I'll look into it and for those that did not I personally apologize for the problem.

2. When you attach the steering link to the aluminum servo arm, I suggest using some loctite on the button head screw. It should be ok, but doesn't hurt to add.

3. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me or email me at rtrujillo@losi.com Just keep in mind that I will not be able to be around this weekend as much as I would like.

4. As I've mentioned before, we try to think of everything and catch every potential problem, but we can only do so much, so again, feel free to contact me if you run into one.

5. With Worm drive the crawler uses a different driving style, so you may want to adjust how you drive from the other models you may have driven in the past. I'll be getting with Jake Wright soon, to shoot a video with driving tips for those that might want them. Trust me when you see some of the stuff that Jake does, you might be saying..."Duh, why didn't I think of that" LOL. Maybe I can get Rubbaneck to shoot a vid for us too?

Finally thanks to all that have waited on this Crawler and to our team guys for their help. I hope that you will be pleased with the Comp Crawler.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to try it on Sunday.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice to hear your support Rich! My friend and I got 1 rolling 1/2 hr ago- Smooth operator- No prob w/ setscrews yet , but I warned him. Didn't find ANY lube in the Trans though ? what do you recommend?, other than weighting the rims, it looked VERY promising already. Thx
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah def no loc-tite as my CVD pin fell out before it even hit the ground.

Also the back shock had leaked a pretty good amount. Enough so to stain the box.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

Got mine today, won't be cracking it open until RCCtv next friday night.

Rich I know with this rig being worm driven that the "Typical" rockcrawler 55turn lathe motor isn't going to cut it, I know there are some reccomendations on the box, but maybe you or one of your team guys could give us some insight as to what motor/battery/esc combos you guys are using and what seems to work best for this particular rig.

The new section will be open soon.

Like I sent rich in a text message earlier, I think Losi just made it possible to pick up a rig at the hobby shop friday night after work, and win a comp on saturday.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I can attest to the lock tight issue i was showing a customer at my hobby shop today and a pin in the cvd dropped out on the counter. It's wasn't an issue took all of 2 minutes to fix. and futher more I always check every single screw, bolt and nut on any vehicle I buy anyways. All r/c cars are mass produced there is bound to be a few loose screws. All I can say being a moa owner/driver these things are damn nice and once dialed in these things will be somthing to worry about.
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I think Losi just made it possible to pick up a rig at the hobby shop friday night after work, and win a comp on saturday.
x2
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

Rich I know with this rig being worm driven that the "Typical" rockcrawler 55turn lathe motor isn't going to cut it, I know there are some reccomendations on the box, but maybe you or one of your team guys could give us some insight as to what motor/battery/esc combos you guys are using and what seems to work best for this particular rig.
Thanks Jason for the Text and for the new section coming soon

As for motors, we did most of ours with Sensored brushless systems since this seems to be the future of motors but we did do some brushed testing.

If you are going to run a brushed motor, I wouldn't recommend anything slower than a 35T motor. Since the we're geared lower than most, it'll be tough to get decent wheel speed with the "normal" 55 turn motors.
It would also help to run a 3s with the 35t motors. I'm not 100% on what esc's can run 3S with brushed motors, but that is what I would suggest.

As for Brushless I've been testing with our future Xcelorin sensored system with a 21.5 Rock Crawler specific motor. I like running it with a 3S and gear it with a 17th pinon. Keep in mind this is also with our tires, so if you running any of the "other" taller tires, you may want to gear down 1 more tooth.

I also tested with the Novak Goat system with the 18.5 and 2S lipo. I geared it with a 17 or 18. It still had decent wheel speed but that will vary by user.

Finally please keep in mind that Worm drive is not as efficent as the bevel type gears. You may notice a little less run time and things running a little warmer. We felt that all the benifits of worm will out weigh the negs and hopefully you'll see that too.

Hopefully this helps,

Rich
Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Sr. Product Developer

One more thing I forgot to add. I didn't have the factory bend the lower side panels so that it would be easier to paint. But for extra clearance, you can bend the lower sides just below the "hip line". This will tuck it in and flow the lower side bend of the chassis....hope this makes sense
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Like a boss...

Rich, which set screws in particular should we looking out for? Just driveline screws?

I got one built this afternoon. I'm using a 35T motor, 3S 1100mah 35C lipo and an 18T pinion. Haven't had it on the rocks yet, but so far seems pretty good for wheelspeed, etc.

I could not find any info on this anywhere from a reliable source, and the manual says nothing of it. But shifting the DIG on the fly, underpower? Is it possible? I tried it once under light power and it sounded awful.

This is a really nice, well built/made kit. I had it together in about 3 hours with existing gear.

-Mike

Last edited by mann0mann; 05-30-2009 at 12:31 AM.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ive found that a piece of shrink tube insures the pins wont fall out. Im runnin a 45t motor and it heats up like nothing youve seen, Im getting a 35t with an 18 tooth pinion tommorow and well see how that does but as for now HOT HOT HOT!!!! And no, my gears arent to tight.

A totally incredible rig from what Ive driven so far though, Great job guys!!!!

Rich, You da' Man!!!
lakedan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
But shifting the DIG on the fly, underpower? Is it possible. I tried it once under light power and it sounded awful.
The one I drove worked just fine full throttle, under load, under power, ect.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

mine doesn't seem like it shifts on the fly on power either. when i shift on power it sound like gears stripping and it doesn't come out of dig. if i let off the throttle it works fine.
HotCarl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #14
Like a boss...

I believe I had a pinion come loose earlier in the night. I didn't have the pinion set back far enough and the set screw was just ticking the edge of the spur. It eventually spun loose and made it seem like it was slipping at the "slipper".

I had tried shifting on the fly during this time and it sounded pretty ugly.

I just tried some tame forward and back shifts under light power and it seems fine now.

The whole thing has some new noises to it. The worms gears, the tranny.

It's no ninja truck. :-P

Last edited by mann0mann; 05-30-2009 at 01:12 AM.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

opened one last night at the store...
im selling my comp rigs and getn 1 of these!
very nice!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post

I could not find any info on this anywhere from a reliable source, and the manual says nothing of it. But shifting the DIG on the fly, underpower? Is it possible? I tried it once under light power and it sounded awful.

This is a really nice, well built/made kit. I had it together in about 3 hours with existing gear.

-Mike
Mike I am pretty sure I read a quote from rich or one of the losi team drivers that shifting on the fly was ok but they recommeded a low to no speed shifts to maintain durability and longevity of your dig and tranny.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
DBR
Quarry Creeper

besides having a slower rig, and running warmer, is there anything I need to worry about with running a Rooster 45t? I haven't installed it yet, so I am hoping to exchange it, but I would rather keep it for now until I can afford a brushless excelion. That looks like a sweet combo.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So what's Everyone lubing the trans with? 'Losi-lube'. . Nothing in there. . would it be safe to use Rocksmith's Gearjelly?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by APESHAT View Post
So what's Everyone lubing the trans with? 'Losi-lube'. . Nothing in there. . would it be safe to use Rocksmith's Gearjelly?
My guess any lube that you would typically use on any tranny gear jelly or the RC4WD monster lube would be fine.

May be worth opening up your axles and checking the worm gears for lube. Rich had mentioned they use the "smart diff" grease. He also said a good marine grease would work as well. I guess the main point is make sure they are lubed well.....very well.

Hope that helps.
moes670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thx- that's what I hoped, it doesn't look completely sealed when you button the motor clamp down- see some light. So nice thick lube is what I had in mind.