Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Motor-Pinion-ESC let's help each other!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Who's your Daddy-0!

Exclamation Motor-Pinion-ESC let's help each other!!!

Looks like there is going to be a lot of experimenting with what works best for this new crawler. Before we all start frying electronics lets discuss what is and isn't working.

I'm running a Mamba Max with a Warrior 35t on a 18t Pinion. I'm getting some pretty high temp at a very short run time.

What are you guys running and how is it working? Run times, temps, pinion, battery, ect...... post up!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

This is how mine is right now for testing.

35t Banzai (Special)
Mamba Max on 3s 1350mah 20c/30c
14t Pinion

Motor temp'd in around 115, ESC about 80. Both are livable in my book, Axle's are about 75-80 also.. Keep in mind all in 5 minutes, as thats all the CVD Lasted...

Should be OK... We'll see!
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Damn Kenny I thought your Warrior special was gonna pull the weight like they said a 35t on Lipo would-
The 1 we set up last nite was a Goat 18.5 running 18t on 2s 1350's.
No prob except slipper/trans noise so far.
No temp issues so far. Battery normal, just limited run-times due to noise. Contacted Rich, it's a non issue if damage was done. . .
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
RCC Addict

mamba max on 3s 1550 with holmes hobbies crawlmaster and 24 tooth pinion. Cool, very cool, killer runtime. (Hint) slipper adjustment and cvd's binding. All good after tinkering with it.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Tekin FXR
TP 1320 3s 20c
35t Holmes motor
15 through 18 tooth pinions (changed them out trying different combos)

The first run the motor got really hot. Did not check the actual temp then.
Had a little tight of a gear mesh, fixed that. Checked it, it run around 115 Degrees through a whole run of a 1320 3s.

3rd run it stayed around a 100 degrees.
It seems to be getting progressively better. I think the worm gear are made with tight tolerances. I feel like the heat issue will ease up after several packs.
Being all the test rigs were running brushless stuff it will probably take a while to get the right brushed set-up. There's enough rigs out now for a lot of info to be coming be out soon.

Have not had any more issue with driveshaft/cvd pins after I went through the whole rig a loctited and greased everything.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

I regreased the axles and ran them on a drill last night to break them in some. Guess I need to check my gear mesh again, never had a prob getting the mesh right but you never know..... I hit over 200 degrees last night on the motor Tearing it apart now.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would guess mine got that hot the first run Kenny, but I did not check it.
I usually don't miss on the mesh either but I went back to the paper between the pinion and spur technique. Hate to burn up a hard to get/find motor
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Mamba Max
3 cell 20C/30C 1350 or 25C/35C 1500
Integy 35T with 19t pinion....plan on replacing with Warrior 35T after drive train breaks in.

Have not had a pack thru it yet. Ran it on the floor and about 20 minutes on a stand at various speeds, forward and reverse. Temp of motor is at 120.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Like a boss...

Team Brood 35T
Tekin FXR
16T Pinion
3S 11.1V Lipo

I've been through alot today as well. Tried all the same things - 35T motor, started with an 18T pinion (liked the way it ran) but everything motor and rear axle were getting way to hot.

Tried a 15T no charge.

I did a complete teardown, regreased axles...spun them up in a drill a few times. Seemed to have made the difference. I went overboard with the grease too. Packed it in there.

I have now gone up to a 16T and going to stay there for a bit

I would also agree that pinion mesh is really critical with this one. The thing you have to watch out for is tightening down the motor mount. You have to do each side a little bit at a time. Like beadlocks. If you crank down one side of the mount I think it can rotate the mount slightly. I've been checking my twice/three times before I put the cover on.
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Glad I've got a couple 27t stockers to torture in mine until the 35t comes in
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Traxxas Velineon speedo and motor combo (3500kV)
16T pinion.
Not much to report yet. My radio glitched a bunch and I couldn't get a solid run in.:-(
celsiusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

just ran my truck
27 axial can motor
15t pinion
sidewinder esc
mini rock crawler lipo {havent got my big one yet}

doint have a temp gun but after about 10 mins
when the little lipo cut off. i could touch and hold the motor
and the same with the esc. i was running it hard to in order
to help with the worm break in. truck could use some more wheel
speed but i think it makes up with it in how predictable it is. if
that makes sence.

hopes this helps you guys
big geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #13

This will be my first crawler and need a little help with set up. Right now I have a Rooster with a 55t in the waiting.

My question is should I even attempt to run this setup when I get my Losi? If so what pinion would you say to use?

As far as breaking in the gears with the drill how long did you guys run it for?
CJSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Sounds like the rockforse all over again.Trying to find the right combo,and smoking stuff!!!
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSCustoms View Post
This will be my first crawler and need a little help with set up. Right now I have a Rooster with a 55t in the waiting.

My question is should I even attempt to run this setup when I get my Losi? If so what pinion would you say to use?

As far as breaking in the gears with the drill how long did you guys run it for?
They = Rich , doesn't recommend anything Slower than a 35t . . . Guess you could try a 55 w/2s lipo on your Rooster- maybe a big pinion. ? 20+ teeth
Sounds the guys using Drills to 'break in' ran em at least 10min ea.
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Very frustrateing to say the least . So far we have tried several combo`s and still nothing useable . The entire drive train has been inspected ,lubed and run on the drill and is very smooth . Useing an FXR esc .

Epic X stock pro 27T and 3s 1320 w/several pinions = Fast as hell but no torque and lots of motor smoke when under any load
Tekin 35T , 3s w/ 12t , 14t pinions = Considerably Slower than the 27t , still no torque and lots of heat
Epic 45T , 3s w/ 12, 14, 15, 17 pinions = Still no torque and painfully slow, speed is tolarable w the 17t but gets too hot .
Epic 45t on 2s w 12t pinion = Way too slow to do any good , But the heat is gone , seems stable as far as the electronics
Castle Sidewinder w 5700Kv motor 2s w/12T pinion = Killer wheel speed , Runs cool ,but again no torque cogs way too badly under load
Not recomended but we tried 3s on the BL set up too = FUN but the CVD`s did not like it at all , LOL .

I would have expected the 45T to be slow but @ 83.25:1 final gearing this thing should have been able to push rocks out of the way , but struggles to get it`s own weight up over a rock . What are we doing wrong ?
Anyone running the Losi recomended 21.5 Sensored BL set up ? Oh wait , they aren`t available yet . I would buy it today just to see if the damn truck really will run , but ... So any recomedations on what to do in the mean time ? I have a feeling that since this truck was designed around the BL set up, the gearing that is , then thats what it`s going to take to get this thing running properly . I want this truck to work or I think I would just throw in the towel at this point .
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Anyone running the Losi recomended 21.5 Sensored BL set up ? Oh wait , they aren`t available yet . I would buy it today just to see if the damn truck really will run , but ... So any recomedations on what to do in the mean time ? I have a feeling that since this truck was designed around the BL set up, the gearing that is , then thats what it`s going to take to get this thing running properly . I want this truck to work or I think I would just throw in the towel at this point .[/QUOTE]

I run a 18.5 tekin system and I am not sold on it. I cannot imagine the 21.5 would be much different than what I am running.
it is pretty smooth with a 15 tooth but I still dont have the torque I am hoping for. alot of times it will cog out when you put too much torque on it.

With the same setup in my axial i would have torque all day long even when it was fully bound up. With teh losi it wants to cog out when you climb a ledge and dont even think of trying anything with an under cut.

Last edited by Chaotic Crawlers; 05-31-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Anyone running the Losi recomended 21.5 Sensored BL set up ? Oh wait , they aren`t available yet .
I am running the Losi 17.5. Initial temps were pretty high (150 range). After some more running they are down to the 125 range which is very acceptable in my book. My guess is that the worm gears are breaking in.

I have pieced the cvd's together for runs on Saturday and again today. Unfortunately, during my first pack today I spun the ball off the cvd. Straight up incline with a little wheel spin trying to get traction. Once it hooked, it broke.

My Losi will be sitting until I get replacements from Rich as promised and/or I decide to put the RF axles on this rig. Those won't explode and the ratios are good for use on the Losi gearbox.

- DK
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingston View Post
I am running the Losi 17.5. Initial temps were pretty high (150 range). After some more running they are down to the 125 range which is very acceptable in my book. My guess is that the worm gears are breaking in.

I have pieced the cvd's together for runs on Saturday and again today. Unfortunately, during my first pack today I spun the ball off the cvd. Straight up incline with a little wheel spin trying to get traction. Once it hooked, it broke.

My Losi will be sitting until I get replacements from Rich as promised and/or I decide to put the RF axles on this rig. Those won't explode and the ratios are good for use on the Losi gearbox.

- DK

I'm thinking the 17.5 Losi for mine but I read somewhere it's not instant forward to reverse. Is this true with yours? Or did you work around it or learn to live with it?
T.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Mine is setup with:
35T Intergy crappy motor
13T Pinion
3S Losi Lipo
7955 Steering Servo
Sidewinder
CC BEC set @ 6.2 volts
JR MN48 Dig Servo.
Vanquish Revolvers,3 Slugs in front, None in rear, Comp Claws.

Wheel speed is a little less that on my Axial & in a drag race(20 FT drag strip) with a Axial SWX(30t motor,3S Lipo) chassis rig i was only about 2ft behind.
Also tried this rig with a 27T stock motor with a 14T pinion on the 2nd course today at a local comp & was a bit much & the magic smoke got out of the stocker, finished the course but she was a puff'n.

Last edited by Speedracer19; 05-31-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote