Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: rmb2485's Axial AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rmb2485's Axial AX-10

I'm addicted to my Jeep and take it offroad every chance I get, so when I found out about RC crawlers I had to get one. I poked around on here for a few weeks and wound up buying a used Axial AX-10 RTR on ebay. Build threads are always fun, so this will be the build of my AX-10.

Started off bone stock with nothing but some aftermarket mud on the chassis. (Pictures are from the ebay auction, since I didn't take any of it stock.)

Step one was to order a bunch of M3 stainless hardware from McMaster. I also ordered M3 allthread and 6mm solid aluminum rod to make my own suspension links.

Building links will have to wait a few weeks until I get some time and my drillpress from the parents' garage, so I borrowed some well used straight links from a buddy who has since upgraded to the bent variety. Got a bunch of Traxxas rod ends, cut some 20mm studs from the allthread, put together the links and bolted them up.

Next on my list is to get the battery down lower, persuade the stock body to clear the tires and get rid of the plastic tie rod. I realize my rig is nothing (yet!) compared to some on here, but any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by rmb2485; 07-31-2009 at 03:24 PM.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well i'll be the first to tell you welcome aboard. got a goodplatform to start with. are you gonna go the comp diection with it or scaler? and one of the first things i would do is get a different set of tires.imo. i got 4 bent lower links and a set of hotbodies rovers i's sell you cheaper than fleabay or the lhs. keep posting pics as you go i'll be watching. :-) happy crawling man!!!
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmahala View Post
well i'll be the first to tell you welcome aboard. got a goodplatform to start with. are you gonna go the comp diection with it or scaler? and one of the first things i would do is get a different set of tires.imo. i got 4 bent lower links and a set of hotbodies rovers i's sell you cheaper than fleabay or the lhs. keep posting pics as you go i'll be watching. :-) happy crawling man!!!
The plan is to take this thing in the comp direction. I'm sure I'll end up with another one too though, because I have to have a scale version of my Jeep.

I'll change and upgrade things as I need them, rather than just do what everybody does all at once. Wheel it, brake it, fix (read: upgrade) it...because if it broke it needed to be upgraded anyway.

If anyone is interested, this is my build thread for the Jeep.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Almost forgot about this, but I cut a piece from some aluminum I had lying around and moved the electronics to the rear upper links since the battery plate will most likely be moving.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

so u dont want the rovers or lower links?
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

More progress today...

Changed out the 27T motor for a 55T one and mirrored the transmission to get the motor at the front right corner of the chassis.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Bent up some aluminum plate to mount the steering servo vertically on the left side of the pumpkin and make space for the battery on the pumpkin and front upper links.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Got a couple of TowerPro MG996R servos off of ebay...this one seems to steer great, but we'll see how long it lasts. I ordered from one of the only auctions that shipped from the US, and I'm glad I did because one arrived with the wires torn up and had to be replaced.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Borrowed an old tie rod from a buddy and made a drag link from allthread until I get the time to build my own links.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

How it sits now.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Next up are some softer springs. Right now its got the stiffest (blue) springs on it and they don't let the shocks compress all the way. Any recommendations for which springs to switch to? I'm leaning towards to softest ones from Axial (red, I think?) but I don't want them to be so soft that they don't keep the wheels planted. Ideally, I'd like to be able to lift one wheel with the truck sitting on a flat surface and have the spring be just soft enough to let that shock compress fully before another wheel comes off the ground.

Last edited by rmb2485; 08-20-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Nice mod! If your looking to get a bit better COG try laying your servo flat again and get a split pack (saddle pack) Max amps sells them.

http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=205

You can use the stock velcro straps and mount them to the front axle.

grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

look great. keep up the good work
muddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Nice mod! If your looking to get a bit better COG try laying your servo flat again and get a split pack (saddle pack) Max amps sells them.]
I know this puts me in the minority here, but I'm staying with stick packs. They are easy to carry around and change out on the truck and my crawlin buddies all use them, so there will always be a spare around that fits.

The saddle pack would lower my CG maybe 1/2", but as it is now the thing will almost stand up vertically so I'm not worried about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Looks good.

I like the idea for using stick packs, I've got 7 of them so it would be great. Does mounting the pack from the front axle to the upper control arm impede suspension at all?
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Looks good.

I like the idea for using stick packs, I've got 7 of them so it would be great. Does mounting the pack from the front axle to the upper control arm impede suspension at all?
The suspension and steering are no different than stock and it flexes and steers perfectly, with no interferences.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I think it needs a new flashy body to go crawling with instead of running body-less.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
I think it needs a new flashy body to go crawling with instead of running body-less.
Agreed. But even with a body, my junk will still out-crawl your junk.

Tore an ear on the rear driveshaft last Sunday, so a pro pack of Traxxas Stampede shafts is on the way.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Changed out the stock, super stiff / blue springs for some super soft / red ones. Flexes great now and keeps all four wheels planted without lifting any.

Tested the new springs on the cat scratching post, aka RTI ramp...

Last edited by rmb2485; 10-03-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

you really wont be too far from your cralwer so you can put the antenna on the chassis or something, when i had my rtr in stock form i had it wraped around 2 body posts but now i run a tcs edge chassis
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote