Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Experimental Bull'Ax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Experimental Bull'Ax

Hello,

I tested my bully axles with a Pimp Cane and Havok frame. But finally I do not like too the balance of the weigh. I did not want to add ballast either. I left on the frame the my crawler WK, of which I like balance.

In front, I use Bully axle, and with the back a AX10 axle and RC4WD R2 trany.

The remainder in image:

BTA

The tire does not rub on the link or the shock (with RockClaw)

Back link support

The frame is made in Delrin of 7mm.
Weight : 2.840kg (6.2 lbs) RTR - 1.620kg (3.55 lbs) in front and 1.220kg (2.65lbs) in rear.
Clearance under the frame 7cm (2.75") in front and 8cm (3.15") in rear.

To come :
  • Dual ESC Tekin with 45T motor.
  • Axial Racing Straight Axle.

A small video of the first run :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDBRxWVUc4
t the end of the video one sees a little torque twist, but I did not notice it during the use.

The idea is strange, absurd, but that functions rather well

Last edited by TotoRax; 10-31-2009 at 09:18 AM.
TotoRax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

That is thinking outside the box!

If you move the battery to the chassis and use the bully axle in the rear it should maintain the same balance but if the performance is good then i say run what you like. It takes more than a good rig, you have to be comfortable with it.

2x
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Wow, interesting idea! Very original.
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm with Culleto. If you don't have the right weight balance, it's due to the location of that huge battery. I normally applaud out-of-the-box thinking, but this really doesn't make much sense. With any new build, it takes tuning to get maximum performance out of it. Put a smaller battery in the front of the chassis or even on the front links (that's where I mounted mine), and then add a little weight to the front wheels (I need to add 4oz to each front wheel) as necessary, and run the bully's on the Havok chassis. Once you get it tuned properly, it'll be by far the best performer of the 3 that you've tried.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Each time I look at this rig, I have the impression to see The Ugly Duckling!! Will it become a splendid swan? Not I do not think. I have to begin this project for 2 AX10 axle, but I missed parts for the front axle, and R2 trany did not have a dig. During construction, I had this strange idea.
The Havok frame is an excellent frame, the bad idea was to use 2 brusless motor. The ESC are large, heavy and difficult to place. As I will have received the 2 Tekin, lighter and small, I will take again the construction of Havok. But for the moment I will dig this idea, even if it is absurd, it functions very well.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Not too keen on that concept, yet. Is there a huge difference on the wheel speed between two of them? But, nice to see somebody to actually do something out of the norm.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsy View Post
Not too keen on that concept, yet. Is there a huge difference on the wheel speed between two of them? But, nice to see somebody to actually do something out of the norm.
My second ESC brushless does not function any more… still… I thus used my old 55T. It is a imortant element of this project, I control independently the 2 esc with a radio (Futaba T6EX). To compensate for the difference in speed do not have too difficult with a little training.