Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: chevy hardbody build (first scaler)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation chevy hardbody build (first scaler) !!!UPDATES!!?!?!!!

Hey guys this is my first scaler build, started off as a comp rig and went to a xtrail chassis and went from there, im about halfway done the build and have ALOT of pictures so it would take hours to post them all so i hope you dont mind looking at my photobucket ?? if anyone has suggestions on getting pics here faster then please let me know since im new to the site and dont really know how to even post pics. anyways, i got a clod hardbody off a buddy in kelowna along with the bowtie grille and chevrolet tailgate and a set of landies on stompers (1.9 ofcourse), currently its 4link front and rear, im almost done my interior along with 4 12" mtx subs (altec lansing ftw lol) and im very happy with how it came out since ive never touched styrene before this build, i started out wanted a lightly modified daily driver but the spl in my blood came out and i had to do a custom subwoofer enclosure with 8 watts on each speaker(its very loud with my ipod) the dash is almost done and im waiting on my recaro seats, i also decided to make a little flip out dvd screen for the dash to replace the ol cassette deck, threw in a tach and alot of other things to come since its in progress still. ive got the axial interior and exterior detail kits wich ive further detailed so im very anxious to get it all done, dash will have working lights and tach already lights up, continplating working steering wheel since i have a double steering slot on my reciever and a mini servo. i threw on a nice cowl hood to cover the ol blower hole and am happy with how it turned out, ive also cut out the tailights and made some really nice buckets with lens's, lastnight i finally got it moving since ive been trying to figure out how to put my motor under the hood with a slash tranny and using the stock axial as a transfer case(still working the bugs outta this setup any advice would be appreciated) unfortunately i havent got around to painting it yet since its super cold up here at all times so maybe when the snow melts hmm what else, toolbox in the back to hold my ipod.. hmm, i started this build awhile back so its hard to remember everything but ive been meaning to get it on a site for awhile now ive just been going through alot of life problems with some extremely deep debt with banks and about to lose everything and my father just getting diagnosed with cancer and whatnot so this build keeps my frown upside down and any comments or advice would really make my chin stay high. once i remeber all of my todo list and anything else ive done ill post it up, but anyways heres the photobucket link please take the time to look through and see my progress, there are some of my previous and current rc's and vehicles i personally own on and there and a few other things for inspiration. thanks guys.
-Tom

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/w...l-crawltolive/
i know theres like 13 pages of pictures but they show alot of progress i wish i knew someone willing to clean it up and organize it a little or even help me post it all up on here, but please look guys this build is really all i have good going for me right now and means alot to me. thanks again.

Last edited by Tmods; 03-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Tmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

badBKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

looks good...can't go wrong with NOS and a shotgun....then added the 10" sub....what else are you going to do with it??
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ohh man thanks I appreciate it, yeah there's a shotty and a sniper rifle i painted from the axial interior parts, in my photbucket there's newer updates now, slash tranny upfront that I'm still workin the gearing out, also there's 4 10" subs in there, one on each side and it's actually suprising loud and clear, it shakes the truck lol, I couldn't resist I'm a spl nut and win sound comps with my vw golf i'm planning on making the gauges light up but still haven't figured out how yet. Waiting on the recaro seats and I made sum hubs out of styrene. Hmm what else... Servo will be remounted, working on the wheelbase tonight since I have some time. I'll keep ya posted. Any ideas on how to mate the interior to the truck? Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good man. I'm building a scaler Clod as well, you should check it out. The wheels and tires look killer.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wish I had those wheels for my clod scaler . Check mine out . Nice build so far.
86 Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Nice guys awesome trucks thanks for the compliments. Are you doing a full engine compartment? Looks good
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmods View Post
Nice guys awesome trucks thanks for the compliments. Are you doing a full engine compartment? Looks good
I am . Scratch built Chevy 572 with brake like headers/exhaust. I plan on putting a smoker in the motor along with a sound box . Will be fully lit with a ton of LEDs and all that good stuff. Love your dash by the way . Cant wait to start on mine .
86 Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Wow man I can't wait to see how that turns out, that's a beautiful engine my dad does restorations and customs and just finished up a bel air with a built 572 on a corvette chassis riding on airbags and 20's, so much billet it'll make your head spin, just needs some paint and that one will be done. But I definately want to see how it turns out, have you built the engine yet or have any pictures? The dash has quite a bit more progress now, I'm just tryen to decide if I want to try and make gauges or find some sort of a sticker, same with the vents since they will be tricky to make... And waiting on seats and then I'll put in the arm rests, window cranks and door levers, not sure if I'll just glue in clear styrene. For the windows or try and get a clear set somewhere. The build went extremely low budget due to financial problems but I'm still getting alot accomplished. The servos remounted in the frame now but may still need to be moved.. Not much bump steer but it's in a not so great place. Noticed a few guys liked the wheels, since the truck is a bit more modified than I planned on I would be willing to trade them for a nice set of beadlocks, let me know if any ones interested, got the wheels with the body and watnot and the deal was good so I couldn't let it go. thanks for the compliments!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

its coming along great
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I know I'll get razzed for postin without having pics but I got a nice chunk of stuff done, I'll have pics real soon, interior is done minus the seats (damn eBay) so my dad collects old monogram(aka revell now) 1:8 models and he gave me a nice decal sheet with gauges and "the big tub" had PERFECT size gauges, so I made a piece of styrene to go behind my dash with the gauges and then clear styrene in the between the two, I'm extremely satisfied with how it turned out it looks really good, so the dash is done besides vents... Any one have ideas on dash vents? I tried making styrene ones and gave up so I might just paint them on unfortunately... Stereo is 100% done and sounds amazing with 4 10" subs. Some axial goodies came in so I narrowed down my tr rear bumper and am happy with how it looks I just need to tuck it a bit higher but don't want to cut my tailgate up... Finished my taillights and lenses, they look awesome IMO, got my side mirriors on, wheels are wieghted nicely and I made some nice hubs and warn lockers. Still waiting on my front tr bumper and rock sliders. Still on my todo list: wheelbase, paint, front bumper and sliders, hook up leds, install seats arm rest window cranks door handles and vents and then I'll call her good for a bit untill I get a winch and whatnot. I still have the stock ax10 shocks on there so I'll need to swap those out for some rc4wd coilovers when I get the chance. If anyones got a used set of the blue ones let me know whatcha want for them! Also if anyone likes the wheelset on my truck I'm willing to trade it for beadlocks with different tires, it just won't look right with the landies since the truck is leaning more towards a showtruck/mudder/trail truck. Thanks for looking!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

sorry if the pictures are wierd,small,sh1tty quality, or rotated wierd. They are off my iPhone and I don't have access to a computer so I'm trying the photobucket app out for the first time so I might mess it up *fingers crossed it works* these pics are of the axial tr rear bumper I narrowed and capped the ends with styrene and of the finished taillight bucketsand also a shot of my side mirriors and I think I got the hubs I made in there too
Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

some dashboard pics, dash is pretty well done I just need to paint it up, the waterslide decals are from my dads "big T" vintage hotrod model kit by monogram, he collects them and had one that he gave me the decals out of and I cut the gauge holes first so luckily they were exactly perfect size, very pleased with how they came out. Finally got the flip out DVD/navigation installed aswell (haha) it might be a bit too much but I'm a mobile audio enthusiast so I couldn't resist! The tach light works aswell, was going to light the gauges but it seems really tricky so I gave up. Also I haveta apologize now, sorry for only two pictures a post if I try three my iPhone refreshes and I lose all of it so bare with me! Also I hope the pics didn't turn out too bad of quality or too small icant really tell on my phone so please let me know! Thanks, pics are still coming so hold tight I got alot.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

more dash pics, those vents were a hassle since I'm still very new to styrene, excuse the blue light it's from the amp for the subs in the truck, got all 4 subs wired up to two amps and man they sound impressive! Also making a little amp rack over the top sub for one amp(kicker probly) the real amps are hidden so I wanted something more my style and made a styrene amp on a floating amp rack,almost done it. More pics still to come guys, also sorry if the pics aren't rotated I can't edit them on my phone, I tried with the last two pics but they are still the wrong way.. Sorry
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

last of the dash picsfor now, todo list for the interior still: add door handles,window cranks,door handles, and recaro seats(damn eBay hurry up your holding everything up!) and then I'll slap some paint down and add windows ones I mate the interior to the body, I don't want to paint yet because I want to color match it to the truck, I haven't decided on truck paint yet because I wanted to do blue originally but I see like 3 chevy builds jus went blue :( oh well maybe red, or I'd love pain color suggestions if anyone has any I'd definately love to be different. And any suggestions on making my gauges light up would be awesome too. Still have a couple more pics so be patient please and thanks for anyones input and suggestions!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #16

NICE JOB! Holy details! You wanna build me a body like that?? lol keep up the nice work
farmerstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

A couple more of the bumper since it's bugging me alot, I feel the bumper should be higher and a tad further out but it's out as far as she'll go and watnot, I really don't wanna haveto cut the rollpan up to get the bumper tucked up higher but I think it's my only option, also I'm pretty sure I will haveta move my body foreward 1/2"-1" so I can get the bumper in the right place. Unfortunately I made my body posts adjustable for ride hieght only not front to back so I will have to drill new holes. Still on my to do to list: paint it!, really need to get to a vise and watnot so I can do my wheelbase, secure the 3"(scale3") sidepiped exhaust better, possibly change my rim/tire combo since they won't really fit the scheme of the truck since it's more of a showtruck/mudtruck now (if anyone wants these wheels let me know and maybe me can workout a trade I want some beadlocks and preferably roklox, but lmk whatcha got, these are the spendy rc4wdrims not the eBay cheapies) I need to figure out some windshield wipers aswell and figure if I want the mini servo to turn the steering wheel inside(my tx has dual steering outputs ) I think that's it for now, but will be more in the nextfew days so keep lookin! Thanks for your time and please give suggestions or tips on anything!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Default About time for an update!

What nobody likes the rear bumper?? So I finally got the front bumper in, really strange it took this long since they were ordered at the same time... Also still waiting on my tr axle truss so i can do my top links, bottoms are done so the wheelbase is pretty much where it will stay. Servo got remounted but I have insane amounts of bump steer so please help me with that! Everything ended up really tight so it's as good as it will get for now, don't know if I'm quite happy with where te bumpers sit and would like to get the body a bit lower also but it hits the pede tranny so I cut out usernieth my cowl to get more clearance. And for the pics... Again I'm doing this off my iPhone so I can only upload 3 at a time or it resets the page on me so hold on untill I get all 9 or 10 pics added!

Hand painted PIAA logo

this is as low as I can get the body for now, I'd like the bumper to sit higher but like I said before the spur gear hits the hood if I go lower and then I'd haveta cut up the lower valance, I could just bolt the bumper to the valance but then it would be very weak and probly wreck my paint if it got bumped... Hold tight more pics coming
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Wheelbase shot... Excuse the touring car wheels lol mine are on there way to 86iroc in exchange for his wheels and a bunch more goodies

the piaa light grills, I also made lenses for them!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

My phones being picky and not letting me switch back and forth to pages without resetting now so I'll haveta add the rest later I still have 4 to post up...