Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spektrum DX6i Pistol, Dual Wheel, Dual Trigger, brake button, momentary on/off button

99% COMPLETE April 9 , VIDEO on Page 5. still adding functions

Hey Radio fans
I have been wanting to build a 6 channel pistol for at least 2 years, and I send an applause to my ginnypig Mr. Clockworks & Aussienerd for showing us it can be done. Glad I could be of inspiration clockworks- congrats on the build.
I am going to need your help on some of the wiring, specifically where and what size resistors. I read about in the other build but still missing the details.
Really appreciate your help

Donor Pistol case- KO mars ex-1 :
The Ko mars Radio in my opinion is really the best case out there for the Dx conversion. I did a lot of searching & was affordable,I bought just the Tx on ebay for $40. and plan to sell the tx module.
It has 3 sub-trim momentary buttons just like the DX6i, the 4th sub-trim can be used on the rotary located near the trigger or one can be added, as it is not used much at all.
There is also a Silver momentary under the steering wheel for your thumb= and another Silver button on the handle. These can be used in various ways like DIG buttons or engage mix's for steering, the DX6i is very versatile .
It has a Dual pole power switch which is needed for the DX6i.
It has a great open spot for the Scroll wheel
just enough space for all the switches/Dials, but a plastic extension will be needed to add on inorder to fit the main PCB board.

As you can see from Clockworks build there is little plastic fabbing to make space for the DX6i PCB board.

Goals are to Configure and operate the RC's below.

1/8 Scale Rock buggy
Throttle
Steer
Crab & 4WS
2wd, 4wd, and DIG with 3 Position
Proportional rear Steer

Berg Crawler
Dual ESC
Steer
Rear DIG
Front DIG

1.9 Toyota Scaler
ESC
Steer
Winch with 3 positions

Custom 1/5 AWD GTP On-road 3.5HP
Be able in future to take advantage of the revolutionary Slipperiential and have a Rear and or Front brake.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 06-01-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update info
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

PICS !

I love that the Colors match ! Just need some DX6i stickers !

Removal of the PCB, LCD boards from the Pistol.

Still Trying to Figure out the Wiring for steering controls

Documented the Wiring for the Sub Trims and the Upper Silver thumb button

First off the handle was just to Snug for my hand/fingers so OFF with the plastic bridge under the trigger.
Dremmel the trigger for more movement
Installed a 3 Position switch for the 4wd-2wd-DIG or use for Winch control.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

This should be a bit easier since this is the same radio as clockworks! BTW to work in crab, opposite and proportional you need 2 toggle switches that is without any mixing. Look forward to the build

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
This should be a bit easier since this is the same radio as clockworks! BTW to work in crab, opposite and proportional you need 2 toggle switches that is without any mixing. Look forward to the build

Kieren
Yea I'm hoping.
I was thinking I would use 2 momentary buttons to engage mixing of Ail and Rudder, 1 button for Crab an the other Button for 4WS.
That should work , right ?
I am reading the manual now
glad you are posting drawing Schematic's

Do you think I could use the same buttons in another operation for a separate model ? I think it would work

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yeah that should all work but what about just rear (proportional?)

Kieren
Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Cool, . I just programmed the DX for Mixed steering,
Flip one switch for crab walk
Flip second switch for opposite,
Works incredible well as I can stop using the Rudder Right stick and focus left thumb on all the steering. Not that this is really important or crucial to the build.
So I will just incorporate them to the Silver buttons

I am adding a proportional for the rear, Considering installing a 2nd steering wheel I took from my Futaba and placing on the side of the radio as I can use my thumb if needed to run the main steering and my right hand for proportional rear steer. I 'm not comping but it is possible.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

???
Ausie, I read your 3 Way switch conversion ( Very cool) can you use the subtrims to adjust each of the 3 positions ?

I want to make a 3 way switch by using a 2way and a momentary for the third selection . 4wd-2wd and momentary DIG ?
Or do I have to use a 3 way switch because of the neutral middle position ?

Thanks

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

*edit get it now* Yes it would be easy to wire a 2 pos toggle for 2wd 4wd then a second one that is momentary for dig. You would not be able to put it on one switch though I don't think I will check it out for you.

Kieren

Last edited by Aussie Nerd; 03-21-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Rather large but would have 4wd left 2wd center then mom dig on right switch I am sure there is something like it in a toggle but that is what came up in a quick search.

Kieren
Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

These are in toggle form but I can't find a pic on the digy key one. Toggle 1 Switch 2 Toggle 3

Kieren
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

wow I didn't mean for you to look it up, thank u though, 2nd link would work, ON-off- Momentary on
What I meant was use a single switch that is a 2 way and wire in a single momentary separate switch with it.

EDit
I just figured it out

2 Way switch , Middle is Signal wire (2wd), left is + (4wd) Right is prong is wired to Momentary ( to engage DIG

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-21-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Glad that it helped, it took all of 5 minutes so don't worry about it! You could use 2 switches but one 3pos toggle would look cleaner. Also don't forget your resistors.

Kieren
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

you *could* put a second wheel on for proportional steering but, if the little "wheel" at your thumb on the pistol style controller is self centering use that as the rear steering direct control. then you've got it at a thumb and you can have a bit more control, as your main steering is still on the front.....

aside from that, are you switching to a pistol because you simply are having too much trouble controling a dual stick? perhaps it's configuration for you.... I run a 6i on mine and no trouble, Left up/down is throttle left side/side is rear steer right up/down is dig, and right side/side is front steer. I've got the flaps switch set as 100% in/100% out so it's a flick switch controlling dig, and I can always move the right stick up or down to freewheel from either position if I need to..... and no switches set up for crab/opposed steer, cause I'm used to doing it manually.....
dhyde79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Not sure about T4C but I am mainly converting my radio because I was going to need to rewire completely anyway. My first car was stick along with my 2nd, 3rd so on, so forth, so I have no problem with sticks, but I think a pistol has a tiny edge in control of sticks. Plus it is awesome to say I built my own radio

Kieren
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Glad that it helped, it took all of 5 minutes so don't worry about it! You could use 2 switches but one 3pos toggle would look cleaner. Also don't forget your resistors.

Kieren
The Resistors are the MILLION Dollar question !, I have asked but never get the low down. Care to inlighten me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
you *could* put a second wheel on for proportional steering but, if the little "wheel" at your thumb on the pistol style controller is self centering use that as the rear steering direct control. then you've got it at a thumb and you can have a bit more control, as your main steering is still on the front.....

It would be very cool to use the thumb wheel for steering but it is incremental, clockworks used it as a throttle trim.
I am thinking of adding a 2nd wheel on the side of the Radio case, not sure, it would be cool but also I dont comp my super so it's really just for fun and not used a lot. It would be cool factor.
I agree with your thinking < I want to put as many as it makes since for thumb controls.

aside from that, are you switching to a pistol because you simply are having too much trouble controlling a dual stick? perhaps it's configuration for you.... I run a 6i on mine and no trouble, Left up/down is throttle left side/side is rear steer right up/down is dig, and right side/side is front steer. I've got the flaps switch set as 100% in/100% out so it's a flick switch controlling dig, and I can always move the right stick up or down to freewheel from either position if I need to..... and no switches set up for crab/opposed steer, cause I'm used to doing it manually.....
Pistol is just so much more comfortable for me, And I will be using it on my custom 1/5 and SC truck.
I do hope to get my wife a Heli so I may build a umbilical cord to connect back to the Stick for standard remote style.

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 03-22-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Cut up the Pistol case the other night and filled in the front panels. Printed up a DX6i decal
I know it's early but :
What kind of paint is best for tx cases, any pro's out there ? Need a good Spektrum Silver. thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
RCC Addict

What do you want to know about resistors? Just get as close as you can to 2k5. It doesn't really matter, but just to be on the safe side. I think I bought 2k6? Any way you just run a resistor from the left hand terminal to the center terminal and another resistor from the right hand terminal to the center as well. That is for a 3 pos switch. Just means that when the switch is off it sends a return to center value to the radio.

Kieren
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Oh on paint I am not sure. I think I will just rattle can it. But I guess ordinary plastic model paint would be the best. In that sense tamiya styrene rattle cans would work too.

Kieren
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see more people doing the Stick to Pistol conversion!

As far as paint goes, I like the Krylon Fusion paints, they seem to bond better to plastic, and are a little more scratch resistant than most other rattle-can paints I've tried. Just make sure you prep the surface (even though it says you don't need to) and clean off any oils left behind by your hands. (Simple soap and water, or alcohol will work)

They don't have a huge selection of colors in the Fusion, but I think the silver probably comes pretty close to the spektrum shade.

On the resistors, you just need something to center the channel when the switch is in the off position. Any value will work as long as they are equal left to right. 2k2 resistors are easy to find, even RS has them 5 for a buck. They should work just fine.

Good luck with the rest of your build!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

oh, I totally missed that I would need a resistor for a 3 way,. I didn't see that in the 3 way conversion thread.
I thought I needed them for all the main channel pots

So in the whole conversion the only place I need 2k2 or 2k5 resistors is when I combine 2 dx switches into a single 3 way switch or make a pot into a 3 way ?

Hope to to pick up elec components today. and some paint.

Thanks guys ,