Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Chassis and Suspension

Notices

Thread: Rod end shock caps-done the right way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Sometimes, I make things.

Default Rod end shock caps-done the right way!

***These are discontinued as of right now, thread is being left up for referance***

Please read this entire post before PM'ing me with questions, if your questions are not answered in this post then by all means PM me with any firther questions. (You would be surprised how many people PM me asking questions answered in this post then never follow up and buy caps, let's not waste both of our time please) Also, PM me for paypal info.

Losi Comp Crawler shock caps, these require no drilling into the shock body, the stock aluminum eyelet will need to be trimmed and sanded flush, but no hole drilled so no fear of a leaky cap like the old fashioned way. Pictured below w/ a 3m bolt in the cap, button head hardware is recommended, holes are not tapped so any properly sized hardware will work. These caps will easily allow you to invert your shocks for lower CG but do add length so tuning and other mods may be necessary to maintain a low ride height.

I also have some for Traxxass maxx Big Bore shocks. These caps are drilled and tapped for 4m hardware and are thick where the bolt goes through them for strength and more sealing surface. They are recessed for the stock shock cap gasket and also best used w/ button head hardware.
Info on the new Traxxas compatible caps can be found in DickyT's thread
DT's UGC Viper
New caps:
On a 3.5" big bore

Compared to stock cap:

This revision is shorter and less than half the weight of the first set of caps I made. If you have purchased rev1 of the traxxas caps and would like a new set of rev2 let me know, I will give you a price break.

I recommend revo rod ends for 4m hardware caps. I have the following available now:

0 sets of Traxxas Maxx big bore caps ***for aluminum BB's only, will not fit plastic shocks***
0 sets of Losi 4m caps
0 sets of Losi 3m caps

I will be updating this thread as much as possible.

Price for caps is $20 shipped in the US, $25 for international orders. I will ship anywhere.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 08-10-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: product update
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Can they still be cap bled pretty easily?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #3

On the Maxx big bores they bleed out pretty easily, not so much w/ the Slash plastic shocks as they are a much tighter fit.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Put a set of the 3mm losi caps on my shocks for a test last night. Here is what i have, my old modded losi shocks that leaked and stripped out rod ends. I sealed up the hole with silicone, i also put a little teflon tape on the body thread(just in case my silicone job failed).Screwed the CO cap onto the shock, made sure it was good and snug. I had installed the rod end before, obviously. I mounted the shock inverted. I wanted to see if the tire would loosen the caps when there was contact during hard turns. I have to say A++ to the caps, they took a beating!Never loosend and held strong. Even with my already drilled shock bodies, not a drop of oil. Good job

The white on the shock bodies is the teflon tape!

Last edited by billj; 10-22-2010 at 12:03 PM.
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

How much extra length does your cap add to the shock??
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #6

From the top of the Losi cap to the surface the rod end will rest against the added length is .182. The traxxas shock cap from the top of the threads on the shock body to the surface the rod end rests against is .347. This is the measurement for the cap only, depending on what rod end you run there will be more added length. I will post up more overall length measurements of complete shocks as soon as I can.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

Also taking suggestions on other shocks you would like to see these for. I am planning to make some for xr10 shocks.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 11-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

any plans on knurling them?
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #9

Thats a good idea but it would drive the price up more. I snug mine down with a small strapwrench. Thanks for the input.

ADDED: I will look into doing this for future runs of caps as its a good idea, I am mainly woried about it weakening the material as I am keeping these as thin as I dare, and the machines I run them on have tight tool clearance tolerances to the chuck when running such small pieces. The machines are mainly for larger pcs. This run of traxxas caps is pretty beefy, future runs of them will be much lower profile. I have some knurling tooling and will at least try it out on the next run to see what happens, working on getting some axial comp shock caps done now, I hope to have some ready for testing done in a week. These caps were my first run of each type, I may end up dropping the price a bit to move them, and refund the diffrence to those I have already sold them to.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 10-29-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #10

The first batch is now on sale for $20 shipped, once these are gone I will make more w/ some minor revisions that have been discussed. If you have purchased some I will be in touch with you to refund you the difference on the sale price, I don't want to leave anyone feeling like they didn't get a good deal. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I see Traxxas big bore shocks, Will these also fit the Traxxas stock T/E maxx shocks?
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I would LOVE to see you make these for Revo shocks..... I would take several sets
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #13

I have some stock Maxx shocks I will check to see if these will fit, I think they will, I will double check. I also have some Revo shocks I may make some caps for them also.

I am updating the main post in this thread w/ my rev2 Traxxas caps. Sorry for the delay in my response guys, I have been pretty busy working on something new that will be a limited production item. Thanks for the interest.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have a old set of Big bore, and I really want to try tu use this on my XR10, but....do you ship to France, and the price four 4 caps ??
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #15

I welcome international orders, I will ship anywhere at the buyers expense.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #16

These do not fit the stock plastic maxx shocks, sorry about that. I may have some of the older style caps with a larger OD on the threads that will fit if you are interested, thhis new batch also does not fit the slash plastic shocks either, I tightened up the tolerances forr a nicer fit on the big bore bodies.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ima have to add these to my christmas list
Bcampisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Heres a pic of the CO caps on my Big Bores w/ trimmed down revo rod ends. The 4mm hardware makes these solid as a rock. Im liking them more and more every day.

billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

what's the price for these kick ass shock cups for Big bores?
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #20

$20 shipped in the US, $25 for international orders.