Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tomi's RC4WD Gelände Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tomi's RC4WD Gelände Jeep

Getting back to scale-trucks again after a little while off them. I took a little bite a couple years ago with Axial SCX10, but didn't like it as it was "too crawler".

Got myself a Gelände Jeep kit from RC4WD and after a hassle with USPS and Finnish customs I even got it home ;). In the same package with the kit were Dick Cepek Mud Country -tires.

Compared to Dirt Grabber:

Beadlock wheels are simple yet working:

I was thinking of using Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller (7T) with the truck, but it's rather long and touches servo. I did drive a couple minutes testdrive with 3S lipo before I remembered Puller doesn't like that much juice... I switched to 45T Lathe.

Put some spacers between chassis and front bumper to prevent front tire from rubbing front bumper...

Also greased the axles and trannyparts...

( out of the box -condition shown in the photo )

After a short test indoor testdrive it turns out my pinion is faulty and it broke in two :(.

Customer service at RC4WD rocks and saves my day. They shipped out new pinions with express mail (they should arrive next week if everything goes well).

Painted the body lime green/black so I won't lost it to the forest .

I found a pinion too (15T 48P is a rather close match) and got outside with the truck for a couple minutes before it started raining...

... and front driveshaft broke:

The kit does come with 2 spare driveshafts and I can head out again tomorrow .

Edit: All the photos of this truck can be found here: http://tomikulmala.smugmug.com/RC-Sc...D-Gelände-Jeep .

To be continued...

Last edited by tomik; 04-22-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Imagegallery link
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

tires are too small
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Actually they don't. Because this is one of the few trucks I've seen that is relatively scale compared to 1:1 jeeps.
Very nice combo. Maybe some more pics.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
tires are too small
I'm happy with this tire size... For now ;).

Grabbed the JunFac driveshaft (the only one I have) from my G-Made R1...

The front of the body was unattached last time, but now there's a velcro in the front too. I hope it can take the hits.

It's simply a piece of polycarbonate under the screws that hold the front bumper .
Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That looks awesome. I've been wanting to build one.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Great looking rig! The wheels make it!

Grab pinions from your local hobby or another vendor on here. Those pinions look like sintered (powder) metal, and will fail again. Robinson Racing pinions are great. Most hobby stores carry them, vendors on here, and Tower Hobbies, etc.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys!

@sweli: I already have pinions coming from RC4WD. I'll wait for those first.

I doubt the regular 15T 48P pinion is the right one because I have something slipping now (after 2,5h of driving today) and the truck won't move. It sounds like the pinion is slipping :(. More about this after I've taken a closer look.

Meanwhile, here you go... Take a look at a couple photos (I know the window tint has air bubbles).

And again... Blew the DRIVESHAFT! Lucky me, I packed the spare ones with me when I left home. Sorry to say, RC4WD, but the plastic driveshafts are a joke. I really don't even push hard with this rig neither do I have overwhelming power in that 45T Integy that has let the magic smoke out once with LCC.

It was pretty dusty in the forest after snow had melt...

Oh, almost forgot... There's a video coming up later today too. Just some random stuff you might be interested in .
Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here's the video I promised...

What comes to the "something not working and slipping sound"... I opened the Disruptor planetary transmission and found out that the pinion I had bought from a friend was 100% fine (seems to be a quality pinion). No wear marks whatsoever, but the 3 small gears inside the tranny were all worn up. When I pushed 2 of the 3 small gears to the outer ring the last one didn't touch outer ring at all, which means they have worn so bad the pinion in the middle didn't touch the small gears when the motor was installed.

I'm not sure what went wrong...
1) Are the small gears of the Disruptor really so soft metal?
2) Is my pinion made of too hard metal?
3) Is my pinion faulty in some way, meaning 15T 48P is not the exact match with the Disruptor ones?

Anyway, will I spend $39,99 to new gears for the Disruptor or should I just go with AX10 tranny and be happy with it. I know it can take some serious power without getting broken (a couple guys I know use AX10 tranny in FOFF -truck without any problems).
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks very nice. I think I would just use the Axial tranny.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have had various gears in two R2D gearboxes wear very prematurely as well as punisher shafts. Great scale designs, but seems that the material quality is not very good in some instances.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks very clean! I like the color nice work!
Moosekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

ditch the disrupter and go with the axial. Then you can play with the gear ratio and not be stuck at a set ratio like you are now.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Do we see this beaut at Lahti in couple of weeks..?
FinCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

@sweli: I agree, great scale, but they should put some more effort to quality control to keep their customers buying some more stuff later on too .

@jetboat: That would be a huge advantage. Just need to think how to mount Axial tranny to the front of the truck. I want to keep the weight distribution approximately the same as it is now.

@FinCrawler: I might grab the truck with me, but probably won't compete with it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Bought an Axial tranny that's going to replace at least the Disruptor planetary gears. Still thinking if I should ditch the transfer case too or not. I kind of like it and with it I could install the tranny up front and keep the weight distribution more "scale". But I would also need one more shaft to deliver the power from tranny to transfer case... There's a "shaft" now too, but it's only a shaft end connected to another:

Any simple ideas how to mount the AX tranny to the chassis? Axial tranny is ~75mm wide and the chassis beams are 73mm apart and 6mm thick.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

yeah those tires are pretty smokin hot with that jeep, I agree with putting motor/tranny in front, and battery dead center on the skid plate for better cog. my noobish 2 cents. i'm going to subscribe and check in to see the progress

I too would like to purchase a transfer case in future for my jeep. However I was lucky and managed to fit with interior mounted, but body seems bit high and I need differ shocks/tires i think to make it scale like...
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments .

I got the Axial tranny mounted today...

Starting point, threw the planetary gears away from the truck.

The "magic part" (Integy 45T still bolted on, but probably will get some 35T in the future)...

Some LCC shafts and a piece of aluminium (HUGE thanks goes to a friend who worked with the aluminium because my work bench isn't ready yet)...

Tranny mounted. Took some time to hammer (well, not quite) the aluminium plate between the frame beams, but after a little while here it is...

Turns out the LCC shafts couldn't be shortened enough for this application so I had to sacrifice one RC4WD shaft. Actually, after thinking for a while, this is better because I can now use the other LCC shaft for what it was originally intended: driveshaft . These LCC shafts have taken some serious beating in a comp LCC so they should be able to stand what this truck has to offer ;).

In the end... It moves now and is much more quiet than it used to be!

Time to get some sleep... Let me know what you think!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

will it still fit under the hood?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yes, it fits under the hood .

Last night I noticed the shocks get stuck somehow (it's been from the beginning, but I thought they are just new and the parts need to get used to each other). I have to push pretty hard from the top of the body/chassis to get them moving smoothly again. After that "first push" they move nicely, but then after a while get stuck again :(. Anyone's got a clue why this happens?

Last edited by tomik; 04-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Very nice. Simple is best
Anyways...the one thing that bothers me is that there are no wheel wells.
I mean the underside of the body is see-through.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelände, jeep, rc4wd