Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: Getting back to my 1:1 after 3 yrs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Getting back to my 1:1 after 3 yrs.

As it currently sits.
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Started with an 87 YJ about 6 years ago. Got it with a crappy built 350/350/231 combo and a dangerous SOA kit on 33 SSR's. After trying to replace the factory wiper switch with a dash mounted one I learned by the smell of burning wire that the switch was made defective.
Thus began the switch to a complete AFI TBI system. Again, more problems and battling back and forth with the owner about the incompitence of my GM trained mechanic only to find out the harness connection was made with the wires in a few "wrong" pin locations. "AFI SUCKS" as far as I'm concerned, so moving on.
383 stroked TBI setup with purpose built TH350, now sporting a 205 behind it, Crappy axles replaced with some rebuilt GM 1tons with 4:56s, both shaved and the rear sportin a disk kit and pinion guard supported by XJ rear springs and 5 leaf packs up front and rolling on 37" IROKs w/ H2 wheels.
Body went through a comp cut and a home grown 1/2cab with custom made soft top covering up a RockHard 4x4 cage setup to work with the half cab. I got as far a building a custom dash using white faced guages, center console (with Pro ratchet shifter) and the drivers racing seat, then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,POW!!!! Hit by a fake-insured twit who was texting on her phone. Needless to say, the past 2 years have been pretty rough on the back and the ability to work on my rig.
Just recently I got it pulled out, washed up, touched up and ready to fire. waiting now on a new battery but I just got through ordering a TTF 18* up clocking ring and a new CV yoke and rear shaft from Jess at High angle driveline. (Thanks a bunch by the way) I'll be using a front CV shaft from an XJ, whilenot the best for serious off roading, it'll get me by for now. I'll have some help from a few friends to help with the heavy work as well as my wife and daughter, the wifes a great mechanic and my 12yr old can't wait to drive "HER" rig.
There's a ton of bla, bla, bla that's still untold but you get the picture, it's pretty much an old school BTF style rig. I had a ton of pics back in the day on their forum, I'll probably have to link a few in here.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice, I just started working on putting my YJ back together after sitting for about 2 years.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There are plenty of good wheeling spots within a few hours drive of Houston....if you are still planning on moving down here.

Nice YJ, BTW. I've got a 97TJ and it has been sitting for too long...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
There are plenty of good wheeling spots within a few hours drive of Houston....if you are still planning on moving down here.

Nice YJ, BTW. I've got a 97TJ and it has been sitting for too long...
Thanks, I'm still waiting to hear back from the company directly, it may not happen if the job here that's local comes through (which is 99* a given) but staying here would make my girl happy. The plan has been to finish it off enough to sell it, but we'll have to see just how well she can convince me to keep it for her (since she's only 12) or if I can stand to get in and out of it once in a while and go have some MILD fun.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Whats with all the purple, FAG!

Nice loooking Heep.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Whats with all the purple, FAG!

Nice loooking Heep.
Funny thing, when I checked it out on line, it said it was a Purple color, yet the pics of it then and what I take all make it look Blue. It's actually pretty cool in the light, it changes from Purple to Blue almost like a camelion color paint. I don't mind it my self, I'm a real man and can be OK with Purple.
Since the paint was so nice we figured we'd leave it alone and go with "People eater" for it's theme. License plate would read, "Ppleater". It's different than the Black, primer, or camo that comes outta the can from Wal-Mart.

I just put a battery in it and after a bit we got it fire and run. Only problem now is one of the injectors isn't working. I'm going to see if it can be cleaned or if I should just pull one from something else and call it good. BUT,,,,, "It's ALIVE".
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

hey easy...its a theme jeep build

DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Is that a piece of wood separating you from the exposed gas tank?

Other than that I like it. Nuthin wrong with purple, I am painting the frame on my Bronc purple.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
hey easy...its a theme jeep build

Thanks Dewey, that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Is that a piece of wood separating you from the exposed gas tank?

Yes, actually it is. I've got some tabs welded to the body and the roll bar that the pieces bolt to. It's sealed around all the seams and everything on the inside and out is covered in bedliner. The tank actually has a bolt on cover, and I had planned to make a hinged lid to cover the whole bed area that'll lock down and hold gear on top of it. (like my cooler of Monster)

Other than that I like it. Nuthin wrong with purple, I am painting the frame on my Bronc purple.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #11

man thats a nice yj if only i had the money to do a beater
emaxxbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Everything looks bullit proff, just go wheel and have a great time.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice looking YJ. My favorite jeeps are 91-95 YJ's. What size of tires are you running? I just put a set of 36" bias ply Irok's on my YJ a few months ago, love them. Love the 1 ton axles, wish I would of done that on mine instead of the full width dana 44's. Then I could run 40" tires. I would recommend doing full hydraulic steering.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully you can keep it and wheel the hell out of it.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Yashua

BAD ASS START ON THIS ONE KRAKKER, NOW WHEN YA GET THAT DONE YA CAN TAKE YOUR RC CRAWLERS TO SOME COOL SPOTS .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxbreaker View Post
man thats a nice yj if only i had the money to do a beater
Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
Everything looks bullit proff, just go wheel and have a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Nice looking YJ. My favorite jeeps are 91-95 YJ's. What size of tires are you running? I just put a set of 36" bias ply Irok's on my YJ a few months ago, love them. Love the 1 ton axles, wish I would of done that on mine instead of the full width dana 44's. Then I could run 40" tires. I would recommend doing full hydraulic steering.

Keep up the great work. Hopefully you can keep it and wheel the hell out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
BAD ASS START ON THIS ONE KRAKKER, NOW WHEN YA GET THAT DONE YA CAN TAKE YOUR RC CRAWLERS TO SOME COOL SPOTS .
Thanks a bunch guys.
This wasn't my first big off-road project but it's been one of my favorites that I actually started off with a plan.
I'm only running 37" IROKs right now. (I got them from a Pirate member that was building the same thing and said they were too small. As soon as I mounted them I thought ,"yeah, I shoulda went with the 40s or 42s )
Oh well, my wife and girl helped me get the transfer case clocked today. The TTF clocking plate was perfect, I clocked my 205 up 36*. After a healty pounding of the body underneath, it finally slid into place and now sits just above the mounting point. The skid should actually be 1" closer to the bottom of the frame now.
Now I need to fab N bend up something for the T-case shifter and change out the rear yoke. Then I'm ready to get the drive shafts put on and have the exhaust re-routed. Here's a few of todays pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I would recommend doing full hydraulic steering.
Forgot to mention that I've got a DIY front diff ring with ram mount built into it. I've also got a Trail Gear Hydro assist kit for it and a front cap mod for the gear box. The new front cap for the GB is tapped and all I have to do is tap the top cap for the return line. I don't even have to remove the box.
It's also running a highsteer arm and beefy steering link. The front diff is open for now, but the rear is lincoln locked. I also cut the flange off of a rear shaft so I can run the rig with one wheel wonder and pop the shaft in when I get to a trail. I even ran the Taurus fan to a switch so I could turn if off for water or deep mud runs.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Forgot to mention that I've got a DIY front diff ring with ram mount built into it. I've also got a Trail Gear Hydro assist kit for it and a front cap mod for the gear box. The new front cap for the GB is tapped and all I have to do is tap the top cap for the return line. I don't even have to remove the box.
It's also running a highsteer arm and beefy steering link. The front diff is open for now, but the rear is lincoln locked. I also cut the flange off of a rear shaft so I can run the rig with one wheel wonder and pop the shaft in when I get to a trail. I even ran the Taurus fan to a switch so I could turn if off for water or deep mud runs.
Worse thing ever you can do is tap the cap on a steering box. I have seen more crack the cap on the trail and not to mention the ones I get into my shop...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Worse thing ever you can do is tap the cap on a steering box. I have seen more crack the cap on the trail and not to mention the ones I get into my shop...
Never seen any of the ones I've been around crack or leak but if it's a cast metal issue, I'm sure I can throw some SS or aluminum on the mill and match one up that'll work for me.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Never seen any of the ones I've been around crack or leak but if it's a cast metal issue, I'm sure I can throw some SS or aluminum on the mill and match one up that'll work for me.
Had one blow the cap off--but the pump was pumped too

If you have the ability to make a new cap I would....

But I tossed my steering box like 6 years ago and never looked back
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Good to see the cover on the gas tank. Not hating on you but the thought of a fire scares me personally.

I caught an IROK on a tree with my new full width axles and blew all my fluid out the cap when it split open. I was going quite slow too.

I had my box tapped by West Texas Off Road. Actually, since they rebuilt the box it works so good I still have not put a ram on. If you are going to tap the cap, definately make a new one that is stronger.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote