Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Myrtle Beach area crawlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Myrtle Beach area crawlers?

Hey, Myrtle Beach guys! I'm building my first WK crawler for some roots and mud action (no rocks here, heh).

Anyone run at Vereen's Gardens in Little River?

I used to ride my mountain bike there for years and there are some small hills with gnarly roots around the creek that runs through it. It seems to be about the only area around with any type of topography at all.

I took my T-Maxx there and it just violently ripped up the trails (and everyone thinks you have a chain saw). Now I'm looking to go through with a little more finesse, crawler style.
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

No crawler here, but looking into getting one. Id like to follow along with your build if you care to share it. Ive been looking for some one local to get into this with, as itll be a lot more fun with some competetion. There is a golf course behind my house with a few decent spots (pond run-offs) with some gnarly rocks to navigate. I woudlnt be beyond building a little course within the trees in my backyard as well. Ive got all kinds of driftwood and roots Ive collected over the years. I could make something very challenging in a fairly small area.

Also, if you think youd be interested in some on road racing (cant find antyhing in this area) Ive got a group of guys that races Kyosho 1/28th scale on a carpet track behind our office. Some one would be happy to lend you a car to try it out.
hrddrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That sounds awesome. I was thinking of building a course on some land I have up in Longs. If I can only find the time....

I thought about trying road racing once, but those darn mini-Z's are expensive! HAHAHAHA!

AS far as my Wheely King build goes, I have already locked the diffs with some epoxy and I moved the battery to the front of the truck, held on by velcro straps. I reversed the tire tread and I noticed this thing loves to climb!

Later this week I should get in my order from 843 RC Hobbies in Socastee. I ordered a Novak Rooster Crawler ESC and a 55-turn lathe motor. Also have the bent extended links on the way from STRC and I ordered a set of Traxxas ball ends for the new links. I recently upgraded my T-Maxx with steel driveshafts, so the old ones were donated to the WK to cover the stretch.

I guess I need to take some pics!!!!

I will tell you that if you are thinking of building a crawler out of a Wheely King, wait a bit as they are coming out with their own crawler conversion kit. Oh, and the stock ESC is crap. It has an insufficient heat sink for crawling, heats up and shuts off for a few minutes. This was the reason I bit the bullet and went ahead with the new ESC/motor combo.

I have a buddy building alongside mine, so we bounce ideas off each other. Also, this site is invaluable for info.

I'll post some pics as soon as I make it to Vereen's Gardens!!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Coming soon to Little River!!

Build update:
Locked the WK diffs with epoxy putty and moved the battery to the front. I am waiting for my STRC extended link kit to get here....

Who says the stock length chassis can't articulate?

My new setup, going in soon....

Decided on a Tamiya reissue Brat body. I ordered a new STi decal for the hood.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Coral Crawler

Hey guys, would like to get together. Will get back with you soon , projects on hold at the moment as wife just had a baby, be back up and running sometime in March. Been all around the Water Tower road area off of Hwy 90 to back of Barefoot landing, which I see they are paving more and more of. Used to play around the river access between Hwy 90 & 905 right off on 22. Haven't been back since the county fixed it up over the fall/early winter. Looks like they cleaned it up some and layed a lot of enbankment rock. Haven't stopped when going by, keep meaning to, but on Hwy 9 right across from Stool Pigeons there is a boat ramp/ river access area with a lot of nice rocks, hope to check it out in a week or two when I get out of the house, lol. Anyay, got to cut it short. We'll have to plan a get together coming up. Everyone in the area keep looking for and posting cool spots.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Cool. Always looking to crawl! (Even more so as I just fried the clutch in my T-Maxx.)

Got the motor and ESC in! Still waiting on my extended link kit.....

Made it to Vereen's Gardens in Little River on Sunday. Me and a bud had a blast with our Wheely Kings. (Still haven't put on the new body until my link kit shows up - I'm running some old orange Savage body)

We had fun in the blackwater swamp as you can tell.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I lost this thread LOL I guess I dont have the topic replies turned on in my profile. Ill have to go change that.

I got a WK this past thursday!!

Good to see you getting your WKs some use. Does your bud have anything going on for waterproofing in his? It looks like its sitting pretty deep

I did all the same upgrades you first mentioned (locked diffs, relocated battery, flipped tires) but am still having trouble with the ESC. Im glad to hear Im not the only one though. I looked at the rooster at 843 this weeekend, but am more leaning towards the mtronics water prrof set up. Im really wanting to go as waterproof as I can, as I can forsee some mudding in my future

As far as crawl spots, I think huntington state park has a nice trail that would be a great place to some trail riding. We have a yearly vehicle pass for there so it wouldnt cost anything to get in. A buddy of mine says MB state park has an awesome trail as well. Ive got a small dirt hill in my backyard. The wife has given the permision for me to add on some rocks to it, and the surrounding area in my yard. LMK next time you guys go out somewhere. I may be up to meet you. Im about to have a baby too, so my free (read-RC) time is about to get shortened for a while.

Oh BTW, miniZs arent that expensive. For what you have in your WK, you could have a couple of hooked up Zs We have a guy from LR that comes down every weekend to race with us. Im sure he would welcome a more local person to race with, as he allready has a track at his house. If you ever decided to try it out, my offer still stands
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Awesome on getting a WK!

Yeah, the stock ESC was crap in mine and my bud's isn't the best. 843 hooked me up with the Novak setup. I understand about the waterproof part, I was in that water too! No probs so far, just takin' it slow in there. Joe is thinking of a waterproof servo since he is going with a axle mount.The Rooster Crawler is SUPPOSED to be water resistant. Talk with Shane up there at 843. He's running a homemade crawler and knows his stuff.

We are building a small rock garden near the house. Also, I heard there is a decent spot off of 10th Ave N near the towing place. Haven't checked it out though.

I finally got the STRC extended link kit in. Here it is:

The steering linkage was too long after threading the Traxxas rod ends in as far as I could so I got creative. Instead of cutting down the rod, I decided to give it a funky bend instead, that way I can bend it back if I flip the axle mounts.

Added some stick-on wheel weights for the front axle.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!

I am working on compiling a video of Vereen's. Lots 'o water play!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cool man. I talk to Shane on a reg recently

Did a few mods to mine allready....flipped the wheels, removed the rear suspension brace, removed the top of the battery box, moved battery to the front, locked the diffs, and removed abuchof unnecessary pieces. I want to cut a few more pieces off of the chassis, then Ill move into the more intricate mods.

My wife is actually reccomending that I get some rocks for the back yard!

Once I get anyting set up Ill post it here,

Anyway here are a couple of pics.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Awesome!

My crawler is almost done (is it really ever, though?).

I ordered some Losi Rock Claws and RPM narrow rims from 843. I also have a 93t spur on the way. I locked the transmission with a shock spacer and took out the clutch spring.

IN the near future I plan to add a servo mount to the front and I might switch to some smaller airplane and mini-t batteries I have collected. My 3600mah batteries last about 2 hours it seems.

I almost have a short video of Vereen Gardens compiled. I'll post a link when I finish.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Vereen's Gardens, Little River video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBc91jVOHg