Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: SCRCC 2012 Competition Series Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCRCC 2012 Competition Series Discussion

After seeing how long it would be before we could manage to get a large enough group together to hold a meeting I figured we'd just go ahead and take care of this here. This weekend (8/27/11) several of us met to do some practicing at the zoo and then went to eat afterwards. The group of us discussed several things and came up with a good idea of what we will be doing. Marcus was here last weekend and we discussed a few things regarding our series then as well. For now here is what we will be doing, however this is is not set in stone and probable won't ever be, but it will at least be a plan.

Comp Locations and Monthly Schedule:

UPDATED SCHEDULE
1. October 2011 - Neal Shoals in Union, SC
2. November 2011 - Skipping this month for Turkey Crawl
3. December 2011 - Broad River in Columbia, SC
4. January 2012 - Falls Park in Greenville, SC
5. February 2012 - Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC
6. March 2012 - OPEN for new location

* This schedule might be changed depending on other events that might be coming up.

Other possible locations:

Burnt Tanyard in Salem, SC
Holiday Dam near Pelzer, SC
Tugalo Dam in Tallulah Falls, GA
(other locations to be added as discovered)

With this schedule we will be doing the best we can to have a comp located mid-state followed by the next comp being in the upstate. We will hold 6 comps and drop 2. This will help out especially when you aren't able to make it to a comp. It will also help those of us that are chasing the opportunity to go to the nationals event in 2012.

This is how the scoring will be handled. It is the same way the NCRCC guys handle their scoring (unless they've changed something that I'm unaware of). This will make it easier to compare scores as the season progresses.

Year end points will be awarded as follows, per event;

100 first
90 second
80 third
70 fourth
60 fith
50 sixth
40 seventh
30 eighth
20 ninth
10 tenth

3 point bonus for lowest score on a course

Fees were discussed, but I'll let everyone comment on whether they think fees and/or club dues should be charged. The money raised could be used for anything from prizes at comps to paying for the ticket for the series winner to go to Nationals or to hold a cookout/crawl type event at the end of the series.

DISCUSS!

** This discussion is open to anyone that attends our comps since all of it affects you too! **

Last edited by ittybitty; 09-02-2011 at 09:53 PM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Saved for updates.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So only 6 comps and how many we dropping??
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstergt View Post
So only 6 comps and how many we dropping??

Says we will be dropping 2.

Looks good to me Ryan.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited77 View Post
Says we will be dropping 2.

Looks good to me Ryan.
missed that
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I like it

If we do charge fees/dues there will be some people who will not come. I think maybe it could be optional. Example - let's say we decide to giveaway prizes. If you are not a paying member you don't get a chance at the prizes. Kinda like the giveaways on here. This way if we have guys who wanna crawl occasionally they won't be "run off" by having to pay. You could also only count series points for paying members.

Also no matter what you do with the money someone won't be happy. That has happened in every car club I have been in that had dues.

Just a thought Either way is fine with me just sharing some past experiences.

Last edited by Slowbro; 08-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm taking notes and depending on opinions and after the majority of the people that attend our comps reply I'll see what the consensus is on fees.

Just for the record...I'm fine without fees...our goal as a club has been and will continue to be to KEEP THINGS FUN!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
I like it

If we do charge fees/dues there will be some people who will not come. I think maybe it could be optional. Ex - let's say we decide to giveaway prizes. If you are not a paying member you don't get a chance at the prizes. Kinda like the giveaways on here. This way if we have guys who wanna crawl occasionally they won't be "run off" buy having to pay. You could also only count series points for paying members.

Just a thought
I agree with you on the fees Wendall. Good idea on not making it mandatory but having prizes awarded to the paying members only. I think we all want to keep everyone interested in the hobby.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited77 View Post
I agree with you on the fees Wendall. Good idea on not making it mandatory but having prizes awarded to the paying members only. I think we all want to keep everyone interested in the hobby.
x3...we all agree that times are rough right now so anything we can do to keep this hobby as affordable as we can helps.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
I like it

If we do charge fees/dues there will be some people who will not come. I think maybe it could be optional. Example - let's say we decide to giveaway prizes. If you are not a paying member you don't get a chance at the prizes. Kinda like the giveaways on here. This way if we have guys who wanna crawl occasionally they won't be "run off" by having to pay. You could also only count series points for paying members.
i like his idea when it comes to fee's if u dont pay for the comp u dont get counted in the points. so like if the guys come down from other states that dont compete with us all the time they dont have to pay. i like it lol..
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowridinjuggalo View Post
i like his idea when it comes to fee's if u dont pay for the comp u dont get counted in the points. so like if the guys come down from other states that dont compete with us all the time they dont have to pay. i like it lol..
Good deal...so I take it you're fine with all of the other details?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Sounds good to me
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Good deal...so I take it you're fine with all of the other details?
Everything looks good
Old 08-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

all the events and scoring look good to me. just wish it would be starting later as my interest in competeing has vanished for the time being. jeremy wants to keep doing it so i guess i will be as well.

as for the fees i agree with wendall. i think it will cause more problems than anything. i would have no problem donating money to cover the cost of paper, clipboards, timers, ect but as for the competition itself i say keep it free and keep it fun. otherwise the attendance will drop and you will be trying to figure how to get people back out to the comps. the formats we have used over the past 8 comps have proven successful so why change it.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Todd. I take it scaling has stolen your attention? As for the fees it looks like we will keep things like they have been...which makes things much easier on me/us. Money doesn't do anything but complicate things.

Unless someone else posts soon with a stern disagreement to what we have listed above this is how we will run things starting in October! I can't wait!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I like it, and i agree with todd, if we need money for supplies or what ever we will just take donations.
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

how about a big final event with a small entry fee, by this time people will be to invested to give up, and this will allow you to have an end of year prize for the points winner.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I don't understand what is the prob with fees. If 5 bucks hurts u to compete u are in The wrong hobbie on a average everyone has what round a grand in there rigs. I also race some aswell when I do it cost me 22 bucks per class. Got 60 in gas every week not including comp weekends 400 for food a month list goes on and on 5 bucks extra a month is not going to kill me if it was I need to sale my rc stuff just my 2 cents
Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Marcus...the best way I can describe this is like this...

It's like the saying "every penny counts" or "it all adds up in the end". When everyone is spending "round a grand" on their rigs and then they are driving 2.5-3 hours to make it to a comp that $5 is just something else they have to come up with. When a club starts taking up money things get a lot more stressful. If giveaways are your thing...and spending money to make it to comps isn't the issue then your best bet is probably to go to as many of the USRCCA Championship Series of comps like ECC, Rocas Rojos, Battlegrounds, Copperstate Crawloff, Goldendale, etc. After all...if you go to these events and do well you might not have to worry about your placement within the club series!

The biggest response I've had this year from those who have been to our comps is that they like that we have kept them fun...and not gotten too serious. Taking up money is the first step to taking some of the "fun factor" away from each comp.

If we want to do some type of club giveaways where whoever is interested can pay a certain amount and then there will be a giveaway held at the comp where only those that entered/paid can win. Obviously this would have to happen quickly after the event is announced in order to raise the funds...make the purchase...have it shipped...and hold the giveaway the day of the event. The problem with this is that unless you have the majority of the people on board you'll end up with very little money to go towards the prize OR you'll end up having to pay quite a bit more to participate...otherwise the prize isn't worth the effort.

As far as the club goes...we really don't need any funding to support our gate markers, paper, clipboards, or pens. The only item that we could use more of at this time is timers. Maybe we could ask every member of SCRCC to purchase a certain type of timer so we always have that covered (They're $5 at Wal-Mart) I know you've mentioned how other clube handle the fees and how they use it for an end of the year cookout/comp event and/or to go towards the ticket for whoever goes to nationals, but this just doesn't seem worth it and most people in our club seem to be in this hobby for the fun of it...not to chase the nationals ticket.

With all of that said...this is still up for discussion and if someone comes up with another option or an idea feel free to let us know!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

This reminded me of something. I am going to work on putting together another set of gates and give them to someone in the upstate like easleycrawler, M_ENERGY, or Slowbro so that if something kept me from being at a comp that would be covered. Since the tennis balls are free this isn't a problem. Clipboards can be had at the dollar store for...yep you guessed it...$1. I'll include 4 clipboards and a box of chalk with the bucket of gates that I'm gonna make so other than timers we'll have two comp sets.

I know easleycrawler has 2 timers and most of us have a timer on our phones, but if I can ask everyone to try to pick up at least one timer that would make sure that we never have a problem with that.

This is the timer I recommend:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...0534W/14913165