Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Next Scale Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Next Scale Comp

So, had a blast this past weekend and I'm itchin to go again.

Lets get one in the works.

I was thinking we have a few options for comp spots. Here are some options that I know of.

Exit 33 Jeep Trails, Wagner, SC
Jeep club lease that is easy to get to and has plenty of options for courses. This is where we have had 2 comps in the past and it worked well. The only problem, there is only sand and no rocks. But the ease of course building makes up for much of that. And we can bring rocks.

Carolina Crawlin @ Fairfield Park, Spartanburg, SC
Tom at Carolina Driveline has repeatedly offered this location to our jeep club to come crawl whenever we want. It has huge manmade Concrete obstacles and plenty of dirt and rocks as well. Its easy to access and near town. I think the Comp crawlers had a comp here in the past.

Candy Kitchen Offroad Area, Prosperity, SC
Private land near Prosperity, SC. Its about 30 acres that has huge valleys, a creek bed trail, tons of red clay hills and rocky hills. This is a buddy of mines and he said we could use it for a comp. There is plenty of parking there. It is very wooded there, so in the summer it may not be the best option, would probably work better in the fall or winter.

Glendale Shoals, Spartanburg, SC
I have never been there but there has been talk here on RCC about this location. And it looks like it has some great rock formations.

Gulches ORV Park, Laurens, SC
Years ago Gulches hosted rc comps, but it hasn't happened in a while. The only problem with this place is we will probably have to pay some sort of entry fee, and reserve an area of the park for the comp. But we could probably hold the entire comp in the Palmetto Crossing area of the park.

Warehouse #9, Spartanburg, SC
Robert was kind enough to invite us out to his place for a comp a few weeks back. This is a great place with rocks and tons of hills and dirt. There is little to no shade here, so it may be better suited for fall, now that we are getting close to August.

So I say we use a similar format to what we have been doing and set up another event. The more time people have to prepare the better turnout we will have I would think.

I was also thinking about making this a Team event. I really liked the format of the last team obstacle course, and I'm thinking just have 2-3 Team courses with the team scores counting for the comp.

What do yall think?
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

I like it! Lets do this lol
Ajppsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

Default Re: Next Scale Comp

I am in for any of these. I grew up in Glendale and took all of my swift water rescue classes at Glendale Shoals. Its a great place as long as it has not been raining before hand as the rocks get covered by the river after every rain. It has awesome rocks/trails/water. The fairground is also a fun place but can be rather dangerous if your not aware of your surroundings. Hwy 9 was great and would be super fun to go back to. Maybe bring an easy up like Art brought last time... I am in for any of these and happy to help build a course. Lets do it sooner than later, I have the itch BAD!
Fritzn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

i would love to do it at gulches, i also built a pulling truck sled for the next event, i will post some pics of it when i get home
jeepman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzn19 View Post
I am in for any of these. I grew up in Glendale and took all of my swift water rescue classes at Glendale Shoals. Its a great place as long as it has not been raining before hand as the rocks get covered by the river after every rain. It has awesome rocks/trails/water. The fairground is also a fun place but can be rather dangerous if your not aware of your surroundings. Hwy 9 was great and would be super fun to go back to. Maybe bring an easy up like Art brought last time... I am in for any of these and happy to help build a course. Lets do it sooner than later, I have the itch BAD!

I really think Glendale Shoals would be one of our best places to go at the moment! It has tons of rock obstacles, small puddles, dirt and sand mix for majority of the area. We could do a cool teams event through the flatland rock sections or deer trail parts next to the creek. In between the road is nicely shaded woods that would make for a perfect hill climb area. There is also a nice pick nick bench and covering we could take lunch break at (maybe pick up a pizza or something close!) I personally think it would be best for the warmer weather we have right now, the water will make it much cooler. I may be heading towards the upstate in the next 2 weeks and could take some pictures and do some scouting as well.

P.S, We can even do it at my Warehouse on HWY 9 if yal really want to. It may be a bit overgrown at the moment, I havent been back since the last meet! Would probably be better for the cooler weather as well. Im ready to go out there and do this soon!
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

There is one other place.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post

Sounds like an invite...
Full_Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

rob let me know if u come up to scout glendale.
live about 5 mins away
more than happy to help find new spots to scale
freakylee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Throttle View Post
Sounds like an invite...
Why yes it is!! LOL
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
Ive never been to the ONE place mentioned but I have heard its where I need to be crawling...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ive never been to the ONE place mentioned but I have heard its where I need to be crawling...
I wasn't sure if we were cool to go there, Do you have pictures from there posted somewhere?

I would say Glendale shoals would be our best option so far that I know of. I dont know whats at hatefull boys place.

Now we need to pick a date.

Maybe August 17th?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
I wasn't sure if we were cool to go there, Do you have pictures from there posted somewhere?

I would say Glendale shoals would be our best option so far that I know of. I dont know whats at hatefull boys place.

Now we need to pick a date.

Maybe August 17th?
im game anytime
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

How does August 17 sound to everyone? That gives you a month to prepare.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 07-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #14

I second that for Glendale shoals, date works good too
Ajppsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

So how about we set the date and place.

August 17 team comp at Glendale shoals. With a flood location of either warehouse 9 or Carolina crawlin as all three are located near spartanburg.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

That sounds game to me, I think the Shoals will be our best bet for sure! I will be going that ways in the next week or 2 and can do some scouting/pic taking. This place has tons of potential and is a pretty cool area being next to moving water and shaded woods near the bigger rock. However, Cory and I are working a fishing tournament on the 17th but can do it the 18th if that doesnt mess anyone else up!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #17

Sorry fellas that's a no go for Rob and I, we both have to work on the 17th. Any chance for another weekend? If its a big deal we will just have to make the next one!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sorry fellas that's a no go for Rob and I, we both have to work on the 17th. Any chance for another weekend? If its a big deal we will just have to make the next one!

I could do the 18th if that makes it better and works for others.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #19

sundays are better for me anyway
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I hope more people can chime in and we can get a day set in stone!

Last edited by wilbywise; 07-18-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Next Scale Comp - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp #5 July 11th Rock State Park (Scale Run Before Comp) MDcrawler72 Maryland 0 06-20-2010 06:01 AM
Real scale rock crawlers comp at motor fest comp results and pics JEFF THE JET Missouri 5 05-17-2009 05:53 PM
Scale 4x4 R/C Official Summer Scale Comp, Little Rock City, AL Jugg2Driver Competitions 0 02-28-2009 09:09 PM