Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Course Design Comp #1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Course Design Comp #1

I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone on the courses this past comp. I am not able to view the scores for some reason so not sure how many people didn't finish courses.

Just wanted to hear if some thought they were to difficult, to easy, or just right.
Also try to remember which course # it was when giving an opinion
Rays #1 Travis #2 Derrick #3 Ryan #4

I am not asking for solutions in this thread, but just to get feedback from this past comp. The more opinions the better the season "hopefully"
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Course Design Comp #1

OK I got it so I can view scores and looks like the majority were not finishing courses. So definitely would like feedback and maybe be kinda specific with course and gate (the best you remember anyways)
Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well, this was the first time driving a rig since may. So to me they were all difficult. I have comped in tn, ga , ecc, and a nats. We definitely have the hardest courses out of all of them, just my .02 cents.

With this being said, no one wants gates you can just drive through.

Last edited by easleycrawler; 09-22-2013 at 04:14 PM.
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sorry Derrick...I know you asked for specific courses/gates...

Not to continue to toot the SCRCC horn, but I can also say that our courses are harder than 90% or more of the courses I've run in other states and at larger events. I think this is a good thing, but it can also be bad. We don't want to run people off for not being able to complete courses and leading to a less than enjoyable experience.

BUT...like Travis just said, we also don't want gates that are so easy you just point and shoot.

I'm not a huge fan of bonus gates, but I think on a local level they may be a good thing. If we were to set up a 10 gate course with gates that are "easier" than this past comp, but then we throw in a few bonuses that are good and solid technical gates that might make it more enjoyable for everyone. Just an idea...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

100% agree with you.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thats exactly what I had in mind....I would think it would be nice if most of the club was going home finishing close to 3 out of 4 courses at comp. Instead of 0-1 completed course.

Being that it was our first comp of the season I thought it would be good to get feedback from everyone and try to make the rest of the season enjoyable for everyone and to grow SCRCC
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

It was hard for me just for a few reasons, little happy on the trigger finger, cheapo ESC, some body parts getting in the way and just being new in the scale RC world. I didnt care one bit about finishing or the points it was all about having fun and meeting new friends.
thetinman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinman85 View Post
It was hard for me just for a few reasons, little happy on the trigger finger, cheapo ESC, some body parts getting in the way and just being new in the scale RC world. I didnt care one bit about finishing or the points it was all about having fun and meeting new friends.

This wasn't a scale comp. But your more that welcome to come to one of these comps.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'd like to get a little more input on course design.

How can we get more of you involved in actually building the courses. At this past comp I noticed there were 4-5 guys standing/sitting out in the middle while the courses were being built. Building a course isn't rocket science and you'll only learn what goes into if you do it. Not only will it help your skills by seeing how the course is laid out, and the thought process that goes into setting the gates up, but you will be helping to keep things moving throughout the day by chipping in your time and effort.

At the location for the next comp we will probably only be able to set up 4 courses at a time so having everyone chip in to build them will really help to speed things up...especially mid day when we change things up for the 2nd class. I anticipate running 2.2S first thing that morning so that when we run 2.2P we can move straight into finals for it and wrap up the comp.

Any suggestions for getting more people involved in course building, timing, judging, etc?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Assign people to build courses

Sent from me using my DNA
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I agree there is a fine line between course being difficult, challenging, and too easy. Especially with such a wide spectrum of skill levels. I think that the bonus gates are a good way to keep everyone interested and having a good time. Being new to the comp scene it can be little frustrating to not make it past gate 2 on a course. At the same time I can see how a super easy course would be equally frustrating for the veterans.

Last edited by Constant Threat; 09-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I am hoping the next comp will be challenging for everyone! I do think bonuses will be able to keep it interesting for everyone.

The next location can be tricky just from gate to gate due to all the rocks and transitions. So we just got to keep that in mind.

Also I am excited I get to build a course here finally but it won't be insane LOL I only do that to Bruce on practice days

Last edited by M_ENERGY; 09-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

When crawling on rip rap some times the gate can be a bit easier as the trip there can be from hell! I don't think it would be to much to ask for everyone to build half a course. That would be 8 people and about 5 gates a piece.

Sent from me using my DNA
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Post #9

We tend to get the same problems.. like every club I'm sure..

Not only the guys that aren't helping or don't feel comfortable helping, but the groups following each other around at the comp when other courses re open ( more so a little bit bigger group at a comp) Anywho...

if their are 12 guys and 3 courses.. I have suggested breaking the overall group up, 4 guys to a group. Each group can build a course and then judge, time, etc and move together to the next course. Why leave one person judging the same course all day and not getting to see all the courses?

It also allows newbies to get with vets, gets everyone involved, and learning how to judge and read lines to keep everyone moving forward..

of course mix up the groups per comp and or even per class maybe?

My .02 worth for the subject..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Winner...we've been there and done that. It worked really well when we only ran 2.2P but then we branched out and had all 4 classes running at some comps so the group thing made the day much longer since the guys running multiple classes were tied up in their group until they finished 2.2P.

At the location for the next comp (Pleasantburg) the group order could be done again though. We won't be able to run both classes at the same time so we could definitely split up into groups if we want.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

We used it some what at the last comp.. moved 1.9 an 2.2s in the morning along pretty nice..then we all did 2.2p in the afternoon together ( moving from course to course)

Still only had like 5 ppl(2 of them built 1 course together) build 9 courses.. :/ still worked out pretty nice.

The normal rule is build it, run it first, then judge it. We'll guess what.. when the same person is building courses at ever comp, they shouldn't have to judge it! IMO.. that member did their part by building..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
\We'll guess what.. when the same person is building courses at ever comp, they shouldn't have to judge it! IMO.. that member did their part by building..
x1,000

That's why I'm asking what we can do to encourage everyone to chip in at some point throughout the day with course building, judging, timing, picking up gates, etc.

Now that we're running with 2 judges per course with one holding the timer and calling penalties there shouldn't be any reason that any of us can't jump in to record the penalties at least. If you can scribble...you can mark penalties...just do it inside the lines
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

All of this sounds great. But for us, it sure is a pain in the ASS, to get this to happen.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
BDN
Quarry Creeper

Anybody interested in getting back to the question that started this thread?

For me in regards to difficulty of the gates...I don't have allot to compare it to. I haven't crawled with anybody other than SCRCC...So its the norm...If I want to complete a course (or get past gate 1 ) I need to get better!
I think all of the above comments are valid ( the ones that have to do with the original question), So I think the Bonus gate idea will work great
BDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I will have to agree with constant, getting hung on GATE 2 is crazy. If its a hard gate just be sure theres a way to be able to take the gate and proveil to the next gate. I completed mine and rays course and almost did ryans course. The other two had some crazy gates that me, ray or jeremy was able to make it thru. I would like to see the course start out somewhat easy then get harder as the course goes on. Like everone else, just my .02 cents. Look fwd to seeing all of yawl at the comp next saturday
BigSid00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Course Design Comp #1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Website design for comp scores/rankings. T3rry Competitions 0 01-18-2013 11:39 AM
PARC Comp #3 Falcon Hills Course Design Help bmuzz1 Arizona 19 10-10-2009 09:09 PM
Paul's EZ's Design 2.2, 2008 Comp Rig PaulEZK Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 02-28-2008 03:29 PM
comp level crawling course design suggestions please jetboat Chit Chat 3 11-29-2006 07:34 PM