Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: Splicing 3-wire Servo Wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

Default Splicing 3-wire Servo Wires

Do any of you guys know if it's advisable to splice theses wires? I spliced the one coming from BEC last night and now the rig isn't working. I also moved all of the electronics to a waterproof box so it could be another culprit. Just curious if you all have done this...
Attached Images

Fritzn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #2

I have not sure if I would recommend it but I cut,stripped,twisted the wires together and soldered. Don't forget heat shrink. Worked fine after I did it. Hope that helps
Ajppsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Splicing 3-wire Servo Wires

What exactly did you do?

The only thing I did on my rigs is remove the orange signal wire from that connector and wrap it in either eletrical tape or shrink wrap so it can't short out on anything.

I did however splice on a female servo lead to the steering servo wiring so the bec would plug into it. Also removed the white (could be orange) signal wire from that and ran it straight to the receiver via a servo extention.

That make sense?

basically followed this
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

I cut, stripped, twisted, and soldered each wire individually. I then liquid taped each wire individually and then heat shrunk over that. I was having issues with the ESC and receiver getting power. Neither of the two were receiving power. After some trouble shooting I think the negative lead on the BEC battery connection was not connected properly. But my question is, would servo wires not making good connection cause the ESC not to receive the control signal from the receiver? The ESC may be receiving power but it was not chiming or going through the start process.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Is it a new ESC and RX? Or used? Did it work properly before you spliced in the BEC? and the transmitter and receiver are bound already?

And yeah, if the wiring isn't a complete circuit, it could cause funny things to happen.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Do you still have the red wire (not the main power wire)from your esc to the receiver? That may be your issue
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Everything worked perfectly prior to moving things around. The red wire from the ESC has been removed and the BEC was powering the receiver, steering, and lights perfectly until I cut and spliced the servo wires. I'm pretty sure they have a good connection so I'm praying it was a bad connection where the BEC connects to battery power. If not, I'll be in need of a new setup for the comp on Sunday if y'all have anything to sell!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Might have fried something if something got crosswired.

I run my rigs so the RX gets power through the ESC and not through the bec. Lights get straight juice from the 3S battery but are controlled via a HeyOK controller.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Might have fried something if something got crosswired.

I run my rigs so the RX gets power through the ESC and not through the bec. Lights get straight juice from the 3S battery but are controlled via a HeyOK controller.
I have seen it done this way and actually had planned to do it this way but a friend advised me to power the RX through the BEC and not the ESC although I like the idea of powering the RX from the ESC and running everything else on the BEC better I believe.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

IMO it's better to run your bec to your receiver and then everything pulls juice from there (such as servo,lights,winch,servo for two speed ;) ) and let your esc just power your motor. This allows for the esc to be more efficient and also less heat due to its duties getting helped by the bec. Again this is just my opinion

Last edited by Ajppsc; 01-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

maybe you sent too much voltage to the reciever and burned it up. If you had the BEC set to more than 6 Volts and the reciever not being a high voltage reciever it might be gone.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

i am not running anything high voltage off the RX drawing power. anything taking power is straight from the 3S batteries (except steering servo which is at 7v through the bec)
Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Usually I won't chop a device's wires directly, but will add a female then chop that. Reason being, all my servos are now hv so they get powered directly from the bec at 7.4-8v and the internal esc bec powers the rx. Also there are a couple vendors that sell the same sorta thing, alot neater than what I make for myself though
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
What exactly did you do?

The only thing I did on my rigs is remove the orange signal wire from that connector and wrap it in either eletrical tape or shrink wrap so it can't short out on anything.

I did however splice on a female servo lead to the steering servo wiring so the bec would plug into it. Also removed the white (could be orange) signal wire from that and ran it straight to the receiver via a servo extention.

That make sense?

basically followed this
This works ^. However some rx's don't like that the servo isn't grounded to it. Only thing I would watch out for.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

So... after adding a new deans plug and re-soldering the BEC directly to the deans plug still no power at all going to the BEC or the ESC. (Neither the light on the BEC nor the three lights on the MMP come on at all. I by passed the switch on the ESC... no luck. I tried checking battery voltage and its perfect.

The only thing I can think of is that I did get the ESC and BEC "wet" and sandy the last time I was out. I left that part out in the original post because after letting both of them sit for a while they both worked fine when I bench tested them. Now that they are back in the truck no signal at all to the receiver, steering, or ESC. I am thinking that the moisture burned both the BEC and ESC up at the same time, although I think this is unlikely.

Do you all think that both of them may have fried at the same time if they both worked on the bench after they were damp? Seems too random to me but its all I can think of. I just ordered a new MMP and BEC to try and will be sending the old MMP back to Castle for them to diagnose the issue.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it's time to bust out the dmm and start tracing down your connections to see where power is lost. Are your mmp and bec both waterproofed? Did you play in salt or fresh water?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #17

Neither of them where waterproofed in anyway... I know stupid. I deserve it. It was fresh water and they actually got wet when I was rinsing it off afterwards. What a dumb a**. I ordered a new BEC and MMP so hopefully that solves the issue. It's less than 1 year old castle said to return it and they'll send me a new one. Great customer service!

Splicing 3-wire Servo Wires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC and Servo wires 7echo Electronics 5 04-11-2013 07:12 PM
metal ends for servo wires.......... bob1961 Electronics 3 10-03-2011 07:58 PM
Servo wires to other side of case ? maxxflip Electronics 3 07-24-2011 02:57 PM
servo wires? azxj91 Electronics 5 09-17-2006 01:45 PM