Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > South Carolina

Notices

Thread: SC Scaling Group Governing Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Default SC Scaling Group Governing Body

Gentlemen and the occasional Lady,

I wanted to propose something to the group that I've been thinking about for a while. It seems that our group has really grown in numbers in both participants and events. I don't know about the rest of you but the last event left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth...To no fault of the organizers...

I wanted to propose that we elect a panel of 5-7 members (ratio based on accurate representation of a group of 20-30 people) who would meet quarterly or monthly or however we see fit to decide on future comps, finances, locations, refreshments, judging, rules, etc., etc. As part of this group we would elect a treasurer to maintain club finances and keep a club bank account. (I am more than happy to be responsible for this, I manage money for a living)

My vote would be to pay $10 per comp flat entry fee for every single comp. We would use this money to purchase prizes, refreshments, and any rights we may need be at the area we are comping at; ie. pay to use the land if necessary.

I think this would work far better than our current system of every entry paying per class. For example, in the past the group has paid $5 per person. We had 30 people at a recent comp. =$150, we bought approx. $40-$60 in refreshments so what happened to the remaining money? I am in no way pointing fingers, I would just like to see a uniform policy put in place in an effort to facilitate more fun and better competitions. Our sport is growing exponentially and we are all pioneers, I for one would like to lead the way in the sport and develop a strong board to oversee our get togethers.

So, long story short I propose we hold quick elections at the next event or we can nominate names via a poll on this forum. Each person can nominate a board member and then we will all poll to elect.

Any ideas, criticism or cursing are welcomed! It's the only way to get things done.

Cory
Fritzn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzn19 View Post
Gentlemen and the occasional Lady,

I wanted to propose something to the group that I've been thinking about for a while. It seems that our group has really grown in numbers in both participants and events. I don't know about the rest of you but the last event left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth...To no fault of the organizers...

I wanted to propose that we elect a panel of 5-7 members (ratio based on accurate representation of a group of 20-30 people) who would meet quarterly or monthly or however we see fit to decide on future comps, finances, locations, refreshments, judging, rules, etc., etc. As part of this group we would elect a treasurer to maintain club finances and keep a club bank account. (I am more than happy to be responsible for this, I manage money for a living)

My vote would be to pay $10 per comp flat entry fee for every single comp. We would use this money to purchase prizes, refreshments, and any rights we may need be at the area we are comping at; ie. pay to use the land if necessary.

I think this would work far better than our current system of every entry paying per class. For example, in the past the group has paid $5 per person. We had 30 people at a recent comp. =$150, we bought approx. $40-$60 in refreshments so what happened to the remaining money? I am in no way pointing fingers, I would just like to see a uniform policy put in place in an effort to facilitate more fun and better competitions. Our sport is growing exponentially and we are all pioneers, I for one would like to lead the way in the sport and develop a strong board to oversee our get togethers.

So, long story short I propose we hold quick elections at the next event or we can nominate names via a poll on this forum. Each person can nominate a board member and then we will all poll to elect.

Any ideas, criticism or cursing are welcomed! It's the only way to get things done.

Cory
I like what you are saying here except for the $10 flat rate. That works out if you run 3 classes but what about the people that run one class? What I am getting at is the money goes to prizes if you charge 10 for 1 class and 10 for 3 classes the guy paying 10 for 1 class is being cheated out of some green.

Normally it works that you pay for each class you compete in....you pay to play!

Sent from me using my DNA
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SC Scaling Group Governing Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I like what you are saying here except for the $10 flat rate. That works out if you run 3 classes but what about the people that run one class? What I am getting at is the money goes to prizes if you charge 10 for 1 class and 10 for 3 classes the guy paying 10 for 1 class is being cheated out of some green.

Normally it works that you pay for each class you compete in....you pay to play!

Sent from me using my DNA
That was about the only issue I saw as well. But then again if you think about it, 10$ for food/drink and more than 3 chances to get a prize is a hella good deal for running either 1 or 3 classes. Other than that, I like where this is going! Sign me up somewhere haha
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Organization is good! As for the fee, when I race at the track it is a stepped fee. Say 10 for the first 5 for the second and 3 for third.
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

The fee was my problem as well. Maybe the $5 per class is the way to go. It's that way in racing as pointed out.

I really just wanted the group to start talking about it. Thanks everyone for the input and of course all these decisions will be made by the club, for the club on a majority basis. If majority hates it, we will scrap it all together.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm cool with the idea. I like the $5 per class also.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

Default SC Scaling Group Governing Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulboy View Post
I'm cool with the idea. I like the $5 per class also.

I agree with $5 per class. FYI in the past it was $5 a person just to cover the lunch not to compete. Competing was free and members would donate prizes to the comp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ajppsc; 02-19-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Ajppsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

OK, I got back to my laptop instead of my phone.

I like the idea of a governing body. It helps to keep the comps consistent. However I have seen it tear groups apart too. We have to remember that we are all doing this for fun. It is pretty easy to do with the poll system that is built into this forum to take votes on which direction that the group would like to go.

The entry fee should be per class/per driver. I know that the question has been asked if one rig can be shared between 2 drivers. I think this is ok as long as there are TWO entry fees paid.

I think that there should be two tech officials per class. One for the upper portion of the state and one for the lower portion. Because lets face it....no one can make it to every event. Life happens and it is going to keep happening.

For the rules, I think that going off the SORCCA rules is great and the calculator works pretty good as well.

That is all that I can think of off hand right now. I am sure that I will think of more as time goes by.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I figured the rest of the group would want to have more input on this...
Old 02-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I like to build trails and drive my scale crawler with other people. Yall can do whatever you want to do with the governing body. I have a baby due March 10th, so I dont think I will have time to be on any governing board, but I hope to make it to the comps and help any way I can with building trails.

I will say that people tend to get burnt out when you make your hobby into a job. I dont think there has been any misappropriation of funds thus far and I'm not sure we need a governing body. But I'm here to have fun so do whatever you think needs to be done.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #11

I only see one major problem with the idea. We have people coming from GA and NC coming to these comps along with everyone that is scattered around SC. Trying to have an sort of meeting would be next to impossible for some people to attend.

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I go to the comps to have fun. I don't mind paying the entry fee considering it goes towards food and drinks. If any money is left over after that I don't see a problem with the guys that went thru the trouble of setting up the courses and arranging everything having it.
thurayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have a little experience with this so here is my 2 cents. I use to be really big into air soft. Me and my team would go somewhere almost every weekend to play problem was everywhere had different rules and it was sometimes hard to find a game. A couple of people had the idea to elect hey governing body and everything was good for a while. We got a standard set of rules and a calendar showing when and where the events are we even got a website going to tie the entire state together. But it wasn't long until it became nothing but politics backstabbing and arguments, the people felt like they had no voice so they broke off into smaller clubs and overall it hurt the sport in that area for a long time. What I think we need is a facilitator instead of a governor.

facilitator,A facilitator is someone who helps a group of people understand their common objectives and assists them to plan to achieve them without taking a particular position in the discussion. Some facilitator tools will try to assist the group in achieving a consensus on any disagreements that preexist or emerge in the meeting so that it has a strong basis for future action.

in other words a person too focous our ideas and 2 keep track of excess money prizes etc cetera. It doesn't even have to be one person we would probably be better off with two one from the northern part of the state and one from the southern. Just my idea but this would keep more control in the hands of the players and put less emphasis on being boss.

Last edited by smokinloon; 02-21-2014 at 10:30 PM.
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I'll probably only show up to a comp or two here and there so my input really doesn't hold any weight but I say keep it simple. Really simple. Take a note from how the comp guys run that show. Ittybitty and those fellas really have it down to a science with structured fast moving comps.

No entry fees, dues or prizes. Especially just starting out. Just show up and if you run a class you also judge someone elses run in that class. That way one fella isn't stuck judging all day.

Let people bring their own snacks/lunch/drinks if they want and above all make sure the comp spot allows you to use the property.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #14

I am new to the whole thing too so my opinion will also probably not hold any weight but A. if money is the main issue for creating a governing body then why would it cost twice as much for me to run a comp as before (from $5 to $10 or maybe more) and B. if anyone is worried about whether or not this could tear apart a group then just read all the responses before mine. There are many different opinions on how it should work or will not work already making people take sides on how this should go so i think that process has already started. I think it was fine the way it was before. I came to the comp, ran as many classes as i wanted and had a nice meal all for $5. Thats just the way i see it as someone who doesn't know anyone well enough to take a sides. I vote just let it be.
Sigepkyzeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I like the way it is currently. But I am open to change. I am in this for fun. If money was on the line more than bragging rights... I might be more concerned.

I haven't been to one of the competition style crawls so I don't know how they run.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #16

Will the govern body be responsible for get us out of jail for treaspassing with the doubling of the fees to play?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jdgodfrey68; 02-23-2014 at 05:24 PM.
jdgodfrey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgodfrey68 View Post
Will the govern body be responsible for get us out of jail for treaspassing with the doubling of the fees to play?
Ahaa, too funny.. IMO that 5$ per class goes a long ways for everyone. We are out here just having fun with our toy trucks and want to make the best of it. The money you pay simply covers the food/beverages,prizes,etc. However I feel we should have some type of Scaler Series with an event per month covering all of SC! It would be cool to have special points series that carry over to each event (something like AMA Supercross). This is just my 2 cents .
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

That would be the chase for the styrofoam cup
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I wold love to see a points series. I think that would drive people to want to come to more events, drive to get that extra scale point. People can say they do this for fun but its human nature to be competitive. And believe me when I pull a line that someone else can't it makes me smile a little inside. LOL. And if I can't pull a line that someone else does it makes me try harder!

I'm fine with the way things are working now. I think we would loose some of the diversity if we had a governing body.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #20

Obviously this thread rubbed some vaginas wrong. Sorry for trying to make it better and also Sorry that I'm not into traveling hours to watch other people drive due to poor planning.

SC Scaling Group Governing Body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S.E. scaling semnmrc Minnesota 2 08-21-2012 09:29 AM
New to Scaling Nelanzor Newbie General 11 07-11-2012 02:35 AM
Scaling....... Scattman Florida 7 06-11-2012 09:36 AM
Scaling is no longer known as scaling! Sheepdawg23wm Arizona 9 01-22-2012 09:28 PM
Scaling? NJK Hawaii 5 01-11-2012 03:52 AM