Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #501
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!

SSD: What percentage overdrive will your new axle gear give? Will there be an overdrive option for the transmission as well as the axle? I'm so close to buying a kit for my next build but was hoping for more overdrive than the front axle alone.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #502
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
SSD: What percentage overdrive will your new axle gear give? Will there be an overdrive option for the transmission as well as the axle? I'm so close to buying a kit for my next build but was hoping for more overdrive than the front axle alone.
10% in the front axle. No plans for OD in the transmission yet.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #503
I wanna be Dave

Yes.... Chassis has its OWN section now!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #504
Pebble Pounder

Yep it's great!!! Now I'm ready to see this thing in action!!!! I'm still really thinkin this is my next build but want to see it running. Before I jump!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #505
Rock Crawler

Default First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!

SSD.. any hint to weather you guys will be releasing parts separate, like the offset front axle and trans/t-case setup. There’s some parts that would work with my build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #506
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdfmt510 View Post
SSD.. any hint to weather you guys will be releasing parts separate, like the offset front axle and trans/t-case setup. There’s some parts that would work with my build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not anytime soon. As we want to keep those parts exclusive to the kit for now. As with any kit, parts will get released eventually.

So you could just use a Trail King as a base for your build now.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #507

Wow! How was SSD able to get its own subsection? Well deserved and I'm happy to see it!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #508
Rock Crawler

Apparently by coming out with a pretty sweet looking 1.9 trail truck.����
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #509
Gold Star Baby!

Just noticed that the trail king has price dropped to $369.

Hell of a price point for this kit.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...00/p947552?r=0
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #510
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

Oh what to do and spend my money on. This is a dang good price for this. Don't see where you would need to upgrade anything on this kit.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #511
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Much more aggressive price point. I picked up mine on the labor day sale to justify but this now makes it way more appealing. Spend the Money saved on some sliders and weights
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #512

Great price! Hopefully it doesn't mean poor sales.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #513
Gold Star Baby!

Almost a can’t miss price point now, I’d imagine the sudden saturation in the market this summer/fall isn’t making it easy to sell these kits but this price is certainly going to help.

If I hadn’t just got the Capra I’d be all over this.

Soon.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #514
I wanna be Dave

Fantastic price! Roughly what I paid during their 399 sale plus ebay coupon.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #515
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
As with any kit, parts will get released eventually.
Chris, just curious about something. The TK kit had been out for several months, and the 305mm wheelbase conversion kit has been available for a while now. What's going on with the 324mm wheelbase conversion kit? When will it be available?

If it's going to be awhile, can you at least provide the necessary link lengths, so that those who are interested can try lengthening their wheelbase on their own?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #516
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Chris, just curious about something. The TK kit had been out for several months, and the 305mm wheelbase conversion kit has been available for a while now. What's going on with the 324mm wheelbase conversion kit? When will it be available?

If it's going to be awhile, can you at least provide the necessary link lengths, so that those who are interested can try lengthening their wheelbase on their own?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Aside from the front upper link, I’m fairly sure the rest of the links are all SCX10ii compatible so you should be able to use those link sets or perhaps hit up someone like hardcore rc and ask them for just longer rear links to stretch the wb.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #517
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Aside from the front upper link, I’m fairly sure the rest of the links are all SCX10ii compatible so you should be able to use those link sets or perhaps hit up someone like hardcore rc and ask them for just longer rear links to stretch the wb.
That, plus drilling new holes in the rails for the new shock hoops positions, appears to be the best solutions, from what's been determined. At the same time, considering the SCX10.2 & TK rails have "curves", and the VS4-10 rails have "straights & angles", in thinking the SCX10.2 kit, combined with the VS4-10 rails & VFD transmission, plus SSD machined axles, might be the best solution. Thoughts?

Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #518
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
That, plus drilling new holes in the rails for the new shock hoops positions, appears to be the best solutions, from what's been determined. At the same time, considering the SCX10.2 & TK rails have "curves", and the VS4-10 rails have "straights & angles", in thinking the SCX10.2 kit, combined with the VS4-10 rails & VFD transmission, plus SSD machined axles, might be the best solution. Thoughts?

For the VFD I think you’d need to stick with a vanquish offset front (D44 or F9 from the pro kit) or a TRX4 front axle because of the front upper link mount location. The upper link for the ssd offset axles comes from the other side and mounts over the pumpkin, whereas the VP axles and TRX4 have it off to the side. I’m not aware of any other offset axles that have a similar upper link mount location that could be spaced over enough to be functional, but that’s not to say it can’t be done. Having pieced together a VFD based build with VP axles myself recently, I can tell you the pro kit is definitely cost effective if the VFD is your ultimate goal.

For stretching the TK, you may not need to reposition your shock towers though, it would lay the shocks down a bit when you stretch but that might not be a bad thing. At least worth trying before getting the drill out.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #519
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For the VFD I think you’d need to stick with a vanquish offset front (D44 or F9 from the pro kit) or a TRX4 front axle because of the front upper link mount location. The upper link for the ssd offset axles comes from the other side and mounts over the pumpkin, whereas the VP axles and TRX4 have it off to the side. I’m not aware of any other offset axles that have a similar upper link mount location that could be spaced over enough to be functional, but that’s not to say it can’t be done. Having pieced together a VFD based build with VP axles myself recently, I can tell you the pro kit is definitely cost effective if the VFD is your ultimate goal.

For stretching the TK, you may not need to reposition your shock towers though, it would lay the shocks down a bit when you stretch but that might not be a bad thing. At least worth trying before getting the drill out.
Thanks for the info on the axles...much appreciated...I'll check out axles for the TRX-4. As for the VS4-10 Pro kit, I had considered that as a possibility, but if at all possible, I'd like to try and keep costs down. Plus, I'm not all that happy with VP's customer service (replies to emails weren't exactly what I'd call "helpful", as Michael (Pham) would consistently give "half answers", leaving me to try and figure out the parts he left unsaid).

Old 12-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #520
Gold Star Baby!

I think VP is more highly regarded for the quality of their products and their consistent support behind them in rectifying any flaws or issues one may encounter.

With that being said, I don’t know if any manufacturer is going to be the best option for trouble shooting or direction on how to assemble things. You’re better off asking for that kind of help here. But if you ever have an issue with a VP part I’d be surprised if they didn’t get you sorted. Not sure of what you were asking them but figured it was worth throwing out there.

If you’re not set on the VFD there are a lot of different transmissions that are compatible with the vs4-10 chassis, such as the stealth x or traditional 3 gear transmissions, that really open up the axle options.

First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SNEAK PEEK SSD Portals For SCX10 II RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 07-03-2020 04:18 AM
SNEAK PEEK - New Wheels From SSD! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 07-02-2018 09:20 AM
SSD RC Sneak Peek TRX-4 Bronco Winch Bumper RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-26-2018 10:27 AM
Sneak Peek - New SSD Brass Upgrades! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 3 09-23-2017 02:49 AM
wheely king chassis sneak peek!! kreepykrawler HPI Wheely King 63 07-01-2007 06:45 PM