Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #521
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think VP is more highly regarded for the quality of their products and their consistent support behind them in rectifying any flaws or issues one may encounter.

With that being said, I don’t know if any manufacturer is going to be the best option for trouble shooting or direction on how to assemble things. You’re better off asking for that kind of help here. But if you ever have an issue with a VP part I’d be surprised if they didn’t get you sorted. Not sure of what you were asking them but figured it was worth throwing out there.

If you’re not set on the VFD there are a lot of different transmissions that are compatible with the vs4-10 chassis, such as the stealth x or traditional 3 gear transmissions, that really open up the axle options.
I was simply asking what the possible wheelbase lengths were (other than the states 12.3", which equates to 312-313mm). I was never given any specific lengths.

In the first reply I received, Michael told me there's 4 possible mounting positions for the rear shock hoops, but he didn't mention anything about what the lengths were, causing me to have to all what the 4 lengths were. In his next reply, he stated (the obvious) that the 'standard' position was the third back. In that same email, he indicated that "the positions are approximately 12mm alley, but I don't have any of that actual information". That left me to calculate the approximate wheelbase lengths, which I estimated to be 288-289mm, 300-301mm, 312-313mm, and 324-325mm. I replied back, asking if my "calculations" (based on the minimal info he had given me) were correct. He responded back saying, "Yes, that sounds about right." Is this what you'd consider "good customer service"?

As for transmissions, I'm looking for as LCG as possible (as the body I'm considering is slightly heavier that usual), and higher-than-"average" quality (ie. SSD, VP VFD, etc, but not something like RC4WD, or other lower-quality transmissions). And, as for axles, machined (for both quality & weight).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-31-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #522
Gold Star Baby!

I don’t think I’d consider it bad customer service. It’d be a different story if they offered the different link and wb packages, or advertised it as having a bunch of different wb options like the gen 8, but in this case he gave you the info he had available and confirmed what you came up with on your own.

I may be wrong here, but I don’t think you need to be as “strict” with the wb ranges with the 4 different shock tower positions unless you really want your shocks standing straight up and down. Otherwise just stretch it to where you want it and mount them in a position where you’re comfortable with the shocks being laid down a bit.

What you were asking was for a custom application and that’s not really what those support fellows are there for. They are there to help you with issues from existing parts, not so much to brain storm what is possible or how to do a build any other way than their box stock design. I think to have expectations for much more than that from any manufacturer, not just VP, would set you up for disappointment. The people running the support box aren’t the ones that designed the truck and know what is possible. Thankfully for us, they are active here on this forum and do a good job contributing and trouble shooting on the threads here. See boldfin’s thread in the vs410 section and you’ll see Brandon chiming in a lot, as well as in various other threads.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #523
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
What you were asking was for a custom application...
I don't see how asking what wheelbase lengths the VS4-10 chassis supports is "asking for a custom application". I don't mind drilling holes (if I need to), or figuring out what (if needed) longer rear links might be needed. I wasn't asking anything regarding where, if needed, I should drill new holes. All I was asking is what wheelbase lengths, by default, the rails could be set up for. In order to determine if new holes and/or longer links would be needed, one first needs to know the possible wheelbase lengths.

Let me ask you (and others reading this) a question...if you were buying aftermarket wheels for your 1:1 car, and didn't know what tire size(s) would fit the wheels (for your car), and you asked the salesperson, you would expect something like "P245/35R19" (Corvette front tires, in case you're wondering) to be the answer, right? But, what if the salesperson told you "I think those use 19" tires." Would you consider that 'good', or 'bad' CS? All I was asking for was an answer similar to the first tire size answer...what I got was an answer similar to the second tire size answer.

I haven't yet determined if the build idea I have is even possible (I'm still awaiting some info related to the body, which I can't yet divulge). Again, I really like the low CG of the VFD trans, as well as the shape of the VS4-10 rails, which is why I was considering them. At the same time, wanting to keep costs lowered, that's why I was thinking the SCX10.2 Raw Builders Kit. Unfortunately, as you mentioned earlier, I could run into a problem regarding the front axle. I haven't had a chance to check the TRX-4 front axle (will try to do that tonight, while my client is at the San Francisco Symphony NYE Celebration performance)...but, if it could be used, that might help keep the cost down. I did come across another transmission possibility - Xtra Speed SCX10 II Kit Aluminum Transmission Assembly (XTA-XS-SCX230069BK) - but I don't know anything about it (yet), now so I know the quality of their products. The other "problem" is that the SCX10.2 (with SCX10 or Xtra Speed trans) places the trans further back...which brings brings me back to the Trail Finder, or the VFD & VS4-10 chassis kit. There are several advantages of the TF, incl Chris' outstanding CS...but, going that route, and swapping for machined axles, would increase the price to approx the same as the VS4-10 Pro kit. Dilemma, dilemma...lol

Now, if SSD released a 'Trail Finder Expert' kit, containing machined 1-piece axles, that would solve all these problems. :hint hint, Chris:

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 12-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #524

Why are we talking about Vanquish in an SSD thread in an SSD section? It's rude and unnecessarily cluttering this thread on the SSD TRAIL KING.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #525
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why are we talking about Vanquish in an SSD thread in an SSD section? It's rude and unnecessarily cluttering this thread on the SSD TRAIL KING.
This should clear that up...if you read my posts, you'll notice that part of my initial inquiry was about using the Trail King chassis kit, but with the Vanquish VS4-10 rails & VFD transmission.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #526
SSD
RCC Addict

We plan to release longer rear links for the 324mm wheelbase option. Just haven't got to it yet with all the other new platforms we had to support also.
The TK chassis already has the extra holes to support the longer wheel base so it's just longer rear links needed.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #527
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
313mm in the box. We already sell a 305mm conversion: 305mm Wheelbase Conversion for SCX10 II

The chassis is capable of 324mm (TRX4 Land Rover) so will probably make some links to support this.
Did or do you make links/drive shaft to make the kit 11.5ish? Mayble 11.75ish?
To fit the smaller RC4WD WB?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

First Sneak Peek: SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builders Kit! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SNEAK PEEK SSD Portals For SCX10 II RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 07-03-2020 04:18 AM
SNEAK PEEK - New Wheels From SSD! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 5 07-02-2018 09:20 AM
SSD RC Sneak Peek TRX-4 Bronco Winch Bumper RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-26-2018 10:27 AM
Sneak Peek - New SSD Brass Upgrades! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 3 09-23-2017 02:49 AM
wheely king chassis sneak peek!! kreepykrawler HPI Wheely King 63 07-01-2007 06:45 PM