Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Hail the King of Trails from the Land of SSD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
SSD
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hail the King of Trails from the Land of SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How does having threads on the link make it more difficult to assemble though?

M3 on the Panhard bar is fine as well. It looks better IMO and should be plenty strong for that link.
It's much harder to install the rods by hand onto the fixed thread on the links. I guees if the links have flat spots for pliers its a none issue ( I have not checked if they have or not).

We have been selling M3 Ti steering links and panhard links for a long long time with no issues. I prefer the smaller rod ends where possible also.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

SSD links holding up great so far on my 10.2. No issues thus far. I like that the ends sit flush with the link itself. (Pardon the dirty rig)

For others where the link is threaded I just use some shock pliers.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yep, steering servo/horn setup should be opposite of this, horn should swing left/right in same direction as the knuckle arms, ie both pointing forwards OR aft.
This is one of those compromises for the forward motor that doesn't bother me so much. While having the servo swing in the same direction of the knuckles is preferred, it is still swinging in the same plane as the knuckles. Having steering geometry that is 95% as good as the optimal CMS setup is more than a fair compromise for the motor position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Fun looking build. This just may be the kit that brings me back into the hobby.
This is indeed a good one from a build prospective and having driven an assembled one, it is very capable as well. Besides, there is only like 2 more months of riding weather up there and you can't work on the Grom all fall/winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
No issues thus far. I like that the ends sit flush with the link itself. (Pardon the dirty rig)

For others where the link is threaded I just use some shock pliers.
I have no issues with either style of link either, any failures I've experienced were 100% due to rod ends and not link construction.

I will say the setscrew style are easier to assemble if you are only using basic tools. Getting the rod ends on all the way on the threaded solid type links can be a pain if you don't have a tool to properly hold the link.

And now with that wisdom imparted, I bring the latest adventure in readying the King of Trails!

We all remember that super cool scale transmission that serves as the heart of the King, right? Wouldn't it be even cooler if there was some kind of scale engine that mated up to that scale transmission? It totally would.

We start with a block and cylinder heads. These are nicely detailed, molded pieces with a good bit of detailing included. The parts are molded in orange for that classic Chevy 350 small block look and you don't even have to paint anything.

The intake manifold and valve covers are done in this polished aluminum type
finish which is a nice touch.

This is the point where I should mention that these parts should be glued together with either CA or solvent type adhesives. If you don't, your engine will likely fall apart while driving and you will be emailing SSD for replacements. Only those who are NEW 2 ROCKS crawlers and scale truck building would let this happen.

The air filter and distributor were added as well. The chrome air filter cap is a must have on any V8.

I hit my engine with some Model Masters black wash to dirty it up and tone down the shine. It went from brand new to thousands of miles of use in about 10 minutes.

If you are looking for a scale engine to dollhouse, this is a good one. It has several spots of the front for mounting accessories, holes ready to accept bolt on headers, and spots to run spark plug wires.

If the stock engine location is not suitable for whatever body you plan on installing on your King, SSD has you covered. There are 2 transmission spacers available for 3D printing designed to move the motor forward (and up to clear the suspension). I printed the 15 mm version as it seems to be spot on for my use and the style is similar to a trans adapter that would be common for many non-GM application (body hint?).

Just know, I do hear some of you whining from here: "waaaah Ford axle, Chevy engine, waaaaaahhh!" First, I guarantee you accept much more egregious scale inaccuracies on your trucks all the time (wheel wells that are too large, wheel nuts, way out of scale coil overs, exposed M3 hardware on bodies, etc.) And secondly, paint the engine blue, glue the distributor to the front of the intake manifold, and pretend its a Ford 302 if you are truly bothered. Be happy there is a scale engine this nice in the box and learn that life is much better when you don't feel you need to constantly wave that brand loyalty banner.

If you now feel the need to create a post explaining to me all the intricacies that makes the Ford 302 different from the Chevy 350 and why I'm stupid, just know I could not possibly give the slightest of craps regarding whatever argument you are trying to make.

Now that I have completely dismissed the views of the commoners to pronounce mine as the sole truth in the most kingly move possible, the theme of the thread has been maintained.

All for now, peasants.

Move along.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
Gold Star Baby!

Each time I see those motors pieces together (and dirtied up) I’m more and more impressed with the detail and quality. Looks killer.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #25

The engine looks great! Chevy orange FTW!

Also, this thread needs a theme song and the title of this thread reminded me of this song:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
It's much harder to install the rods by hand onto the fixed thread on the links. I guees if the links have flat spots for pliers its a none issue ( I have not checked if they have or not).

We have been selling M3 Ti steering links and panhard links for a long long time with no issues. I prefer the smaller rod ends where possible also.
Ah yes, that makes compete sense. Sometimes threading new rod ends is a pain.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Nice job with the motor, sire, but real vehicle dirt and grease is even better. :-P And just because I'm new 2 rocks doesn't mean I didn't figure out that you swiped my cylinder head so you could try to publicly ridicule me for not properly securing it to prevent escape (or confiscation). I'm on to your little tricks, trail prince!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Nice job with the motor, sire, but real vehicle dirt and grease is even better. :-P And just because I'm new 2 rocks doesn't mean I didn't figure out that you swiped my cylinder head so you could try to publicly ridicule me for not properly securing it to prevent escape (or confiscation). I'm on to your little tricks, trail prince!
I will not stand idly by in the face of such wild accusations, good sir!

First and most important, only the bottle of black wash did not require me to leave my chair thus making it far and away superior to all other methods of detailing!

Secondly, real dirt and grease are only superior to black wash when naturally applied through use. Otherwise, you are just engaging in some form of crude, uncivilized finger painting!

And finally, we live in a world where those who yell the loudest can choose to ignore the most serious claims of wrongdoing when proclaiming their innocence. That is precisely what I will do and no one will question me.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
That is precisely what I will do and no one will question me.
(falls to knees in front of the throne...)

Not I, good king!

(this is looking better and better)
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
(falls to knees in front of the throne...)

Not I, good king!

(this is looking better and better)
Good, good.

Your spinelessness shall be rewarded handsomely with a build update.

Harking back to the posts of yore, we recall the King of Trails was substantially complete. Alas, it seems to always be that last 10% of a build that takes most of the time.

But no more!

Yes, gentle nobles, great progress has been achieved.

We start with the electronics. A great serpent has been called upon to provide motivation when guided by the grand sorcerer of Futaba. While it is a tight fit, the lines of communication from the Castle fit through the engine and to the great serpent.

Also, quite conspicuous, are the great barriers protecting the King which have been installed around the King. The walls of GRC are some sort of flexible plastic meant for the SCX10II but lacked several holes required for the King's assembly. Once the additional holes and trimming around the shock towers were secured, the wall were installed without much issue.

Thus we arrive at a complete King though lacking in a fine wardrobe.

Bumpers and wheels from the King's home of SSD were brought in to complete the assembly. More on those in a moment but gaze upon the V8 goodness we have going on here.

Front bumper is a SSD Wide Rock Shield because all great kings need proper equipment to lead their armies into battle.

An matching SSD Rock Shield bumper was equipped out back.

This one has been specially modified for the King as the mounting base has been flipped for maximum clearance. Flipping the mounting attachment requires removing the 4 screws holding on the mounting post assembly to the outer bumper and countersinking the screws holding on the posts. This allows the whole mounting assembly to be installed flipped around for a little more clearance.

Now we arrive at the wheels.

The fine examples of rolling stock are SSD Trail steel wheels that I had been saving for another build but this seems like a better use. You shall see why.

One final bit before we arrive at the King's outer appearance is an interior.

While not all trucks require a full interior complete with all the trimmings and trappings of a full size vehicle, not seeing batteries and wires through the windshield is a wondrous sight. This simple $10 ebay job will do nicely, just don't stare too long at the crappy paint.

The GRC inner fenders have a few threaded holes on the top side and this seemed like a prime use for them. All that was required was a few spacers in the front to get it level. I printed these spacers because it is easier than looking through parts bins.

We arrive at the grand unveiling!

Presenting the King of Trails!

Eww.

Why is the King wearing a dumpster?

This is certainly a grand tale.

When the King was first announced, dissenters decried "what is it supposed to be with a Ford axle drop and Chevy engine?" I responded that it is up to the builder to have the creative foresight to execute a vision, it could be V8 swapped XJ for example. As frequently is the case, those holding terrible opinions are often the last to know their opinion is terrible. The dissenters respond with "who would build a V8 swapped XJ? HAHA LOLZ". Well, fine purveyor of wrongness, I have and it is glorious.

Gaze upon its dirty, grimy crapiness and respect the total troll job.

Why would anyone V8 swap a XJ? Because how else would you run 38 inch BFG Krawlers and Dana 44s? With a stock engine? Ha! That is a big AMC 4.No.

That proper offset axle is so sweet on this build. Even better is the proper engine included in the kit. In fact, other than the pile of junk on top, it is all sweet.

The flipped rear bumper fits up high and tight to the body.

One modification to run the XJ body was to replace the stock SSD rear body posts with one from the SCXII. This was only for the convenience of having the body pins run parallel to the roof rack rails, the holes on the SSD body posts are drilled the other way.

What else would a box shaped turd run than a set of steel wheels with a fake beadlock ring? If this is a $2,500 truck, its because there was $2,000 spent on tires. These Gmade hubs from the parts bin complete the cheap steel wheel look nicely.

A quick glance in the windows shows how much of a difference even the simplest of interiors makes.

That is a face that no one could love; it is fortunate for this sad lump that love makes no sense.

At least with the high clearance bumpers and big tires, this should be a fun one to drive.

Now, we must bid the King farewell. He chooses the ragged clothes of a beggar to better blend in with the people for the King of Trails yearns to be part of the community, not merely looking down on it from above.

Return in the future to be regaled with tales and sights of action from the King's (hopefully many) adventures!
Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Entertaining thread. Enjoyed it very much so!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #31
Go Buckeyes!

Great build series sir! The XJ looks great and fits this build well!

Looking forward to more tales of the King!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Like from the "TRAIL"?
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
This is indeed a good one from a build prospective and having driven an assembled one, it is very capable as well. Besides, there is only like 2 more months of riding weather up there and you can't work on the Grom all fall/winter.
Well my Grom came RTR so I could disassemble and reassemble it just to ensure all the bolts are tight like some of the guys do with RCs!

I really am considering another bike for a winter project, but that probably won't happen.

Apparently the Trail King was on sale for $400 for Labor Day and I missed it!

Anyway, enough rambling. This build turned out great!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
RCC Addict

So how does the King of Trails crawleth? Is it the champion of rocks and trails? How does it drive and crawl compared to the other peasants of TRX4, Enduro of Element and VS4?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Has the king gone on vacation? We the peasants demand updates.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:07 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

The king is probably sitting back watching the goats being born.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
So how does the King of Trails crawleth? Is it the champion of rocks and trails? How does it drive and crawl compared to the other peasants of TRX4, Enduro of Element and VS4?
The King is capable of remarkable feats unfortunately, our initial quest was short and undocumented. The King will be attending a festival know as Pitbull Off-Road Jamboree in a few short weeks where a great adventure will be undertaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Has the king gone on vacation? We the peasants demand updates.
Updates for the peasants will come when the King gets around to another conquest, the tale of a short, causal stroll does not make for a very enthralling tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The king is probably sitting back watching the goats being born.
Indeed, the King does demand only the finest livestock for his kingdom.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

i was about to tell you SBG has you covered on the engine choice... but then you put a dumpster on it LOLLLLL nice work as always!!!

Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Any updates on this truck?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Have you driven this truck yet?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Hail the King of Trails from the Land of SSD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King Picture Archive - NO TALKING 1BadJeepBruiser SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 38 08-14-2023 09:45 AM
Will Obummers land grab effect King of the Hammers jammin311 Chit Chat 4 02-12-2016 12:29 PM
12 trucks Mudding! Land Rover Honcho Land Cruiser Dingo D110 RSOV Wraith King Hauler boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 06:27 AM
axial wraith vs. Crawler king for bashing/ trails/ crawling strap624 Newbie General 23 09-02-2011 05:17 AM