Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #181

Default Re: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

HumboldtEF, would you mind sharing the files for your front body mounts? I would be forever grateful 🙏.

I'm slowly building this exact rig and I've hit a snag trying to mount this thing with the opening hood.
503RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #182
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503RC View Post
HumboldtEF, would you mind sharing the files for your front body mounts? I would be forever grateful 🙏.

I'm slowly building this exact rig and I've hit a snag trying to mount this thing with the opening hood.

check Thingiverse. He has a lot of his stuff there.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 PM   #183

I did, but unfortunately he hasn't uploaded the mounts for this truck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #184
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
HumboldtEF, would you mind sharing the files for your front body mounts? I would be forever grateful ��.

Quote:
I did, but unfortunately he hasn't uploaded the mounts for this truck. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Hey I'm sorry I missed your post, I'll try to get that uploaded tonight.

I will just add that I set my body a bit high to clear my tires, the body mount I made is only 1 height.

I might also include the rock slider mounts I made as they are also raised up to work with the body height. These still use the stock covers (on the underside).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-22-2021 at 05:58 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:31 AM   #185

Just saw your reply, sorry.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Shoot, I started to gather everything up and realized I would need do a whole write up on it. I will try to get it uploaded tonight whether I have a write up or not. I like to be able to share my designs but I'd like to avoid having to do a bunch of hand holding when people are trying to use them.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Okay now you can thank me, I've uploaded all 13 files.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4815271
Old 06-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #188
Rock Crawler

This is a seriously next level build. This is sick AF.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #189
I wanna be Dave

I think I left this out:
I was able to fit a Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t, I forget the pinion size but I think Its on the small side of what fits. I needed a stronger drag brake for this heavy rig, the 550 did the trick.

This does require you to cut the oil pan back (I have also use the motor spacer which raises the motor cover as well as moving it forward)

The brush hood just clears the upper link mounts on the axle, getting the motor rotated so it clears is a must. Or you could trim that ear off since its not used on that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
This is a seriously next level build. This is sick AF.

Lou

Thanks Lou!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-25-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #190
RCC Addict

Nice rig!
I was browsing this forum section while thinking of getting one of these trail king kits. You have way more patience than I do.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #191
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Nice rig!
I was browsing this forum section while thinking of getting one of these trail king kits. You have way more patience than I do.

Thanks Chris! I do love to build and this project involved a lot of building and rebuilding for sure lol
Old 09-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #192
RCC Addict

Can you recommend this chassis over Element and TRX4?
I've already had both of the others, but looking for feedback. Neither perform as well as my fully mod'd ascenders.
But thinking I need a capable new comp machine for sorca comps since the old iron is getting, well, old. LOL
I'm not real big on hard-bodies in general, much prefer lexan, and haven't seen one I like well enough to get enthused. But surely one that has a hood and room for an interior would make sense with the trail king unit and its scale motor and trans.

I assume you got yours crawling and like it...haven't heard any complaints on the SSD lump.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #193
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Can you recommend this chassis over Element and TRX4?
I've already had both of the others, but looking for feedback. Neither perform as well as my fully mod'd ascenders.
But thinking I need a capable new comp machine for sorca comps since the old iron is getting, well, old. LOL
I'm not real big on hard-bodies in general, much prefer lexan, and haven't seen one I like well enough to get enthused. But surely one that has a hood and room for an interior would make sense with the trail king unit and its scale motor and trans.

I assume you got yours crawling and like it...haven't heard any complaints on the SSD lump.
I really like the Trail King. I feel like the motor position is nice and low which should make for a decent comp setup. I dont know if you have a SCX10.2 or not but its very similar of course, I guess the main difference is the tranny/motor position. I think the TK is likely to fair a bit better than the TRX4 and Enduro which both have a higher than typical CG.

I've been pretty impressed with how well mine does with a 2lb hardbody. Thats a ton of weight for a body but it works well with the super thick shock oil I used (I think it was 75 or 90wt).
Pairing it with a lexan body should be a big step up in performance compared to my setup.

I guess the one thing I'm not a hug fan of is the battery location which is behind the transfer case and turned sideways. I came up with a sort of reversed Ascender battery tray that mounts on the rear axle but thats not comp legal.

That said if you want all out high performance comp rig I'd also recommend checking out a Sherpa or Gspeed build, they're both great options. I just built a TGH Sherpa and my mind has been blown. I built it without any rules in mind just to be as light as possible. There lots of options and lots of parts made specifically for them which wasn't always the case for comp rigs of the past.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #194
RCC Addict

Thanks Casey. Everybody seems to like this trail king chassis.

I got a new Axial Blazer RTR when they came out. Also had a Element Senduro when they came out. Both have since been sold. Neither were very exciting after running them a few times. Both were nice rigs, niether could keep up with my fully mod'd ascenders.
I bought one ascender RTR and built two kits. Built a TRX4 Sport kit. I need to finish making all the upgrade mods to the TRX4, but it's pretty well dialed in. It's a solid platform, but somehow seems somewhat artificial. I dunno, maybe it's the portal axles. I've just never been a huge fan of Traxxas.
The axial chassis is fine, can surely be mod'd to be competitive, and lots of accessory options for the platform. Axial plastic just plain sucks. I hear the III under Horizon is a BIG improvement. On that note, Element gray plastic is recommened to have all screw holes chased or you break off the screws. No complaints with the latest and greatest platforms.

I searched for 'sherpa' and found this:

Actually I've never heard of Sherpa before, but did find their site - looks like german or something. Way too obscure for me, but thanks anyway.

Searching for "TGH Sherpa" I did find their site - never heard of them either, looks awesome, but everything appears to be 'sold out'.

I've never heard of 'gspeed' either, looks awesome, but also too esoteric and obscure for me. I just want a decent kit with everything I can put together in a couple of days and go from there. The Element and SSD kits seem to be my best options...and leaning toward a SSD with overdrive front gears.

I probably already have everything I need to finish one, a new 1080 in the box, motors lying around, wheels, and bodies. I'll probably opt for one of those proline truggy chassis in lieu of waiting for SMF to reply - crickets.

I was asking @Soze on his TK thread and he likes it well enough as well. Lots of good threads in this section on it.

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #195
I wanna be Dave

@Browneye, I think you'll like the TK. If it doesn't fit your needs as a comp rig, it definitely makes for a good scale rig with a hard body setup.

I know you're working with some constraints as far as comp goes (I don't comp), but you might be surprised how far the Element platform has come since the beginning as far as tuning options and capability. The flat rails (sherpa, gspeed) have gained popularity too, and I've got a few in my queue to build, but I'm just enjoying pushing the limits of stock based chassis.

Believe it or not, the TRX4 is the one rig I barely drive anymore. I enjoy my Trail King and Enduro(s) more than the TRX4. Part of it is that I've got it setup mostly for trailing, and my Trail King and Enduro(s) are much more capable for extreme climbs. I've thought of getting rid of it many times, but I want to give it a chance by getting rid of the Sport body + expedition rack setup for something that'll allow more capability to see if I'd enjoy driving it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Casey. Everybody seems to like this trail king chassis.

Searching for "TGH Sherpa" I did find their site - never heard of them either, looks awesome, but everything appears to be 'sold out'.

I've never heard of 'gspeed' either, looks awesome, but also too esoteric and obscure for me. I just want a decent kit with everything I can put together in a couple of days and go from there. The Element and SSD kits seem to be my best options...and leaning toward a SSD with overdrive front gears.

I was asking @Soze on his TK thread and he likes it well enough as well. Lots of good threads in this section on it.

Thanks again!
No problem!

There are a few build threads and dedicated threads here for these platforms.
G-Speed Rigs Only
Holmes Hobbies TGH Sherpas Only

Both of these platforms sell pretty fast so you need to be patient or just lucky. The TGH Sherpa is the only one that will come as a "kit"...ish, its chassis rails, skid, tranny and servo mount. You'll need to supply the axles, links, bumpers/sliders, wheels, tires and body.

It does sound like the SSD TK might be a better fit though as it only requires a body, bumpers, wheels and tires.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #197
RCC Addict

Thanks guys.

SORCA comps are a lot of fun, a great chance to run your truck in a competitive situation. You get points for scale bits, but you really get docked if you can't drive, if you time out or crash, or can't make it thru the section.
Class 1 is the tiny-tire category, basically it's a 'street legal' truck, max tire size is 4.19". I've run this class and for me it's too limited, it drags on everything, poor traction, etc. Did well, but it's just not my cup of tea. The RC4WD tiny trucks dominate this class.

Class 2 is a lot more lenient, created as a 'trail truck' category, not as many scale requirements, max tires to 4.75", this class gets a lot of highly modified rigs.
The wording for the chassis requirement is a 'rail chassis'. I don't know if the flat-rails are even legal, but if guys are building them and comping them and they're popular, they probably allow them. That's just too much of a commitment for me and they're really expensive. Same for the Vanquish stuff - just not in my realm.

The local clubs here have quite a few of these comp days and they're a lot of fun. I don't compete to win, but just to 'also-ran' and enjoy the camaraderie, meet the club members. And it's fun to at least place well. When you get beat out by young kids with rigs their dad built it's maddening. LOL I enjoy it more than just going out to drive them. Seems like it gives purpose to it all.

The element platform is really intriguing. I'm pleased to see it's done well, well accepted, and lots of mods and updates. When the SSD chassis kit came out I wasn't all that excited, and it was expensive, but it's come down in price and makes a lot more sense now. I looked at the SCX10-III and among other things it has portal axles. Naw, I already have the TRX4.

I've been kind of away from the hobby/sport since the pandemic started. Took up mountain biking, kind of became reclusive. But we're getting out more and PLBF was a blast, really re-energized my interest. I sold off a bunch of stuff, so now is a good time to build another one to my liking.

The bomber sold too, my Axial Blazer, Element Senduro. My Ascenders aren't worth much, two of them are pretty hammered, and the third is a shelf-queen - a replica of my old Wrangler TJ. So it doesn't really run much at all.

My TRX4 is the is the 'yota 'cruiser - an old build thread from three years ago: 1965 Toyota FJ40 LandCruiser by Proline
It doesn't get much use, and I think about detailing out the sport-truck body that came with it, but it just doesn't excite that much. I would rather build an interior for the cruiser and finish detailing it out - get a roof rack, a wooden floor inside, stuff like that.

So the SSD Trail King is on the top of my list right now...just about ready to pull the trigger on one - either from Amain or RPP. Get the overdrive front gears, the proline truggy cage, and build it up with one of the bodies I have on hand.

There's no way I'm doing anything like Casey has here - master builder. I'm just not that patient anymore. I want to build one up quick and go drive it. LOL
Old 10-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #198
RCC Addict

TF kit ordered.
A proline half-body cage
Set of injora alloy wheels
I have new in the bag set of proline BFG mudders, new foams coming - gonna try those 'laser foams' Amain has. The crazy-crawler ones I got all went flat - even the firm internal cores got all wonky. My trucks are now on stands.

What motor? Why does everyone install a 16T motor? Final gearing is that low? So I would rather install a 540 Trailmaster motor - how 'bout a 21T for the 3-slot motor?
I have a HW1080 new in the box.

Got injora heavy brass knuckles - hope they work. And a SSD overdrive for the front diff.

I have a chevy silverado body (cab) new in the box - so a truggy it is. Maybe I can do a tilt up body and show the v8 engine anyway.

What else do I need? Oh, a spektrum receiver...anybody got an extra one??
Old 01-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #199
RCC Addict

Default HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

I have so many questions

I’m in the process of printing a LC70 body but I’ve got so much work to do. I’m torn on whether to use the bed or learn to braze and truggy it.

I’ve already printed the headers and SSD motor spacers. Is the battery tray and the boat sides on thingiverse?

Was the interior a killer body thing, or did you buy that separate?

What’s next for this tiny truck?

Last edited by brianw; 01-24-2022 at 02:57 PM.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #200
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
I have so many questions

I’m in the process of printing a LC70 body but I’ve got so much work to do. I’m torn on whether to use the bed or learn to braze and truggy it.

I’ve already printed the headers and SSD motor spacers. Is the battery tray and the boat sides on thingiverse?

Was the interior a killer body thing, or did you buy that separate?

What’s next for this tiny truck?

I did spot your build thread the other day.

I did upload some of the files to thingiverse, the angled sliders are included there. I did not include the battery tray, I had so many different versions and in the end I still had to modify my prints to make them work.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4815271

I was pretty conflicted on whether to upload these because this isnt really suited for beginners and I have no intention of hand holding to walk folks through it. This build thread is as far as I'm willing to go.

The interior is from Killer body. It does add a ton of weight so keep that in mind.

I dont really have any other plans for this rig, It came together well and performs way better than it has a right to (being so heavy)

I would recommend you find a tire that fits better with your build since you're using the tiny stock fenders. The tire determines the ride height and many other details so find a tire that fits and use that for reference as you build. I check this by compressing one side of the front axle and fully extending the other side and turning the tire while checking for body rub (on the compressed side).

I had a hard time fitting 4.3" tall tires and that was with the much larger fender flares. My guess is with the stock fenders you'll want a 4" - 3 3/4" tall tire.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-24-2022 at 07:10 PM.

HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King Picture Archive - NO TALKING 1BadJeepBruiser SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 38 08-14-2023 09:45 AM
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM