Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

How about a mid height bed rack instead of a full cap?

Apparently this type of rack doesn't actually exist for LC 70 series trucks but it could be cool to mix the modern overland Toyota equipment into the more classic offroad Toyota.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Apparently this type of rack doesn't actually exist for LC 70 series trucks but it could be cool to mix the modern overland Toyota equipment into the more classic offroad Toyota.
Kinda "weird" looking, but cool. Of course, I do like "weird", especially when it's a 'good' word ('bad' weird, not so much...lol).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #83

It's looking awesome! I especially love the coolant tank.

I'll have to try to print the radiator soon. Thanks for sharing!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

I think I'll back up one step, the only reason I'm looking into different things to do to the bed is to cover the rear shock towers. Maybe I shouldn't worry about having the shock towers showing or obviously hiding them under something.
I guess I've just heard so many people express wanting to hide the shock towers that I've just absorbed it. Sorry dont mind me i'm just thinking out loud lol.

One other idea is just to own it and come up with a bit of (plastic) sheet metal to box them in and let it be obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
What about rigging up something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I was going to make a similar suggestion. CChand has a cchand priced version of this that looks nice. But if you could come up with the cover I’m sure with your skills you can design the inner frame.
I do like the canvas topper, but yeah since I've bobbed the bed I'd need to make my own version or modify theirs. I dont think my sewing skills would be up to the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Just wanted to say, an incredible build so far - keep up the good work!

Certainly looks to be an interesting chassis by SSD and very good steering figures, with an overdrive that could turn awful quick.
Thanks, it is a well though out rig. Makes me want another to keep simple and light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Yeah when I googled canopies for the lc70 I came up with nothing a first but I eventually stumbled upon some mostly simple square utilitarian designs and some 3/4 height and I did like those a bit better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=land...w=1519&bih=723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Kinda "weird" looking, but cool. Of course, I do like "weird", especially when it's a 'good' word ('bad' weird, not so much...lol).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I also like some oddball stuff but yeah it has to at least fit in somewhat.

I do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's looking awesome! I especially love the coolant tank.

I'll have to try to print the radiator soon. Thanks for sharing!
No problem. Thanks for the nudge, you got me up and working on this again

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-07-2020 at 12:16 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'd need to make my own version or modify theirs. I dont think my sewing skills would be up to the task
If you want, mock something up, take some pics, send me dimensions and I can make something up for ya. I've been making my own backpacking gear for years so my thread injector skills are upto it mate
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
If you want, mock something up, take some pics, send me dimensions and I can make something up for ya. I've been making my own backpacking gear for years so my thread injector skills are upto it mate

Hey thanks for the generous offer

I've been staring at the body for the last few days without the topper on it and I think thats the look I really want.

I tracked down the piece that I cut out of the center of the bed and I've been cleaning it up so I can put it back lol.
I've been overthinking it for sure but I'm just going the route of boxing in the shock towers, trying to make it look "fabricated". After all I do intend it to be a rock crawler not a mall crawler or scale only rig.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

So on the advice of another forum member I checked out Jawstec who is an on demand printing service like Shapeways but with much more reasonable prices.
I had them print the front bumper in glass filled Nylon. They use MJF (multi jet fusion) which is similar to SLS in that its printed in a tub of powder.

I'm pleased with the results, it feels very sturdy and the finish is pretty good. I did get it tumbled just to see how that came out, compared to SLS from shapeways it still has the grainy texture but the tumbling smooths that out a bit. There are some lines in the print that aren't supposed to be there but I'm okay with it.

PETG on bottom (my print), Jawstec print on the top.

I also picked up an interior for the LC70 a while back as I've accepted this body will just be heavy, possibly in the 2 lb range. The interior is really nicely designed with tons of detail, the seats move and recline which is super helpful in fitting a driver.
I had a Duke Nukem figure that seems like a good fit for the scale.

I also got the door cards that are meant for their window kit (functional windows) but I'm planning to not hinge the doors or use the working windows. I just think the body will have a lot more strength with the doors screwed on like stock. Also if the doors aren't fastened they dont align properly so I'm not about to throw all that work away.

I cut off the tops of the door cards because they interfere with using the stock window insert which is a single molded piece of lexan.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-13-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Is there such a thing as overthinking? I mean, look at that interior, I gotta step up my game here!
Old 01-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Luv the inclusion of Duke...and, yeah, he does fit in perfectly, size-wise, as well as with the 'theme'. I'll have to come up with something better than Stormtrooper.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #90
Gold Star Baby!

Moving and reclining seats! Too cool.

All that weight will be well worth it, you’re killing it.

For Jawstec, how long did it take to receive your parts?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #91

So awesome! Jawstec parts look great.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Casey. I finally started on mine as well. I'm pretty much using this as a more "scale" platform as well. I changed my mind on using the LC70 body like I originally planned back when you were just starting. I'll probably keep that for another project, and use a different hard body.

The quality of the Jawstec parts look great. I'll have to keep them in mind. I could also see myself printing a bunch of stuff for this when I get my Prusa.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there such a thing as overthinking?
I think that sums up this build nicely, I may be overthinking the hell out of this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Luv the inclusion of Duke...and, yeah, he does fit in perfectly, size-wise, as well as with the 'theme'. I'll have to come up with something better than Stormtrooper.

Yeah it looks to be the right sized driver, though it always seems off somehow. in the cab he looks right but with just the interior he looks huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Moving and reclining seats! Too cool.

All that weight will be well worth it, you’re killing it.

For Jawstec, how long did it take to receive your parts?
I actually wanted a heavy rig (I didnt have a heavy body in mind though) and it should really make the suspension work. But I'm tempted to build a light weigh trail king too since its such a great layout.

Quote:
So awesome! Jawstec parts look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Looking good Casey. I finally started on mine as well. I'm pretty much using this as a more "scale" platform as well. I changed my mind on using the LC70 body like I originally planned back when you were just starting. I'll probably keep that for another project, and use a different hard body.

The quality of the Jawstec parts look great. I'll have to keep them in mind. I could also see myself printing a bunch of stuff for this when I get my Prusa.
Yeah I'm impressed with the Jawstec parts, great finish and they seem very strong. I order the part on 12/30 and is showed up yesterday though lead times depends on the material chosen.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-14-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there such a thing as overthinking?
Is this similar to the typical "chocolate" question?

Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Ok after much foot dragging and scrapping of ideas I've found a winner for the bed treatment.

Just some simple covers for the shock towers. I want it to look like someone fabbed this out of sheet metal so added some rivets around the perimeter.

Now I hope I can patch up the bed without too much trouble. Problem is I need to patch some tiny 2-3 mm strips which is awfully small to work with. Maybe I'll be better off cutting off a bit of material so the patch strips are a bit bigger and easier to handle.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Looks good Meng.

I've been contemplating how I'm gonna do the same this spring when I build a hard body pickup.

What I was thinking of doing if your still working it out was doing some toolboxes along the sides, just over the wheel wells. The space between a cooler, woodpile, milk crate etc. With the bottoms formed with a Dremel to cover the gaps left. Almost like a cover that looks like a bunch of scale crap.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Hey Casey, you didn't happen to put your headers up on Thingiverse did you?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #98

Quote:
That would be awesome. Headers are the biggest PITA for me to design, personally.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #99
Go Buckeyes!

Nice shock tower covers! Great idea on adding the rivets!

Also, that front bumper looks great!

Great build so far.
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
That would be awesome. Headers are the biggest PITA for me to design, personally.
I have not shared the headers yet but I suppose I could. I wanted to come up with the rest of the the exhaust first but I guess it would be different for each body anyway. There's just no good route to run the exhaust, it would be the easiest if it was just a side exit in the fender.

Jato I just learned a good way to do headers and pipe in fusion 360, do you use fusion 360? This video explains how better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5SxttEWOyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice shock tower covers! Great idea on adding the rivets!

Also, that front bumper looks great!

Great build so far.
Thanks.

I forgot to post the pic after swapping the yellow fog lights out and painting the indicators orange, I think it looks a lot better this way.
Old setup is on the bottom of this pic

New setup

I really need to get going on this one again, I keep picking it up and putting it down. Though I've been distracted by my new PC build and my old PC is taking up space on my work bench while I slowly transfer over what I want to keep. The weather and lack of light after work isnt helping either.

Well with all those excuses I think I'd make a great race car driver

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.

HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King Picture Archive - NO TALKING 1BadJeepBruiser SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 38 08-14-2023 09:45 AM
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM