Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Ssd rear axle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Ssd rear axle help

Hey everyone this is my second time building a kit and im having issues with the rear pinion bearing. I thought i installed everything correctly but when it came time to install the rear driveshaft i noticed that the rear pinion wasn't lining up. So long story short i broke the pinion and then i took apart the rear axle to figure out what i did wrong. The only thing i can think of is i put the wrong bearing on the pinion in the axle. I dont have a size chart with me so im not the best at sizing bolt and nuts and bearings so i was guessing which on fit. Basically i was wonder if anyone can post a pic of the right bearing that goes on the pinion in the axle for me. Any and all help is very much appreciated
mdfjhm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ssd rear axle help

Best suggestion/recommendation on building kits:
Unless you can determine sizes purely by looking, ALWAYS use a caliper for determining anything (bearings, screws, nuts, links, turnbuckles, etc) having a "measurement". Using bearings as an example, I always measure the OD, ID, & thickness. That's the only way you'll TRULY know you're using the right part.

Something that might also help is picking up some multi-compartment locking storage containers. Harbor Freight Tools has several sizes, and all are fairly inexpensive (the 24 compartment ones I got were $12.99 each, tho they do have cheaper ones). For every kit, as I open each bag, the first thing I do is measure each "measured" part, and separate them into their own compartments. This also makes it easier/quicker when picking up parts for installation.

Another great benefit of these containers is, as you accumulate spare parts, you can have them in containers like this, and label each compartment. It will save you a LOT of time, and you'll never have to 'worry' about using the wrong part.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm not clear on how a picture is going to help.

Assuming it you are using ar44 gears, the bearing sizes are 5 x 11 x 4 and 5 x 14 x 5, as listed by SSD.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

Because the bearing i used i think is to large and im hoping someone could show me which bearing is right for the pinion. Unless i didnt push it in far enough to the axle or something. I would post a pic of the bearing i used but my camera on my phone is crap.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfjhm92 View Post
Because the bearing i used i think is to large and im hoping someone could show me which bearing is right for the pinion. Unless i didnt push it in far enough to the axle or something. I would post a pic of the bearing i used but my camera on my phone is crap.
If the bearing was "too large", it wouldn't have fit in. Now, if it was "too small", it could have allowed the great to 'rattle', potentially leading to teeth getting broken, or even to the gear cracking/snapping.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

I figured it out, in my Idiocracy i didnt push the bearing far enough in the diff. But i also noticed that the locker has teeth marks on it. Is that normal?
Old 12-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfjhm92 View Post
I figured it out, in my Idiocracy i didnt push the bearing far enough in the diff. But i also noticed that the locker has teeth marks on it. Is that normal?
That one, I can't answer. Like you, I'm just building mine. All I've gotten done (so far) are the axles & transmission/T-case. I started working on the links last night, but my clients were ready for pickup much earlier than expected. Hopefully, while today's clients are "doing what they're doing" (can't say 'who', or 'what', due to who they are), I should have enough time to finish the links, as well as the next step.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #8

Nice, im getting everything else finished up as soon as the new pinion shows up and i get some model glue for the plastic engine

Ssd rear axle help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rear Axle Hunter711 Axial Yeti 152 09-09-2019 12:56 PM
SSD Wheels and Rear Axle Mendoza Axial Wraith 13 12-22-2018 04:26 AM
SMT10 rear axle SSD? Please Help!! Tommy23490 Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-28-2017 05:18 PM
Ssd rear axle question Shorty123 Axial Yeti 12 03-09-2017 08:51 PM
New SSD Rear Axle Shafts for D60 Wide Axle (XR) SSD Axial SCX-10 0 05-17-2016 10:51 AM