Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Price drop!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Price drop!!

Just read RPP has dropped the price of the kit to $369 11 days after I bought mine. I’m guessing shops are having a tough time selling this kit at $450. I got mine for $404 with their coupon.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Price drop!!

That's really tempting. I'll have to see if I can keep my ADD in check and hold out until Christmas for this one.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I JUST PUNCHED MY ELEMENT SENDERO IN THE FACE.

nah its still a great rig. but man i wish i had the dough right now. stupid slab leak... :( i wanna be down with the king someday. (yes that's a RUN DMC reference for those not savvy with rap history)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

Hmm, that pricing makes it much more appealing. Capra is maybe a bit more tempting at the moment, but well, both would be kind of cool too. I do really like the motor and transmission setup on this.

Maybe I'll do both but then try to sell my old OG SCX10 Honcho.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #5

WOW! I was slightly tempted before but I wasn’t finished building my Enduro, actually I’m still not done and this was started in late August. Now I’m really tempted. Seems kind of soon for a price drop of almost 20%. I hope this isn’t a sign this kit is a one run production.
Toothless9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think the manufacture over estimated the initial price. A lot of people probably wanted this kit but settled for something else leaving these kits on the shelf. Just look at the minimum number of unboxing and driving videos for this kit even though it is fairly new. I think with that price reduction you’re going to see a lot of people going back and grabbing this one to add to their fleet. I’m not saying the original $450 was not worth a kit as I paid $400 for mine and as we can all see there are a lot of upgrades in this kit that would’ve normally added up to more than the initial price if bought separately I think most of us like to buy a lower-priced kit and then build it up slowly as finances allow rather than jump with both feet in first. I expect to see a lot more movement now on this one and since it is similar to the SCX 10ii, upgrades if even needed should be already more than available.

Last edited by evlwevl; 10-09-2019 at 10:29 PM.
evlwevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

it would have been nice if SSD added the front and rear inner fenders
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Well that's disappointing when I just bought one on the Labour day sale and now they drop the price even further. Actually feeling a bit gouged now.

Kinda leaves me with a bad taste in mouth altogether, anybody wanna trade an unopened TK for a equivalent Capra?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Well that's disappointing when I just bought one on the Labour day sale and now they drop the price even further. Actually feeling a bit gouged now.
Imagine the people that dropped $899 for a VS4-10 Origin before they dropped the price to $749.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

still stoked i got my enduro for $10 less than MSRP on launch week from my LHS! (in wakifornia no less!)

that does suck for anyone who paid "launch price" for the trail king. but hey, early adopters are appreciated?
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Imagine the people that dropped $899 for a VS4-10 Origin before they dropped the price to $749.
Ouch, I didn't realize they did that (I'm not a Vanquish fan so I've never paid attention to the VS410..)

That would hurt a little more..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Ouch, I didn't realize they did that (I'm not a Vanquish fan so I've never paid attention to the VS410..)

That would hurt a little more..
I was stoked when I found a 15% off coupon that worked and I got it for $769. I didn't really sweat the price drop, but I maybe would have if I paid full original retail.

Regardless, in this hobby, product prices go down more than they go up for the same thing. You shouldn't feel slighted by paying more for something right when it came out.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I enjoy my Trail King, A LOT.

Price drops, it is what it is. Maybe SSD can offer a promo code for discounts off a purchase for early adopter?
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #14

So is the Trail King worth $200 more than a SCX10 II builders kit? With latest 15% off Horizon promo that's the price difference. Neither come with body, tires or wheels.

$200 will buy a lot of upgrades as obviously the TK is better out of the box. Motor location is much better on the TK, the scale motor is cool but not something that sways me.
crit rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The VS4-10 isn't really a "price drop"...well, it is, and it isn't. The original 'Origin' was $899, but it has been discontinued. The 'Pro' is what's $749, and it's not exactly the same kit. First, there were quite a few improvements made. Second, in ramping up production over the first kit, per-unit production costs were probably lowered, thus those savings can be passed onto consumers. Third...and, this applies to any product-type, be in any industry...knowing how competitive the market segment is, and wanting to attract more customers, that leads to lowering prices even further.

Quality-wise, I can see the reasons people will choose the Vanquish kit over the SCX10 II, or Trail King. The SCX10 II is squarely aimed at the "everyday crawler" segment, although it can be upgraded to be a comp crawler. The Trail King has a number of improvements over the SCX10 II, and it can be upgraded to comp crawler level...but, it is still primarily aimed at the "everyday crawler". The VS4-10, on the other hand, is primarily aimed at the "comp crawler" segment. It would be like comparing a Losi 22S SCT & TLR 22SCT 3.0 - while they target the "everyday basher" with the 22S SCT, the 22SCT 3.0 is squarely aimed at the off-road racer.

SCX10 II & Trail King = "basher"
VS4-10 = "racer"

As we all know, "race" kits cost more than "bashing" kits, partly because of the better parts...and partly because the manufacturers know they can charge more for "race" kits.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 10-13-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crit rat View Post
So is the Trail King worth $200 more than a SCX10 II builders kit? With latest 15% off Horizon promo that's the price difference. Neither come with body, tires or wheels.

$200 will buy a lot of upgrades as obviously the TK is better out of the box. Motor location is much better on the TK, the scale motor is cool but not something that sways me.
Is the Trail King worth $200 more than the SCX10 II? :
Aluminium C hubs
Aluminium knuckles
Steel driveshafts
Titanium links
Aluminium bumper mounts
Aluminum shocks
Steel gears
Steel lockers
More scale design & components
Design improvements
Much better performing chassis
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crit rat View Post

Heck yes its worth the extra $200. If fundage wasnt so low, id buy the TK kit n build it right along with the vs4 im gatherin parts for

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
The VS4-10 isn't really a "price drop"...well, it is, and it isn't. The original 'Origin' was $899, but it has been discontinued.
The Origin dropped to $749 before it was discontinued.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In all likelihood, to sell off any remaining kits. But, the point I was making is, you can't buy that kit anymore, anyways, so anything related to the "Origin Limited" kit is a moot point. The VS4-10...the only Vanquish kit currently available...which has been available for a few months, was released at $749.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Damn, I missed that!

When did shops stop allowing coupons on the Trail King? I thought you could use coupons initially or am I mistaken?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote