Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Bob & Doug Mckenzie's King Richard Petty Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bob & Doug Mckenzie's King Richard Petty Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
WHAT? You gave it up? Oh my
Yes I'm going to stay with the wider axle on the McKenzie brothers entry into the Nasty truck series. We are going to add the front SSD portals to our truck and they are the same width as the rears. One of the perks to using the front portals is that the gears in them can be swapped so we can use it as a underdrive or overdrive addition....

I just wanted to add a little disclaimer here about this mod.
Katan isn't to sure it is a good idea to marry all these parts together and be durable enough to withstand the portal addition.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-15-2019 at 04:25 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Good point Ernie... I love all my SSD stuff and still buying more
Nice mod nonetheless....

You are building a tough truck after all
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Yes I'm going to stay with the wider axle on the McKenzie brothers entry into the Nasty truck series. We are going to add the front SSD portals to our truck and they are the same width as the rears. One of the perks to using the front portals is that the gears in them can be swapped so we can use it as a underdrive or overdrive addition....

Katan isn't to sure it is a good idea to marry all these parts together and be durable enough to withstand the portal addition.
Ernie
I am not really worried about the durability. I don’t run stupid power ( 2s LiPo only nothing else) through me trucks . I don’t go looking for the biggest rock to see how far I can jump me truck. Some might say what I am doing is a waste and have been told that as the dude was looking for a new motor that he just burnt up in the mud. He was mad I wouldn’t sale mine :lmao. Waiting patiently for it to show up. Again thanks for helping me out with this project. It was refreshing to see how we were both thinking about the same things.
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
I am not really worried about the durability. I don’t run stupid power ( 2s LiPo only nothing else) through me trucks . I don’t go looking for the biggest rock to see how far I can jump me truck. Some might say what I am doing is a waste and have been told that as the dude was looking for a new motor that he just burnt up in the mud. He was mad I wouldn’t sale mine :lmao. Waiting patiently for it to show up. Again thanks for helping me out with this project. It was refreshing to see how we were both thinking about the same things.
I think it will be fine, if not I can turn some brass axle tubes. I wanted to try and use all SSD parts if I could, we will see. I just wanted to let you know what Katan's thoughts were.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-15-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think it will be fine, if not I can turn some brass axle tubes. I wanted to try and use all SSD parts if I could, we will see. I just wanted to let you know what Katan's thoughts were.
Ernie

Thank you for your offer on the brass tubes

I think I will be good to go though

Can’t wait to see what is all in the package
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Ernie
Well, I tried adding the SSD portals to my Pro front axle, and ran into a little problem. I made some custom universals to fit the gears in the portals and found that the pivot point on the CVDs that come with the portals is different than the SSD offset universals, so I couldn't get the knuckle portal to screw to the new Pro axle C hubs without binding. Kind of the same type of issue as trying to use AR60 universals in a AR44 C hub/knuckle if you have ever tried doing that. I hope Katan will read this and offer his advice! All the above is JMO, I may be all wet, but I tried several things to get it to work. I'm going to sit on it for now until I can get some of the new alum offset tubes and CVDs SSD is coming out with. I would really like to use the universals because the CVDs only have a 45 degree swing. Help us out Katan.
Ernie
Old 11-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Since this is my winter build, it is slipped in-between Christmas art shows and axle building, so it may seem to be going a little slow.
Well, Zeke and I put in the horsepower this week, so called in the brothers to take a look! We drilled a hole in the hood for the air cleaner to peek out just a little.

The brothers are trying to save a little money so they bought a cheap set of plug wires from a discount auto store. We'll see how they fire.

Zeke is trying to explain it to them.

I trimmed the fenders and decided on a final height for the body. I'm going to use magnets for the rear mounts.

I just wanted to do a simple bar bumper for the rear.

[URL=http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/ledspots/media/King%20Richard%20Nasty-Car%20truck/8-IMG_2405.jpg.html]

Going to be more of a pusher bumper for the front. Some of the guys in the NastyTruck series can get pretty "Nasty"

All for now, thanks for looking!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-27-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

I guess I will do a little update.

Bumpers.

Front offset portal axle with universals and not CVD. 55+ degrees of steering!

Axles ready to install.

Thanks for looking, I will answer questions if any.
Ernie
Old 12-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Ernie! Should be a great bumper for bump drafting!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Man, there's a lot of space beneath those axles. That's nice! Looks great!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I guess I will do a little update.

Axles ready to install.

Thanks for looking, I will answer questions if any.
Ernie
Are you using all off-the-shelf SSD parts for those axles? Or did you work some of your Codyboy magic on them?

I've been sitting on a pile of SSD parts to put SSD portal axles under my SCX10-II 11.4" WB Jeep Mighty FC rig for months, but still can't figure out what is the best way to set them up. SSD has told me they do not recommend using their Diamond Pro or Pro 44 axle sets with the splined cast zinc metal tubes because the portals might spin under stress. So I held off on that.

They said they were coming out with offset machined aluminum axle tubes, which just came out, and I bought a pair of those. I also have their new Trail King Diamond offset front axle, and will use those machined aluminum offset axle tubes when I build it. Can I run the SSD portal knuckles on that axle? Are the offset universals from the TK diamond offset front axle set going to work with the portal knuckles? Or is that the magic Codyboy ingredient?

Thanks for your help.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Beauty, eh.
Thanks, We are getting there slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Very nice Ernie! Should be a great bumper for bump drafting!
Thanks Casey, this is a slow winter build for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Man, there's a lot of space beneath those axles. That's nice! Looks great!

Thanks D, this build is coming together, slowly but surly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
Are you using all off-the-shelf SSD parts for those axles? Or did you work some of your Codyboy magic on them?

I've been sitting on a pile of SSD parts to put SSD portal axles under my SCX10-II 11.4" WB Jeep Mighty FC rig for months, but still can't figure out what is the best way to set them up. SSD has told me they do not recommend using their Diamond Pro or Pro 44 axle sets with the splined cast zinc metal tubes because the portals might spin under stress. So I held off on that.

They said they were coming out with offset machined aluminum axle tubes, which just came out, and I bought a pair of those. I also have their new Trail King Diamond offset front axle, and will use those machined aluminum offset axle tubes when I build it. Can I run the SSD portal knuckles on that axle? Are the offset universals from the TK diamond offset front axle set going to work with the portal knuckles? Or is that the magic Codyboy ingredient?

Thanks for your help.
Hey boldfin, Thanks for asking questions! I will talk you through this for now, and add some picks later.
First off, SSD is coming out with a complete front offset portal axle setup very some, they are just waiting on some parts. That would be the way to go if you want to wait! Having said that, if you follow my builds, I can't leave "stock" as it is. I love the challenge of R&D and changing things up a little. The SSD parts are perfectly functional as they are.
The changes I made are because I wanted to be at about 55 Degrees of steering. And nothing magic about what I do!
Everything is off the shelf SSD parts, with a few Codyboy changes.
Earlier in my build I mentioned that I had a little snafu getting the modified SSD offset universals to work. The distance of the joints is just a few MM longer than the CVDs that come with the front portal kits. So I used a old AR60 trick and drilled out the C-hubs with a 11mm drill bit and the cleaned it up with my Dremel. That allows the universal to set a little deeper into the C-hub. I also had to removed the outer axle bearing (which I think is over kill). If you want to use the bearing just drill the bearing seats in the axle a little deeper with the 11mm bit. I can help you with all of that aif needed!
I am using the new SSD alum offset axle tubes and the diamond housing.
The SSD portal knuckles will fit the chubs, but the SSD offset universals will need to be modified for length and modified to fit the portal gears. I can also help you with those or maybe talk you through the process.
Again, the only reason I didn't wait for the new SSD offset portals is I wanted a little more than the 45 degrees the CVDs offer. Oh and the challenge of seeing if I could make my idea work! If Katan has any thoughts on what I did, I hope he will chime in.
So, easy peasy right? It isn't as hard as it sounds.
Ernie
Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Here are the pics of the changes I made to the front offset portal axles.

Here is what I did to the SSD offset universals.

So I cut down the threaded end and machined them to fit the portal gears and bearings.

Top axle is the stock CVD and the bottom is the Modified SSD universal. You can see the difference in the usable steering angle.

This is a stock C-hub and the SSD C-hub that I drilled out with a 11mm bit and cleaned up with a Dremel.

The above allows for the universal to sit a little deeper into the C-hub and relieve the binding caused by the difference in length of the CVD and Universal.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-11-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #54
Slow is the new Fast

Superb! I like the slow process Ernie, It works well with my short attention span. Anyway, there is plenty to chew on here, as there always is in your builds. Thanks for posting it up
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #55
RCC Addict

This is so fun to watch. I don't have the tools or the brain power to do this sort of thing. But I love when people like yourself can think of things like this and make it happen. Very cool!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Ernie, you need your own show on the Discovery Channel.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here are the pics of the changes I made to the front offset portal axles.

Here is what I did to the SSD offset universals.

[EDITED for brevity]

The above allows for the universal to sit a little deeper into the C-hub and relieve the binding caused by the difference in length of the CVD and Universal.

Ernie
Ahh, I see what you did there. I too would prefer to get max steering angle.
I wonder why they opted to go with CVD's on the new offset portal setup. So might have to give this a try. I've got the parts and the required tools.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Those axles....my my

Every time I see your axles.....makes me think I need this
More money, more money

Got to be the most informative thread on RCC sir. Hopefully I can see this rig in person some day....keep up the good work
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Superb! I like the slow process Ernie, It works well with my short attention span. Anyway, there is plenty to chew on here, as there always is in your builds. Thanks for posting it up
Good evening smog, I always look forward to your comments!
Are you guys snowed in yet?

Quote:
This is so fun to watch. I don't have the tools or the brain power to do this sort of thing. But I love when people like yourself can think of things like this and make it happen. Very cool!

Quote:
Ernie, you need your own show on the Discovery Channel.

Thanks Max-D, and don't sell yourself short, I just been doing this for a long time and been through the school of hard knocks. And I count my blessings every day as to being fit and able to do what I do at 70! As for the brain power I'm sure there are some out there that would question it!!!
And thanks but no thanks on the Discovery Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
Ahh, I see what you did there. I too would prefer to get max steering angle.
I wonder why they opted to go with CVD's on the new offset portal setup. So might have to give this a try. I've got the parts and the required tools.
Go for it, with your skill set it should be easy for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Those axles....my my

Every time I see your axles.....makes me think I need this
More money, more money

Got to be the most informative thread on RCC sir. Hopefully I can see this rig in person some day....keep up the good work
Thanks my friend, very kind words!
We want to try and make it up to see the Lunsford's before Christmas, so I'll give you a shout the day before we go!
Ernie
Old 12-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I'm having a little trouble with our internet server so decide to break this into two parts so I don't lose it again.

Here is the new portal weights from SSD, very nicely done Katan!

Now for a few photos of the steering and clearance I gained with this setup.

55+ degees of steering. Also I can't remember if I mentioned this but by reversing the front portal gears it will give you a overdrive front axle. I haven't figured out how much, but plan to soon.

Front, rear, and side views at 50% droop on the shocks.

Hopefully some of you will give this a try, and if I can help just give me a shout!
Thanks for looking.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 12-21-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Bob & Doug Mckenzie's King Richard Petty Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bob and Doug McKenzie? easleycrawler RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 10-25-2017 11:11 AM
Trigger King R/C Mega Truck Series - Pics & Whatnot thisdougsforu Mega/Monster Trucks 10 06-16-2014 03:31 PM
camping with Bob and Doug kuatto Scale Accessories 15 02-13-2012 08:31 PM