Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Carpetfuzz’s TK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Carpetfuzz’s TK

SSD has been me go to aftermarket company for upgrades on any of me vehicles. When it was announced that they were coming out with their own truck I couldn’t wait to picking up one. The opportunity came and I was all in. The quality is what I have come to expect from SSD. Fit and finish is awesome and everything spins nice and free. Been thinking about how this build is going to go. Doing some different things is going to be a start and see where things go from there.
Chassis all assembled with SSD rims and Holmes Hobbies 550 motor and ProModeler servo

More to come soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Carpetfuzz’s TK

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and how you accomplish what you decide to do. I ordered a Trail King Pro yesterday (will probably be delivered on Tuesday), and am already trying to think of "how" to build it. The more build threads I have to read, the more options I have to consider.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Great looking truck. I'm anxious to get a TK myself.

Which ProModeler servo is that?

Why did you choose the Traxxas Canyon tires?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very nice!

Canyons are great tires... maybe not the most scale, but they sure hook up. Especially if trimmed up a bit.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great looking truck. I'm anxious to get a TK myself.

Which ProModeler servo is that?

Why did you choose the Traxxas Canyon tires?

Stop screwing around and pick one up already the day I sold off one me TRX4 was the day I picked up one. Trying to limit myself to only one brand truck.

The ProModeler servo is the 360. On 8.4 it’s got 360oz in torque and 330oz on 7.4. Both should be more than enough for me being that this truck is not going to be that heavy or it could be not sure yet. Planning on HW1080 and setting it for 7.4 to the receiver. Also for $50 it’s a good deal.

As for the Traxxas tires it’s all a had left sitting here. Me others are dirty and have different hubs on them. Not really planning on using them.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and how you accomplish what you decide to do. I ordered a Trail King Pro yesterday (will probably be delivered on Tuesday), and am already trying to think of "how" to build it. The more build threads I have to read, the more options I have to consider.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I do know I am going in a different direction than everyone else. Not using me normal go to Jeeps. I know one major change is coming
Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Will be looking for it. Also, glad to see ProModeler is doing brushless servos. The last time I checked his site (obviously, a "little while" ago), he had mentioned building brushless, but hadn't actually started. Will have to check his stuff out again, and see what he's been up to. Will also have to see how his offerings compare to Hitec, Futaba, & Reefs. While I really like Tekin motors, especially the Redline Gen3 (I don't use their ESCs...overpriced), I won't use their servos for the same reason (not brushless).

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Very nice!

Canyons are great tires... maybe not the most scale, but they sure hook up. Especially if trimmed up a bit.

Canyons are good tires. They worked great for what I was doing before but going in a different direction
Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Stop screwing around and pick one up already the day I sold off one me TRX4 was the day I picked up one. Trying to limit myself to only one brand truck.

The ProModeler servo is the 360. On 8.4 it’s got 360oz in torque and 330oz on 7.4. Both should be more than enough for me being that this truck is not going to be that heavy or it could be not sure yet. Planning on HW1080 and setting it for 7.4 to the receiver. Also for $50 it’s a good deal.

As for the Traxxas tires it’s all a had left sitting here. Me others are dirty and have different hubs on them. Not really planning on using them.
Haha. I will. Gotta finish my current build that's still in the mail first.

I wish I had your willpower to limit myself to one brand.

Makes sense. Canyons are really good RTR tires, but I wouldn't put them in my top 5 favorite tires personally.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Trying to limit myself to only one brand truck.
The heck with "one brand"...almost impossible, especially when running different types of vehicles. As I have an on-road race vehicle, several off-road racing vehicles, a few 'bashing' vehicles (all of which are being "converted"), and one (soon to be more) crawler, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to stick with "one brand".

Old 12-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The heck with "one brand"...almost impossible, especially when running different types of vehicles. As I have an on-road race vehicle, several off-road racing vehicles, a few 'bashing' vehicles (all of which are being "converted"), and one (soon to be more) crawler, there's absolutely no way I'd be able to stick with "one brand".

I have a couple off road vehicles that I race indoor on carpet off road. As for the crawlers I have several also but to me it’s more fun to change it from truck to truck. Different setups leads to different adventures
Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a couple off road vehicles that I race indoor on carpet off road. As for the crawlers I have several also but to me it’s more fun to change it from truck to truck. Different setups leads to different adventures
Exactly. That's why I decided to start with the Capra, and then continue from there. My next three will be the TK, TF2 & Twin Hammers. I'm also planning a second Capra, although it will be a hybrid of other vehicles, as well - Parks Wraith 1.9, part SCX10.2, part who-knows-what (as in, I'm in the very early planning stages). Should go nicely with my "other" vehicles.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Will be looking for it. Also, glad to see ProModeler is doing brushless servos. The last time I checked his site (obviously, a "little while" ago), he had mentioned building brushless, but hadn't actually started. Will have to check his stuff out again, and see what he's been up to. Will also have to see how his offerings compare to Hitec, Futaba, & Reefs. While I really like Tekin motors, especially the Redline Gen3 (I don't use their ESCs...overpriced), I won't use their servos for the same reason (not brushless).

I have the PM470 in me VS4 Pro and love it. I don’t think that I will need that much for this guy but it to early to tell. If I do there’s always the PM630.

Was never a Tekin fan. Even back in the day I was a Novak guy ( boy do I miss them ). Don’t get me wrong nothing wrong with Tekin they offer great products but just not for me. I just go with the simple brushed stuff and Holmes Hobbies has me business for that.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have the PM470 in me VS4 Pro and love it. I don’t think that I will need that much for this guy but it to early to tell. If I do there’s always the PM630.

Was never a Tekin fan. Even back in the day I was a Novak guy ( boy do I miss them ). Don’t get me wrong nothing wrong with Tekin they offer great products but just not for me. I just go with the simple brushed stuff and Holmes Hobbies has me business for that.
Tekin makes very good motors for off-road race vehicles, although, in regards to their crawler motors, I don't think I'll be giving them a try. Although my thought is to install a hobbywing AXE in the Twin Hammers, HH PPs will be going in the TK & TF2. As for the second Capra, I am completely undecided.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Tekin makes very good motors for off-road race vehicles, although, in regards to their crawler motors, I don't think I'll be giving them a try. Although my thought is to install a hobbywing AXE in the Twin Hammers, HH PPs will be going in the TK & TF2. As for the second Capra, I am completely undecided.

I have always used the Fantom motors for me racing stuff. They have taken great care of me over years especially with the old CO27 Trinity based stock motors that were very popular. Once brushless took over it was just natural to stay with them. I like the way that they let you build your own motor. The last one I got is a monster. Got it built with aluminum can screws to help against the magnetic pull of the rotor. Also changed out the sensor board from steel to aluminum and it is held in place with titanium screws instead of steel. Optional 2% high torque rotor was added in and they were nice enough to give me specs on both. It was also nice to have a Fantom team driver as regular at the local track ( it was good to get his hand me down motors). Motor in the B6 ready to go.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have always used the Fantom motors for me racing stuff. They have taken great care of me over years especially with the old CO27 Trinity based stock motors that were very popular. Once brushless took over it was just natural to stay with them. I like the way that they let you build your own motor. The last one I got is a monster. Got it built with aluminum can screws to help against the magnetic pull of the rotor. Also changed out the sensor board from steel to aluminum and it is held in place with titanium screws instead of steel. Optional 2% high torque rotor was added in and they were nice enough to give me specs on both. It was also nice to have a Fantom team driver as regular at the local track ( it was good to get his hand me down motors). Motor in the B6 ready to go.

The Tekin Remind Gen3 is in my XRAY T4...but, I use Fantom, as well. Currently have two 17.5T ICON Team Editions, a 21.5T ICON Team Edition, & a 13.5T ICON Torque Team Edition. Fantom motors are spectacular.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Tekin Remind Gen3 is in my XRAY T4...but, I use Fantom, as well. Currently have two 17.5T ICON Team Editions, a 21.5T ICON Team Edition, & a 13.5T ICON Torque Team Edition. Fantom motors are spectacular.

That’s a nice collection of Fantom motors you got there. Most people have never heard of them. Once you try one of their motors you will be sold on them
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Congrats on the purchase Fuzz! Happy to see another TK build.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
The Fox shock chassis brace is awesome!
Old 12-01-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Fox shock chassis brace is awesome!
I've seen some doing the same thing on their touring chassis (such as those used in VTA & USGT classes)...although, personally, I haven't found any reason to do that on my XRAY T4.

Quote:
That’s a nice collection of Fantom motors you got there. Most people have never heard of them. Once you try one of their motors you will be sold on them
Thanks. For my off-road race vehicles, it's all in currently using, work the exception of the Team Powers motor in my TLR 5.9 SR (which I'm probably going to swap for an ICON Torque Team Edition). Speaking of XRAY T4, have you seen the 2020 Edition. They finally changed the stock config to a center-mounted (front/rear) motor w/ equal-length front/rear belts. Almost makes me wish I had held back on the 2019 Edition purchase.

Carpetfuzz’s TK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carpetfuzz starts a new Venture carpetfuzz17 HPI Venture 2 03-17-2019 07:19 PM
Carpetfuzz gets a Ascender Bronco carpetfuzz17 Vaterra Ascender 20 11-25-2018 10:12 PM