Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Green Leafer -Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer

As the title says. Taking the SSD Trail King into Retroworld and making it a period/scale correct set of legs for the RC4WD Blazer.

So if you are familiar with these kits and the 76 Blazer, and the RC4WD body, then you konw I have some work to do.
Just starting the thread atm. I'll be adding pics soon and going over the things we do to make it right.

Disclaimer: lol These SSD Kits are very well manufactured. I have the other kit in stock setup built up, just waiting for the shock oil to get here so I can install the springs. If all kits were built to this level of QC, we would have less failures. I may have been out for a decade or so, but quality is recognizable. So when I make whitty/sarcastic comments during this or other builds threads, as I tend to do, don't mistake that as a slam, discrimination, or stab at SSD, the Kit or the Quality. So far, each is top notch. I'm just an asshole somedays. lmao

Last edited by Timmahh; 06-12-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Default Re: Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer

Heck yeah! As the President of the Leaf Spring Mafia, I approve this thread!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

In this first pic we have the built up SSD front axle. The kit has the axle orientation for left side (drivers side) transfer drop. this is great, but not period/scale correct for a '76 Blazer. So the first order of business was to get the axle setup for right side transfer case drop ( more on that later).
In the final setup, the axles will have the metal tubes. I built up the axle with them to start.

Then I grabbed a set of the plastic stock tubes (I have 2 SSD Kits, both getting metal axle tubes, so I have two plastic sets to mess up mocking and testing) and got to correcting them for right drop (passenger side) Pumpkin placement.

Of course, these lumps in the middle of the front axle tubes had to go. They were in the way for leaf spring perches. lol So step one was to remove and smooth the plastic tubes for proper setup.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Heck yeah! As the President of the Leaf Spring Mafia, I approve this thread!
And as the President of this Build, I approve this message. lol
Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

So, with the molded mounts off the tubes and those areas smoothed out, they were installed on the pumpkin along with the C Hubs, then the knuckles, for right drop setup. You may say, but Timmahh, you have the Knuckles on backwards. Do I?
My mammory my not be what it was a bit ago (I'm lying, it's sharp as tack strip) but I don't ever remember seeing a '76 Blazer with the steering setup in front of the pumpkin. lol You'll see why this won't be an issue as we go on this happy trail of madness.

So, anywho, with the tubes 'fixed' and installed for the correct orientation, it was time to fit the leafs on. I mean, after all. It's kinda like wacky tabacky, you can't get it done without Leafs. lol

So I grabbed this set of RC4WD Super Scale Leafs, with a set of GMade Ubolt/screw set and Gmade Perched and got to mounting.

It took some modding to the center case to allow the right side (passenger side) leafer in as close to the correct place as I could. Another mm would be great, but the plastic case may not hold up to that much grinding. So this will work for mock up, and for the metal tubes if I can not get that last mm of movement I could use. The drivers side will go wherever I put it, so i set it up so it was equal distance from the Chubs on both sides for now. I may squeak that last mm for the drivers side on the final install to make it in perfect alignment with the chassis rail. But for Mock up, this is fine.

As for the modding I needed to do to the pumpkin itself, and for the ubolts and perches to work fairly correctly, I had to remove the button head M3 x 4mm and the 2 M3 x 5mm screws, and replace them with M3 4/5 mm set screws that is in the kit (the M5s are used to hold the C hubs on to the tubes and there are a few, the M4 was with the spare screws the SSD kit has (lots of spares great for the parts bin after being out for a decade too).
With the set screws in place, I had to make a notch in the angled supports on the pumpkin that go to the tube mounting area so the Ubolts could be as close to the pumpkin as could be. This was not only needed to get as close to being aligned with the frame rail on the passenger side, but it is also period correct as you can see in these 1:1 pics.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
RCC Addict

A few close-ups of the pumpkin/perch area for the front axle.

Here are some decent shots of the pumpkin mods and the leaf/perch installed.
You'll notice there is a gap between the outer edge of the perch and the axle tube. When I do the final assembly with the modified front metal axle tubes (need to remove most of, if not all of the link and shock spring mount to install the leaf springs on the axle, so hopefully I will be able to keep the top shock mount screw hole otherwise I will need to come up with a way to mount the shock to the axle) I will fab up a small spacer from aluminum or plastic tidbits.
My goal is as close to the 1:1 as I can in setup, performance, and realism.

And a good shot of the gap I need to fill with a spacer so the perch doesn't go off half-cocked in the final setup. lol

Once I get to the point of installing the axles on the chassis, I will see what I have to do about those growths on the top of the pumpkin. They don't likely belong up there on a proper scale 76 Blazer. LoL.

But I have some ideas where I Can use them on this build. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

So how do I know how close the leafs are to the chassis rails?
Line them up of course and look at it. Would you look at it? Just Look at it. Would You Just Look at it? lol

As I said earlier, I have 2 of these kits. This one is to make a replica of my Dads '76 Blazer, so scale and some small mods he had on his mostly stock 76.
I built up the other kit per the SSD Manual the other day. It will be used on a Class 2 rig, with the RC4WD Blazer body too, but that will be made to crawl, but be scale as well of course. However I wont be as concerned on wheel base, or proper pumpkin placement etc as that rig will be for crawling more than the 76 which is going to mimic Dad's daily driver.

So I put the rear axle together with the springs. because I built the axles with the metal tubes, I didn't need to cut the mounts off the plastic tubes for mock up. just fit the Super Scale leafs on the perches and install them with the u bolts. As you may be able to see in the pics, the springs on the rear axle, like the front could use one more mm on each side, but towards the hub, not the pumpkin. So a little grinding will be needed on the mount hole protusions to allow the leafs to move that other 1 mm needed to be in perfect chassis rail alignment. The mounts themselves will also need to be modified fairly significantly, but will still be able to mount to the axle with the 2 mounting bolts, and will leave me the mount for the shock as well.
I'll go over that when I getto the point I need to install the axles on the chassis.

So in these pics, I have the axles in various places to mock-up chassis fitment, which is how I know I need to week the mounts just a smidge if possible. Easy on the rear axle, unsure on the front one at this point, but will know more in a few days.

This should work out just Dandy if I don't say so meself. But I do. I do say so meself. lol

Axles with leafs installed

Eyeing up the front

Always like looking at Rear ends. lol

That ends this lil toe dip into the insanity. More on the next relapse. lol
And the needle goes in.

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-21-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Old 05-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
And as the President of this Build, I approve this message. lol
And if your name is really Tim then we can both agree that's a cool name as well.

I like how meticulous you are being with this build. I don't have the patience for it, but I envy those that do.

Sorry if I missed it, but which brand of leaf springs are you using?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
And if your name is really Tim then we can both agree that's a cool name as well.

I like how meticulous you are being with this build. I don't have the patience for it, but I envy those that do.

Sorry if I missed it, but which brand of leaf springs are you using?

yes, real name is Tim (Timothy) been called Timmahh a decade before there was a South Park. lol

I enjoy the finicky details. It's calms my anal retentiveness. lol I do like to be as correct as possible when required. lol

These are the RC4WD Super Scale Leafs. 40.00 a pair, but they look perfect, and work pretty well from what I can see.

I though about making a set, and could have for less than a few dollars. I may make a set anyways just to say I can/did at some point.

Something seem fishy on that last pic? lol

More on that later.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
yes, real name is Tim (Timothy) been called Timmahh a decade before there was a South Park. lol

I enjoy the finicky details. It's calms my anal retentiveness. lol I do like to be as correct as possible when required. lol

These are the RC4WD Super Scale Leafs. 40.00 a pair, but they look perfect, and work pretty well from what I can see.

I though about making a set, and could have for less than a few dollars. I may make a set anyways just to say I can/did at some point.

More on that later.

I’m good with anything except Timothy. Then I know I’m in trouble!

The leaf springs look great, but how stiff are they?

I don’t notice anything fishy on the last picture. Chrome gets you home!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

More on that later.

I like games, Passenger side drop T-case?

I modeled a T case housing thats narrowed and a passenger side drop in case you have a 3D printer.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I’m good with anything except Timothy. Then I know I’m in trouble!

The leaf springs look great, but how stiff are they?

I don’t notice anything fishy on the last picture. Chrome gets you home!
Ya. Timothy was either Trouble, or Business, which meant trouble. lol
Old 05-23-2020, 01:13 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I like games, Passenger side drop T-case?

I modeled a T case housing thats narrowed and a passenger side drop in case you have a 3D printer.
You may be onto something there. What is it designed to fit?

Don't have a 3D Printer. YET that is. been looking at them in some detail over the last 3 weeks.

Yes, have it currently modded for right drop. Will detail it in a few days.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Been a modding madman for the last 2 plus days. Think I'm getting there. Time will tell. lol

Will have a series of updates to give once I make sure this works.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

Really cool build you got here. Looking forward to seeing more of both of them and glad to see a couple more TKs finding homes.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Really cool build you got here. Looking forward to seeing more of both of them and glad to see a couple more TKs finding homes.
Thanks. Bit of a make it work kind of thing, but it is working out. lol

I like this kit. Tolerances are spot on so far. Been a bit of a bear mounting the shackles for the leafers.

Tell you one thing, if you have to drill any holes in this chassis, you better have some Damn Good bits. This Steel is Harder than real car steel. lol
Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You may be onto something there. What is it designed to fit?

Don't have a 3D Printer. YET that is. been looking at them in some detail over the last 3 weeks.

Yes, have it currently modded for right drop. Will detail it in a few days.
I guess thats the kicker, I designed it to fit a skid I designed to fit a CMAX so its not a drop in fit for anything really. I ended up with a very odd bolt pattern due to trying to make it compact.

You can see some of the parts here HumboldtEF's GCM Racing CMAX FJ40 build

I have a feeling I'd need to rework the design since the driveshaft likely wouldn't clear the tranny under compression seeing as I've moved the front T-case output as far inward as I could. Though it did clear my setup due to the small amount of travel (leafs) and the front offset pumpkin being on the correct side so this may just work for you too after your mods.

If people express interest in this I might give a redesign a shot, this would be something I would share BTW (free).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-24-2020 at 06:06 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

So what would you all sugest for shock oil?

I may not even use the stock shocks and probably wont. They are way long for what I'm shooting for.

I have a set of 4 shocks here from back in the day. I believe they are RCX4WD 80 or 90mm Ranchos. Nice smooth and short shock.
Think I will give them a go as they are short enough to be in their 1:1 mounting positions, or very very close to them anyways.

Will get to those updates at some point here.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Little more adjusting done to the axles and the leaders to get them in the right position and WB. Think I have them set now. A lil more adjustment to the belly pan to fit the right drop modified SSD Transfer case well. Now just need to fab up a mount for it to secure it in place. Should be easy.

Hopefully will be able to give a more detailed update soon as I know this setup will work the way it should, which I believe it will.
Will need new shocks. 60mm in the rear and 90s for the front. Looking at the RC4WD Old Man EMU Shock. Should be a good shock, and be very scale for this build.

Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building a 1:20 S10 blazer 4dr bucks86ta Micro Scale Rigs 4 07-09-2010 08:12 PM