Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Soze's Past Due SSD Trail King Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soze's Past Due SSD Trail King Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Came out really nice! I dig it. The topper and hinge flap are pretty cool.

Glad you were able to get the body to fit without having to change wheelbase and hack it up. Good call on ditching the mirrors. Mine broke off minutes into the first run and now I have a stub on one side and holes on the other.

Regarding the rear Chevrolet decals, IMO it’d be a little cleaner without the black one on top, just my .5 cents.

Love the build
Yeah, not hard to change. I think you're right though. I'll probably pull the one on top.

I think I actually messed up there. I don't think I intended to have a Chevrolet + Chevrolet. I wonder if I put the big black lettered one on first, and then the bottom one last. I think there is a decal where the top one is supposed to be that is just a strip that goes across. I'll have to go check the decal sheet, but good eye!

Last edited by soze; 04-03-2020 at 10:01 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Yeah, not hard to change. I think you're right though. I'll probably pull the one on top.

I think I actually messed up there. I don't think I intended to have a Chevrolet + Chevrolet. I wonder if I put the big black lettered one on first, and then the bottom one last. I think there is a decal where the top one is supposed to be that is just a strip that goes across. I'll have to go check the decal sheet, but good eye!
I did something similar and ordered a big Chevrolet chrome decal for mine then realized I wouldn’t even use it once I got the body done.

Nice job on the driver detail by the way, it’s much harder than it looks to get those to come out good.

Here’s the booty of mine so you have an idea on how it looks with just one decal
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #23
RCC Addict

i think it's appropriate to have the front axle slightly forward. nice work on the build, absolutely love those old K5s
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did something similar and ordered a big Chevrolet chrome decal for mine then realized I wouldn’t even use it once I got the body done.

Nice job on the driver detail by the way, it’s much harder than it looks to get those to come out good.

Here’s the booty of mine so you have an idea on how it looks with just one decal
Looks like both you and I missed that extra decal! I looked at the decal sheet.... and... there's a thin silver strip that lines up with the top of the tail lights. That thin silver strip is on top of the black Chevrolet strip on the decal sheet.

Or maybe you didn't miss it, and decided not to put it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
i think it's appropriate to have the front axle slightly forward. nice work on the build, absolutely love those old K5s
Thanks!

Last edited by soze; 04-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
Gold Star Baby!

Now I gotta go try and dig up that sticker sheet! Lol
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Now I gotta go try and dig up that sticker sheet! Lol
Yeah it's basically thin silver line matching the bottom thin silver line on the black Chevrolet strip.

EDIT:

The one I found on the decal sheet goes directly above the black strip. No idea where that strip for the tailgate handle is though.

Last edited by soze; 04-03-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the SSD Trail King out for a run! I've been cooped up in the house so long that it was nice to go out and hit the trail. Unfortunately, I forgot to remove the double "Chevrolet" decal I had going on in the rear of the truck. Anyway, it was good to finally test out the rig and see how it ran!

Old 04-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Wow, nice trail. It looks like the Trail King ascended it pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Wow, nice trail. It looks like the Trail King ascended it pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it did pretty well. I expected the body to hinder it a bit, but overall I think it did great.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Took the SSD Trail King out to CDM for the first time. CDM is a very unforgiving place for RC Crawler bodies, and I was going to drive as carefully as possible to prevent carnage on the nice looking Blazer body I have on there.
I suppose this is becoming a theme, where I end up with some really nice bodies that I'm just unwilling to bash really hard.
Which is fine, because it'll force me to drive two different ways between performance and scale.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Sweet freaking place to run, whether it did great or flopped. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

More Backlog...

Recently got the SSD Trail King out for a crawl again with the local Crawlholics crew. Was good to get a chance to run this rig again up the hill. Scratched up the body a little more than I expected, as I wasn't expecting to tumble much, but the terrain has changed quite a bit since I last drove here due to erosion or people just trampling up and down the path since this covid situation started.

Last edited by soze; 11-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Backlog

Took the SSD Trail King out for a trail run. It's been a while since I took this rig out. Was a little louder than I remember, and I think my gear mesh might be off, so I'll need to check it. This was a new spot for me, and it's got some nice scale driving lines. I think I'll do more of this type of crawling to mix it up with the beach crawls.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Hmmm...well now I see you have one of pretty much everything on the market, so...how would you rate this compared to the Element chassis? Or the TRX Sport?
I'm thinking of building another comp rig, sorca class 2, probly a truggy type rig with cab and tube frame. I mentioned this on the other thread. So I'm trying to suss out the best chassis kit option.

SMF RC works has those cool tube rear cages but I'm not sure for which other platforms he builds for besides axial. So this SSD TK would be a good option for that.

I built my TRX some time ago but didn't really fully develop it and modify and customize it to optimize and detail out for scale. I stuck a proline land cruiser body on it and ran it a few times, it's a good chassis, but can't really keep up with my fully optimized vateras. So it's kind of been on the back burner so to speak. I could work on it some more, and put a more capable body on it and use it for class 2 comps as well, or instead of a new one. Everybody knows what it's like to start anew. LOL

Give us some feedback on which platform you like best and why, which would you recommend. I like the Gatekeeper rig, but if it's top heavy and not sorca lega (I don't think it is) then I would opt for the kit just for the chassis, and build it to a comp rig from there. That means I'm looking at and comparing SSD Trail King vs Element vs TRX. Any others I'm missing or should consider besides the Vanquish platform? The latter is not budget-friendly so it's out for me, unless there's some compelling reason to consider it. Thanks!

You da man on all these variants!!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Bumping again for a reply. The Blazer looks really great.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Hmmm...well now I see you have one of pretty much everything on the market, so...how would you rate this compared to the Element chassis? Or the TRX Sport?
I'm thinking of building another comp rig, sorca class 2, probly a truggy type rig with cab and tube frame. I mentioned this on the other thread. So I'm trying to suss out the best chassis kit option.

SMF RC works has those cool tube rear cages but I'm not sure for which other platforms he builds for besides axial. So this SSD TK would be a good option for that.

I built my TRX some time ago but didn't really fully develop it and modify and customize it to optimize and detail out for scale. I stuck a proline land cruiser body on it and ran it a few times, it's a good chassis, but can't really keep up with my fully optimized vateras. So it's kind of been on the back burner so to speak. I could work on it some more, and put a more capable body on it and use it for class 2 comps as well, or instead of a new one. Everybody knows what it's like to start anew. LOL

Give us some feedback on which platform you like best and why, which would you recommend. I like the Gatekeeper rig, but if it's top heavy and not sorca lega (I don't think it is) then I would opt for the kit just for the chassis, and build it to a comp rig from there. That means I'm looking at and comparing SSD Trail King vs Element vs TRX. Any others I'm missing or should consider besides the Vanquish platform? The latter is not budget-friendly so it's out for me, unless there's some compelling reason to consider it. Thanks!

You da man on all these variants!!
Hey Chris, didn't see this yesterday.

The Trail King is a fantastic capable chassis. You can set up one with a hard body and it'll still do excellent.

I like the Element Builder's Kit v2 or the SSD Trail King depending on what you want to do.

For scale hard body rig, I really like the Trail king. Mine is lexan right now, but I plan to put one of the RC4WD bodies on it sooner or later.

For my lexan, I like sticking with the Enduro platform. You also have a little more leeway here as far as space to put things, because it doesn't have that large transmissoin that the Trail King has.

We gotta crawl man! I can bring my rigs out for you to see.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Thanks Soze.
I'm leaning toward the SSD kit just for the options available and compatibility with everything scx10.

I'll ping you when we're going to head down to CDM - might be a couple of weeks.

Amain says their price on the kit is 'on sale', so I wonder if that's going to end soon or what. Maybe I should plunk my money down today - it could be over Oct 1 and I don't want to pay another $50 for it.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Got the SSD Trail King out again for another trail run. Love the way this thing drives. It's very well balanced. I may have to eventually pick up another Trail King kit.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Remarkable realism.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #40
Slow is the new Fast

YEp, that is a nice looking rig. Another fine build soze

You gotta post a pic of your collection one day. It must be an impressive assembly
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

Soze's Past Due SSD Trail King Build Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
TRX4 vs SSD Trail King - Help me decide! Bob_in az General Crawlers 19 02-26-2020 04:23 PM
SSD Trail King is now $369.99! SSD New Products and Great Deals 0 10-04-2019 03:13 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM