Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: We know this truck looks good but how does it perform?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default We know this truck looks good but how does it perform?

Are people happy with this compared to say an Element Senduro?
kennebell50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: We know this truck looks good but how does it perform?

48 views and not one reply?
Old 04-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

That's because most people haven't run one. You probably know this already but they're not overly common.

I've only put mine through yard testing but so far it' better than my 10.2, Bom, and Venture. So I'd say it's a performer, for sure.

Super-low Cog, 50* steering, perfect f/r weight bias.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I've never a run Sendero so I can't speak as to any comparison, but I'd expect the TK would be superior; can't compete with that CoG and steering angle. That could just be my own personal bias speaking through. I consider the TK to be a different class from the Sendero - Premium Vs. Economy, Benz Vs. Kia..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I can chime in on this. So i built a enduro kit as soon as it was avaible, overall all its a pretty good truck especally for the price point of the kit. My biggest problem with it though is its so lite and the stock springs are to stiff so it has a high COG stock. I went old school and did the pen spring mod and it made a world of difference in performance and ran it that way for quite awhile with great success. Now its IFS with some brass and hard grey parts with a honcho cab/cage and 4.45 PBR's and treal wheels. its a fun truck and the IFS has made it much more planted and is a complete different driving experience from a solid axle rig.
I fun it more fun (frustating) with tiny tires and IFS, I need to work up a rear sway bar to get more action out of the IFS though.

As far as the TK, I did a shake down run at Cap Sante in Wa. Reefs 422 HD servo, 1080 ESC, HH Torqemaster expert 30T, BEC, SSD wheels with brass rings and stainless weighted rotors, PBR's XL and C.I. 2 stage comps with soft outers.
It's a absolute beast in the rocks, stays planted and that sweet sweet steering. I have since finished it with every SSD part part you can get, brass knuckles, rear axle weights, wide front shock hoops, rear alum hoops, bumpers/sliders, alum front axle tubes, front overdrive, metal diff covers, soft springs, HD stainless lower links and topped it off with a vs410 body.

I ran my first comp (in this state) with it acouple of months ago, it did really good. Although i should have thrown a set of Proline bfg's crawler predator compound on it before the comp, it was a very technical and wet course that day and i feel like the PBR's just werent hooking up enough.

It puts to shame most of my other rigs in the rocks in its class, but all these different rigs have thier pros/cons and places.

Personally i find that the enduro with a afew mods and abit of brass is an excellent nimble truck thats very capable.
The TK is scale, great COG like diablo said, its heavy compared to the enduro. but with overdrive and the steering angle its difficult to beat.
except if its lose dirt then your screwed without wheel speed.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have alot trucks from Axial, HPI, Traxxas, scratchbuilt, and the SSD, but other than being on 1.9s I don't scale. No interiors, Lights, etc... I'm all about conquering seemingly impossible obstacles with toy trucks.

The SSD has earned a place at the top with it's insane steering, low motor position, smooth shocks, and very smooth and slippery undercarriage. Granted I only have about 15 hours on it so far, but other than lowering the truck through preload adjustment, running 45w AE shock oil, and running some 3oz a piece AL wheels it's all stock and I'm only planning on putting OD gears in the front before calling it done. Not often I don't feel the need to tinker/reengineer a toy truck.

I'm really surprised the trail King isn't more popular. I'm impressed with mine. I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. Between steel, Ti, and AL parts the SSD starts looking like a bargain if you try to upgrade another truck with all the features the SSD has stock. It's like they designed it to meet a reliable performance mark instead of a price point.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I'm really surprised the trail King isn't more popular. I'm impressed with mine. I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. Between steel, Ti, and AL parts the SSD starts looking like a bargain if you try to upgrade another truck with all the features the SSD has stock. It's like they designed it to meet a reliable performance mark instead of a price point.
I think it’s hard for a vehicle to get too popular without a recognizable brand name and / or a competitively priced RTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I too have put every SSD part i could buy in my TK. Brass, metal axle tubes, metal diff covers, wide shock hoops, brass shock mounts in rear,, brass pivot balls etc etc. I took it to my very first comp and won with only about a half hour of testing from a fresh build and I hadn't ran an rc riig in 3 years lol. I'm running od in the front, protek 370tbl servo, axe 2300kv. At the time of the comp I was running a proline metric body with the bed, but have since put the proline back half on it because the bed was catching when departing obstacles. This thing is a beast and I absolutely love it. The only issue I had was I had to rebuild the shocks a couple times to get the leaks under control. I do not run the spare pictured during comps. I bought an scx10 iii for a trail rig and now only use the TK for comps. It makes the 10 iii look like a Walmart crawler lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

It makes the 10 iii look like a Walmart crawler lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well that I can believe. I have and have had several Axials and I don't think were ever that good ans they fail to head in the right direction. I know they have a huge following but for me I just don't see why. There are better rigs than Axial by far.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 AM   #10
RCC Addict

just got one of the 2 kits in roller set (minus shocks, waiting on rear shock mounts for the metal rear tubes, they were not included but are required for the sad kit if used, not sure about the SCX10 II)

In roller condition, I get maybe, Maybe 1/4 inch of tire roll before the tranny is turning. Not a 1/4 turn of the tire rotation, but barely any forward/backward movement before the tranny is moving. This drivetrain once together is smooth, tight, and locked down.

Can't wait to get it finished up, put electronics in it, and add the body and get it on the trails/rocks.

Need to tweak a few things as I would like to shorten the wheel base to 11.3, about one inch shorter than the stock setup allows. So I may be needing shorter front and rear links, and need to move the shock posts just a bit to make it fit the RC4WD Blazer body better on the one build.

The other is going full leaf spring, so getting it to work on the RC4WD Blazer body will be much easier, but that will be a Scaled out Class One Daily Driver rig.

I can't report on anything beyond the build process atm, but it it handles anything like it builds, its going to preform quite well when dialed in.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #11

The TK is basically an upgraded SCX10 II and it shows. The quality of the TK is far superior, the chassis is much cooler with the scale layout, and the performance is better.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

We know this truck looks good but how does it perform? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does your losi perform with.... KastanPro Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 08-06-2009 08:10 PM
LOOKIE HERE!!! (Good inexpensive 2.2 parts truck or basher truck...) STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Chit Chat 0 08-24-2007 12:44 PM
how are these supposed to perform?? maxxmeat General Crawlers 11 05-31-2007 05:11 PM
LST tires, how do they perform? dieselfuel Tires and Wheels 13 07-05-2006 12:57 AM
how does a clod perform? xtremecrawler504 Tamiya Clod Buster 3 07-06-2005 04:36 PM