Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer- Dubbed "The Green Leafer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I guess thats the kicker, I designed it to fit a skid I designed to fit a CMAX so its not a drop in fit for anything really. I ended up with a very odd bolt pattern due to trying to make it compact.

You can see some of the parts here HumboldtEF's GCM Racing CMAX FJ40 build

I have a feeling I'd need to rework the design since the driveshaft likely wouldn't clear the tranny under compression seeing as I've moved the front T-case output as far inward as I could. Though it did clear my setup due to the small amount of travel (leafs) and the front offset pumpkin being on the correct side so this may just work for you too after your mods.

If people express interest in this I might give a redesign a shot, this would be something I would share BTW (free).

If you have one of those cases available, I may be interested in one.

Last edited by Timmahh; 06-12-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default Re: Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer

So it's been a minute since my last post. Got a bit further on this one, but not Too much.
I still need to update the drop right T case mods once I set up a mount for it. Then also need to go into the front axle again. going to get the Cs and Knucks on the proper sides (they are on the opposite from where they should be atm) but this allowed for the BTA steering mockup. I may just mod the end of the tubes to allow me to tweak them to set the knuckles in a slightly better position. If that doesn't 'Pan Out' and yes, pun definitely intended lol, I will leave the Knucks to the opposite side and end up removing the pad hard bar mount on the knuckle, as it is pointing down on the left side of the axle, and it should be on the right side of the axle. But for the BTA steering, i may need to butcher that bitch to keep the BTA steering setup.
This is probably the smartest way forward as this may allow me to mount the RC4WD Steering Dampener in a more 'usable' orientation.

Been spending a bit of time cleaning up the old crawling space between me and my nibs place. We used it in 2008-2011 when we were using the orig AX-10 Scorpians. GOod times indeed, and now that area is mostly cleaned up, and expanding from back then, it's going to be way more fun, involved, and Big. We are working over an area for both trail runs and crawling area that is about 40 ft wide, and we may be 250' perhaps 300 ft deep by the time we get down in the mud pit. lol

Besides remodeling my kitchen/dining/living area (removed a wall, reorganized kitchen cabs etc) I need to redo my Bath, clean out my sheds, and generally get off my lazy ass and get the shit done. heh. But Tiny Trucks and another 500.00s dropped tonight for goodies, as well as some other items on their way from an order a few days ago. on a side note, I got the finale part for my secret Class 1 Scale Killer today, so I'm excited to start working on that for this build.

Onward and Upward as that needle goes in. lol

But until those few bits are done I'll leave some photos.
Few more pics of the tranny before it was set in the chassis for alignment and modding for fit.

Sitting in the chassis with the front mounts in place.

One last thing, which is a good thing I may just dump the center chassis plate completely. Don't need it as don't need link mounts, nor do I need it for rails strengthening. I will just make a cross member as it should have, and that will keep the center of the chassis rails strengthened, as well as be a great mount for the modded transfer case. With a little ingenuity and metal. And. 100% more scale. lol

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-31-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:21 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I also need to go over the leaf setup as well.
It took a bit of on and off with everything to figure out the best placement. Still not giggidy about it atm. These Super Scale Leaves are 5.25 long i think. To long for this 11.5wb build. And they are Stiff. bounch is high and many without shocks. Speaking of, I ordered a set of Old Man Emu Shocks. 90mm for the front, and 70's for the rears, and a set of shock boots. The stock 90mm shocks are to long for the rear setup I need to have (scale shit. lol). And they are Yellow. lol with internal spring so they'll, you guessed it. be more scale. lol

I mean it is a leafer and it should be bouncy but they are too stiff, and not exactly well setup on the front shackles yet. Bounces like its on the moon. lol And shocks with 90w wont help dampen that out. hehe.

This also included re adjusting each shackle every time I adjusted the axle. The front is a bit tricky atm, as I still have the stock front bumper mount, and that with it'sscrews gets in the way of clean shackle movement. It bugs me...
I have a brush beater bar for it, so I will probably dump the stock SSD Front bumper mount all together, which will make the front shackle mount issue go away. Just need to setup a way to mount the stock RC4WD Front Bumper behind the brush beater bar then. Plus, it will look and be more 'scale. lol Simple pair of metal amounts to go from the chassis rails to the front bumper mount location should do the trick.
I could take out a few leafs on these (there are 6 in these leafs) but that would not be a good way to use 40.00 a pair leafs. lol

So. I found some amazons 5 spring leafs that I can take one out if I need, They should be softer right away, and still look very scale. They are also about 1/2 inch shorter, so they should be more .3correct for length, as well as just be a better piece for this rig. I just need to make a few leaf clamps for them to keep them together. A few thin strips of good metal, some heat and a pair of pliers and I'll have them bound together lickity split, giggidy.

Here are a few pics of me moving the axles forward or back on the leafs to get the right wb for the RC4WD body. You can see the front springs seem a bit long as well as a bit up, ie they are u'd pretty well, where they should be a bit more flat.

I basically have the front axle on the front hole in the perch mount moving the axle all the way forward in the leaf. This put the front axle in the correct location for the wheel wells. On the rear, I have the perches in the rear hole I think it is.
Once I moved one axle location, I would have to readjust the leafs a bit and then the other axle/leafs a little bit to recenter that axle in it's wells. I took my time on this part as I wanted it to be as close as it could be for the body. Took me a full day between other things to get setup.

a couple of progression pics of axle/body location adjustments and the last pics of the final position.

And the finale setup. Side note. Thes wheels look killer, but they also look like a set of 35s on her. They are 1.9s RC4WDs with the RC4WD Wranglers.
Thinking I will need to drop to 1.7 or 1.5s to get a more scale look. Dad had bigger tires on his blazer, but they weren't no 33's/35's. lol

So I will also probably be getting a set of 1/5s and another set of 1.5 Wranglers.
I may just amazon a set for cheap, but another 100 to RC4WD looks like it may be in the future.

Anyone have any links for a nice set of 1.5s like these I have on?

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-31-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #24
RCC Addict

and another 200.00 goes out the window. lol not really. not yet.

picked up a simple 80a wp esc and a 3800kv motor for the class 1 build for the cost of 2 bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream.
As this will be a 'daily driver' it doesn't need to have much for heavy torque or all that high end drag brake etc. She'll be an easy trail runner for the most part, and road driver, so a bit more wheel speed will be just fine.
I'll leave all the heavy crawling to the other class 2 build... for now.

Also got a cheap 25kg digital servo for less that a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream. lol And I ordered the RC4WD 1.55 Wagon Wheel Beadlock Rims, and Wrangers AT/M Shoes for her.
Add that to the Old Man Emu Shocks and shorter leaf springs that should be here in a few days. the class one will be pretty much ready to roll.

That means I have a crapload of work to get to on the body for this build. Lots and Lots of stuff to do and mod up before she can see paint even.
Probably be end of summer, maybe even fall before this one really gets any run time. After all the elects are here and installed. I'll run it a little with no body, just to set it up correctly, check out it all works as it should, then beat me brains out as I detail the hell out of this body.

Also grabbed a set of 130mm shocks for the Class 2. Those 90mm's are just too short for my flavor, and severely limit travel.

Once they are here early next week, these will be going on her with some 35 or 40w oil, in full droop mode.

No Rest For the Wicked.
And the needed goes in. Again.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
RCC Addict

New leafs came in today. But 1:1 Scale Life too president today. heh.
Will be a lil more busy in the next few weeks doing some of that side of the rc world, but I'll be putting time in the two build over the same period.
By the end of next week, should have most the needed parts to get the rigs trail runnable. Then I'll be able to focus on the bodies.
As this build will get the worx, it will take some time, so I'll focusing the class 2 body and get in on the trail 90% there, then tackle all the stuff I have to do for this body.
Going to be a busy June for Timmahh. But this is good. I'll probably end up being able to finish my Kitchen/Dining/Living remodel, and maybe get a few thing for my Bath remodle. doing a full gut and new with an On Demand WH so that will be plush. lol but that wont be till after the next 'Stimulus' lol.

Any ways. Im going to try to spend some time tomorrow swapping the leaf springs out to these softer/shorter ones, getting the rear axle lined up right and getting it ready for the ESC/Motor to go into along with the Servo. Then I just need to tweak the BTA Steering setup and finish the plastic front tube mock up work and when its ready , test it out a bit. then swap the metal tubes out with needed modes for this rig.

Never a dull moment. heh
Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I also grabbed a 3d Printer that should be here in a few day/week.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #27

Looking good so far. I’ve got a k5 on the bench currently, not mine but for a friend.
Joesstyreneshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesstyreneshack View Post
Looking good so far. I’ve got a k5 on the bench currently, not mine but for a friend.
Its getting better as it comes together and I get things in order. Should be a week or two and it will be ready for the body.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Got the 1st super scale leafs off and put in the slightly shorter Chy-Na no names. fit for the build looks better though the arch of the springs do seem to be a bit heavy, pushing the rig higher. But that won't be much of an issue as this wont be a side hilling climbing rig.

Looks like the 11.3 inch W/B will be easier to do on this too.
Next step is getting the axles mounted back up, and ready for the Old Man Emu Shocks (90 for Front and 70mm for Rear)in the next few days. Which means I have to get the mounts on the rear axle (may not have to mod them with these springs and setup ) and still figure out how to mount the front shocks to the axle. I may make a 90* mount that mounts to the leaf spring bolt. Still need to take a better look once the front axle is on an in place.

few pics on the new leafs.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Few updates to make.

Build sat for about a week. cleared the head and did other stuff. Come back to it with a clear frame of thought. Good to refresh the creative juices once in a few on a project.

So I staired at it for a few, and moved mounts around, then swapped the leafs fronts for back. The fronts had a larger bow to them and it put the front end way high, while the rear sat low on just the leafs.

After the reposition and swap, it sits much more level through the chassis. May still move the rear leafs back a little bit. Just to better situate them to the very rear of the frame rails. I'll move the axles forward on the leaf/perch/mounts to get it back to the 11.4ish inch wheelbase needed for the RC4WD Blazer Body.

Did that a bit earlier today, and will probably move the rear yet tonight and get it set in its final place. Im still in mock up mode so a long ways to go yet.
Some goodies came in a few days ago too. Got the Old Man Emu Shocks here and they'll be installed tonight (rears). But I still need to mod the rear shock mounts to fit in place with the leafs, and determine exactly what I want to do with the front shocks to mount them on the axles. I still have the stock plastic front axle tubes in place for mock up. I removed all the shock/link mounts on them to fit the leafs into place. I still have another set of plastic axles. So I may get this one setup and make everything right, barring the shock mount. then mock up the 2nd set of plastic tubes but work to leave a place or two to mount the shocks on the front axle. Then once that plastic set of tubes is right with the build, I can copy the mods from it, to the metal tubes for the final assembly.

So once I swapped leafs, I put the axles back on and went through the tedious task of getting them on and aligned. Looks a lot better than the Super Scale Leafers as far as scale size, fitment, and function. No where near as stiff. I may remove the smallest spring to soften it up just a bit. If I do, I'll cut one up into leaf bands to bind the leafs together between the shackles and axles.

Shocks for the girl

Front shot with the Class 2 body setting on it for lineup. The Body will be setting a bit lower when mounted of course.

Shot of the front well/axle line up.

One of the rear well/axle

Shot on the front with the wb marks I setup.

And the rears. This should work much better.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

the front leafs have quite the arch to them, seems like that may be part of the stiffness I guess thats due to the length and the available mount points. Consider taking some leafs out and putting them back on top of the main leaf, this will soften it up and help with axle wrap.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:08 AM   #32
RCC Addict

They were even worse before I swapped them front to back after first installing the.

But yes, I agree. they do have a bit of a bend in them. These are 4 leafers, so I could easily remove the bottom and shortest spring all the way around.
They are a bit stiff atm, but no where near as bad as the SS rc4wds. That is probably my next step. I didn't get to them tonight, but I did get my 1.55 wheels put together for her.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:23 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I tried out some used RC4WD SS leafs and man they just bend, its not spring steel at all. I was not happy at all it took all of 5 seconds to decide against them. This was on a CMAX build with a RC4WD FJ40 body, not super heavy but heavy.

I went with Tamiya hi lift leafs, heres the main leaf, sadly they sell them all separate https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam9808091.htm
Amain has listings for some of the other leafs https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?...3&fb=89&lg=fk4
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I'm going to drop out the 2nd shortest leaf on these, and that should be far better in set and soften them up.

Ya, the SS Leafs are meh. especially for 40.00 a fn set. that is stupid pricing and for that cost they should not bend, be fully adjustable, and still cost 10.00 less minimum.

Their rims and tires are decent for the most part ( not comp, but scale anyways), and the shocks aren't too bad. But the more I deal with the rest of it, the more cheap it becomes, thus the more overpriced it ends up being.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #35
RCC Addict

So spent some time over the last couple days when I had a few extra and pulled the 2nd short leaf out of all 4 leafs. Then I worked them a bit to take out the large amount of bow in them and flatten the remaining leafs out some. Spent a little time adjusting and readjusting the leafs mounting positions. Still needs a little work, but for the moment, it will suffice the rest of the mock up.

Figured out exactly what I need to do to the rear shock mounts to get them on the axles with the leafs. Will get to that next round.

Here's where it 'sits' now. Body is loose fit yet. Just a few bolts through the side mount holes to hold it on the side covers. it is almost in the final position, though I want to bring the body down about 1/4 to maybe 1/2 in max when I do the finale mount location.

Few pics of how it looks atm.
Inner shot from the rear

2nd shot of the rear

Shot from the front

Rear Well alignment

Front Well alignment
Old 06-13-2020, 10:45 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Smaller motor and esc (60a with a 3900kv) with programming card are supposed to be here sometime today according to Amazon.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #37
RCC Addict

These last 10 or so pics are with the 1.55 wheels. Looks much better than the 1.9s. Street Scale.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #38
RCC Addict

New Servo Relocation mounds came in for both rigs. Got them Temp installed and setup. Will take a little tweaking and I'll need to get a longer servo horn arm to give a better turning position. But this setup will work with the BTA Steering setup on this rig as it will be a Daily Driver/light trailing rig so it wont see much rough action. It just needs to reliably turn the front wheels, and that will be better with the longer horn arm.

Some pics as it sets now.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Worked on Drive Shafts today. Rear was cut down to 100mm, Front down to 91mm.
Prior I just had the Front Driveshaft on the Rear as the rear was too long with the 11.5 wb.

Thought about buying the short driveshaft for the TRX/SCX10.2 But it would have needed to be shortened a bit as well. So I decided to start with the rear and swap it out, then trim the front down.
No pics, we all know what Driveshafts look like. But I will get pics in the next few days considering the tranny case is flipped so peeps can take a look.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Few pics of the shortened driveshafts in place and a few pics to compare this rig to the Class 2 rig with the manual built SSD Chassis setup and RC4WD Blazer body setup.

Building a TK Leafer SWB for RC4WD Blazer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
building a 1:20 S10 blazer 4dr bucks86ta Micro Scale Rigs 4 07-09-2010 08:12 PM